Does anyone regret attending the school that they attended? (1 Viewer)

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Glad you know it! At uni nobody knows my school and always assumes I'm mispronouncing Caringbah
Seriously? Carlingford is such a well known school. Maybe because usyd is filled with private schoolers

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
I just saw this in a 2009 post:

"they wouldn't know the people in which they now call their friend(s) ...".

What he meant to say was "they wouldn't know the people whom they now call their friend(s) ..."

Cherrybomb56

HSC
Seriously? Carlingford is such a well known school. Maybe because usyd is filled with private schoolers
really, is that true? What about the top-ranked selective kids? Do they all go to unsw?

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
really, is that true? What about the top-ranked selective kids? Do they all go to unsw?
People all go different places I know friends who got 99 ATARs and they went to Macquarie university because they had scholarships or they went usyd and some went UNSW. Different unis are better in different areas. UNSW is good for engineering and science, Macquarie has good humanities and is a lot better located for a lot of people who live further west. Deciding on what uni to go to shouldn't just be for the name but you need to think about what degree you are doing and where it is better

andrew12678

HSC
I think people just choose to go to the uni which offers them what they are looking for as well as any benefits (eg. scholarships). In some cases this defaults to UNSW (eg. actuarial studies which is not offered at USYD). However, a substantial amount still choose to go other unis (I chose USYD and haven't looked back) or even overseas

Cherrybomb56

HSC
I think people just choose to go to the uni which offers them what they are looking for as well as any benefits (eg. scholarships). In some cases this defaults to UNSW (eg. actuarial studies which is not offered at USYD). However, a substantial amount still choose to go other unis (I chose USYD and haven't looked back) or even overseas
oh ok.

Cherrybomb56

HSC
People all go different places I know friends who got 99 ATARs and they went to Macquarie university because they had scholarships or they went usyd and some went UNSW. Different unis are better in different areas. UNSW is good for engineering and science, Macquarie has good humanities and is a lot better located for a lot of people who live further west. Deciding on what uni to go to shouldn't just be for the name but you need to think about what degree you are doing and where it is better
Yeah that is so true. Thanks for the info.

sida1049

HSC
As the others have said, there's a good mix of everyone in most unis, including USYD. But in the more difficult courses, you tend to find most students coming from private or selective school backgrounds (I'd say evenly split), but very rarely from public comprehensive schools. Of the people who graduated from maths/stats honours this year, I only know one person from a public comprehensive school. That said, not all private schools are high ranked - a couple of my friends who graduated from maths honours were from very low ranking private schools (ranking lower than 200).

Cherrybomb56

HSC
As the others have said, there's a good mix of everyone in most unis, including USYD. But in the more difficult courses, you tend to find most students coming from private or selective school backgrounds (I'd say evenly split), but very rarely from public comprehensive schools. Of the people who graduated from maths/stats honours this year, I only know one person from a public comprehensive school. That said, not all private schools are high ranked - a couple of my friends who graduated from maths honours were from very low ranking private schools (ranking lower than 200).
oh ok thanks. Do lots of them go overseas?

sida1049

HSC
I mean to universities overseas? International unviersities? Not sure if that's what they are called
I would have no idea, since I went to a comprehensive public school (no one I know studied overseas except for maybe a semester of exchange, and even that's rare)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)