Does anyone have copies of trial papers from this year? (1 Viewer)

TheOnePheeph

HSC
I sat the independent trial, and want to try out some other papers from this year, mainly from Sydney Grammar, James Ruse, Sydney Boys/Girls etc ( I have done a lot of the past years on thsc already). Thank you in advance for any response.

HeroWise

HSC
How did u go for the independent paper btw

TheOnePheeph

HSC
How did u go for the independent paper btw
96, with nothing taken out of the paper. I'm quite annoyed at the mistakes I made though: In one it was a probability question in which I wrote the complete correct method then wrote down the final expression wrong, another I forgot to square root the modulus of a complex number, and another I drew a force diagram wrong. Gotta iron those mistakes out for the hsc lol.

HeroWise

HSC
The long probability question? or the Madagascar in MC lol

TheOnePheeph

HSC
The long probability question? or the Madagascar in MC lol
Long probability question, I think part 3? (I'll need to have another look at the paper). I'm more annoyed about the force diagram one, (the one where it is rotating on the hyperbola). I did the question too fast and just assumed the normal and tension were perpendicular. Looking at the question in hindsight was really painful lol. How did you go in the paper?

Last edited:

akkjen

HSC
N/A
i make those same silly mistakes too (although not for 4u, but instead 2u maths lol), how are planning on ironing them out? Would help me quite a lot since that is where I lose a lot of marks from.

TheOnePheeph

HSC
i make those same silly mistakes too (although not for 4u, but instead 2u maths lol), how are planning on ironing them out? Would help me quite a lot since that is where I lose a lot of marks from.
Usually just repeatedly doing trials helps, as you are able to refine your accuracy under exam conditions. Also, a lot of questions in 2u can be verified by doing them with alternate methods and seeing if you get the same answer. Most importantly is properly checking your work. Reread over every question quite carefully, and try to repeat certain calculator computations. I remember in the hsc exam last year for 2u, I nearly got the very 1st question wrong, just because I pressed the buttons on the calculator too fast and stuffed up my calculation lol.

HeroWise

HSC
I got 94 i missed the conics qtn. I completely forgot conics

DrEuler

HSC
N/A
How'd you guys find CSSA compared to HSC?

Any interesting parts in Question 16 or was it quite boring?

TheOnePheeph

HSC
How'd you guys find CSSA compared to HSC?

Any interesting parts in Question 16 or was it quite boring?
Was quite a joke imo. The very last question was sort of interesting, requiring you to break up a result by partial fraction decomposition which in turn became a telescoping sum. Took me a bit to see the partial fraction decomp. Everything else was really standard though. Independent as opposed was fairly interesting, having a decent conicsXcircular motion problem, a few nice geo questions and a nice inequality for q16 using the rectangles under a curve being less than the area, then induction. This quickly turned into an irritating algebra exercise though for the later parts of the question, involving stupid rearrangements of sum notation.

DrEuler

HSC
N/A
Was quite a joke imo. The very last question was sort of interesting, requiring you to break up a result by partial fraction decomposition which in turn became a telescoping sum.
Eh that's pretty alright, been asked before in Sydney grammar iirc

using the rectangles under a curve being less than the area, then induction. This quickly turned into an irritating algebra exercise though for the later parts of the question, involving stupid rearrangements of sum notation.
Was the induction comparable in difficulty to last years HSC one? As for the rectangle one, that's pretty standard imo.

So as as usual nothing that inspiring, but I guess even the HSC is becoming less and less inspiring every year. The last year which had a juicy question 16 was probably 2010. We just don't get interesting questions like that these days. I guess 2018 q16 was alright but it had that stupid geometry one which kind of kills the mood lol

TheOnePheeph

HSC
Eh that's pretty alright, been asked before in Sydney grammar iirc

Was the induction comparable in difficulty to last years HSC one? As for the rectangle one, that's pretty standard imo.

So as as usual nothing that inspiring, but I guess even the HSC is becoming less and less inspiring every year. The last year which had a juicy question 16 was probably 2010. We just don't get interesting questions like that these days. I guess 2018 q16 was alright but it had that stupid geometry one which kind of kills the mood lol
Yeah the induction itself was quite easy, even easier than last years induction, which was a joke. Just thought the idea was more interesting than what you usually see in trial papers, even if its been asked before several times, which is how I felt about most of the paper. I feel like a bit of a dick saying it but I feel a bit disappointed with my result in it, since I'm aiming for an S.R.

Also imo the 2011 last question was more interesting than 2010. While the whole zeta function concept was cool, it was really just repeatedly integrating and rearranging the integrals etc. And yeah that geo question in 2018 shouldn't count, it felt more like a stupid convoluted AMC problem than actually testing knowledge and understanding of X2. Im honestly just trying to get my hands on the sydney grammar paper from this year now lol, only paper thats actually sometimes got interesting questions.

Last edited:

DrEuler

HSC
N/A
Yeah the induction itself was quite easy, even easier than last years induction, which was a joke. Just thought the idea was more interesting than what you usually see in trial papers, even if its been asked before several times, which is how I felt about most of the paper. I feel like a bit of a dick saying it but I feel a bit disappointed with my result in it, since I'm aiming for an S.R.

Also imo the 2011 last question was more interesting than 2010. While the whole zeta function concept was cool, it was really just repeatedly integrating and rearranging the integrals etc. And yeah that geo question in 2018 shouldn't count, it felt more like a stupid convoluted AMC problem than actually testing knowledge and understanding of X2. Im honestly just trying to get my hands on the sydney grammar paper from this year now lol, only paper thats actually sometimes got interesting questions.
Agreed.

I must say though it's always great to aim for a state rank, and your marks prove your definitely capable of it, don't have your heart fully set on "I must state rank or I've failed." In 4u your competing against the best students in the state and so when I did my HSC I wasn't necessarily aiming for a state rank. Math is what I liked so I naturally put lots and lots of time into it which inevitably led to me state ranking. I would've been happy with any mark of 98+

I was more like "If I end up getting a state rank then that will be amazing"

TheOnePheeph

HSC
Agreed.

I must say though it's always great to aim for a state rank, and your marks prove your definitely capable of it, don't have your heart fully set on "I must state rank or I've failed." In 4u your competing against the best students in the state and so when I did my HSC I wasn't necessarily aiming for a state rank. Math is what I liked so I naturally put lots and lots of time into it which inevitably led to me state ranking. I would've been happy with any mark of 98+
Yeah I've always enjoyed maths, and put lots of time into it lol. I guess the state ranking thing also depends on how you feel on the day, and what questions are asked, as I'm sure stuff like the stupid geo question last year stopped a lot of potential state rankers from doing so. I'm personally quite motivated to state rank because I also go to a fairly low ranked school, and think it would be cool to see myself up there with the top schools in the state. Oh well, heres hoping lol.

Thanks for that advice though, I felt the same way last year with advanced, thinking it would be sick to state rank, but not resting my fate on it, and that turned out well.

DrEuler

HSC
N/A
Yeah I've always enjoyed maths, and put lots of time into it lol. I guess the state ranking thing also depends on how you feel on the day, and what questions are asked, as I'm sure stuff like the stupid geo question last year stopped a lot of potential state rankers from doing so. I'm personally quite motivated to state rank because I also go to a fairly low ranked school, and think it would be cool to see myself up there with the top schools in the state. Oh well, heres hoping lol.

Thanks for that advice though, I felt the same way last year with advanced, thinking it would be sick to state rank, but not resting my fate on it, and that turned out well.
I wish you all the best for that state rank! I too would love to see someone from a lower ranking school toppling the selective schools in the 4u state rankings.

akkjen

HSC
N/A
What do you guys recommend? HSC papers or trial papers?

TheOnePheeph

HSC
What do you guys recommend? HSC papers or trial papers?
Hsc papers are 100% better. After you've done all of these however, you should start doing trial papers. For 2u, no particular school has the best trial papers tbh, so just do as many as you can to prepare.

I made this thread looking for more trial papers because I've done most of the hsc papers lol.

Last edited:

akkjen

HSC
N/A
Hsc papers are 100% better. After you've done all of these however, you should start doing trial papers. For 2u, no particular school has the best trial papers tbh, so just do as many as you can to prepare.

I made this thread looking for more trial papers because I've done most of the hsc papers lol.
Have you tried https://thsc.zaxu.tk/
The new THSC.
I think there are some new 2019 papers for some subjects.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)