!!! does anyone think they have stuffed it up,......Like....me??????!!! (1 Viewer)

BlaaahBlaaah

HSC
My essays were only about 4 pages each. I'm really happy with the content of those 4 pages though, so it's all good. Quality over quantity, after all. Surely they don't lower marks based off the size, if what's needed is written in those pages, right?

Master Sword

HSC
BlaaahBlaaah said:
My essays were only about 4 pages each. I'm really happy with the content of those 4 pages though, so it's all good. Quality over quantity, after all. Surely they don't lower marks based off the size, if what's needed is written in those pages, right?
Yeah 4 pages is fine for the length of an essay but it depends if you wrote about what the markers will be looking for, as well as whether or not you expressed your ideas well. Writing more pages won't get you a better mark, in fact it can work agianst you if you stray too far from the topic or just chuck a lot of irrelevant stuff in there.

The bottom line: Your essay doesn't have to be very long but it does have to engage with the terms of the question without straying too far from what the question is asking.

Last edited:
HSC
I don't think I stuffed up... But I'm not getting 20/20 for 'em that for sure x__x
And my essays are only around 5-6 pages... It's all I can get out in 40 >_<

Hate essays in exams! >__< If they were home made essay... I'd get really good... I don't cope with exams to well, lol, kinda gets simplified into the basics

... But either way, I feel relieved... I had visions of me getting into the exams wihtout being able to write on any of the questions... I stayed up til 1 am trying to get things down then got up at 5 to do the same... But by 8:30 I was having a panic attack and felt sure I was completely screwed...

Got into the exam and almost screamed in joy when I found the questions were things I could do and easier then I thought! =D lol *phew*

Question... Does anyone else's hands really hurt from writting? lol XD

Master Sword

HSC
LadySilverWings said:
Ha, yeah by about the middle of the third essay my hand was starting to hurt pretty bad. I was getting worried that I'd end up like this.. lol

sickdog12

HSC
i practically am waving my uni career goodbye....totally stuffed up King Lear...omg omg omg

HSC
Master Sword said:
Ha, yeah by about the middle of the third essay my hand was starting to hurt pretty bad. I was getting worried that I'd end up like this.. lol
o_o ... Geez and I thought my hands were shaky enough... that is just scary lol XD

And poor sickdog12, *pat pat* Don't worry! ... As they say it's not the end of the world, lol ... Besides there's always ways to work around it ^__^

ordnaiv

Ethereal
HSC
same, my hand started hurting and became sweaty in the last half-hour lol and got hungry too...did anyone eat lollies in the exam???

BlaaahBlaaah

HSC
LadySilverWings said:
It sucked because I cut the thumb on the hand I write with yesterday. It hurt too much to come in contact with anything not to wear a bandaid, but the bandaid makes it hard to bend my thumb. My hand was killing me in the last fifteen minutes. I still had about another 3/4 pages worth of stuff to write though, so I had to work through the pain lol. Luckily I cut out the less important stuff, and focused on the more relevant ideas and had time.

mikesena

mEo
HSC
LadySilverWings said:
o_o ... Geez and I thought my hands were shaky enough... that is just scary lol XD

And poor sickdog12, *pat pat* Don't worry! ... As they say it's not the end of the world, lol ... Besides there's always ways to work around it ^__^
I had a busted hand from friday's exam. i had icepacks for this one, got 5mins break per 30mins (i mean honestly, whats the point of that) and had to dot point a small section of my second essay (the first section) and half of my third essay (harwood). i'd prepared for this.. freaking sprain from writing.

but how you guys do 10 pages is beyond me, my hand was hurting so much, and i managed to write (messy) 5 per question, normally would've been about 6, 7. big writing i guess is your solution. but the harwood question also sucked major balls, i had been looking at perspectives all year too, not emotion. kidna though me off.

firenzy

HSC
some teacherssay quantity over quality to a point, like mine we don't know how it works but we just do it ;P

I didn't prepare anything and study for the hsc lolz and seem fine lolz

maxxtothemaxx

HSC
Master Sword said:
The number of pages you wrote has nothing to do with it. 5 pages is perfectly fine.

The teachers at my school always taught us to write essays that are 4-6 pages in length and engage with the terms of the question, talking about certain issues relating to one text while talking about different issues with a different text. Both the teachers who taught advanced have been HSC markers before and awarded high marks to essays 4-6 pages long. I know I wrote 3.5 pages in the trial for some of my essays and got 13/20s, the reason for my mark not being spectacular wasn't for lack of length, it was for inconsistent relation to the question.

I wrote 5.5, 4.5 and 5 pages for my essays today and think I went well this time.

Making a marker sift through 10 pages of you regurgitating everything you know isn't going to get you an good mark if you don't engage with the terms of the question, contrary to popular belief by some people out there.
Exactly, your not going to get much or any marks for simply recalling everything that happens in the text...the questions asked something specific (with the exception of Frontline) and its ridiculous to write about completely different things ,just to drag the number of pages u did up to 10 - 12..... If you addressed the question properly and answered what was asked and backed this up with ontextual evidence, you'll do alright! .....regardless of the number of pages

anniea89

HSC
Ditto. I averaged around 7 pages for each essay, and I was talking to my teacher about this length problem and she said that as long as you address the question, then it doesn't matter.
Plus, she said to me that I had a sophisticated style in that my ideas are contained in my writing. Everyone's different.

tori-san

HSC
hey don't worry my english teacher is a senior hsc marker and he always says quality over quantity theres no point writing 20 pages of crap when 4 will do. by the way thought the paper was quite good hated the frontline question.

pks365

HSC
That english essay was so easy. 10.5 pages - Hamlet/ Ros & Guil

10.5 pages - Cloudstreet

10 pages - Frontline

rayd

HSC
i had
11 pages BNW/BR
9 pages powerplay
9 pages yeats.

death to time.

Chinmoku03

Ippen, Shin de Miru?
HSC
blackness said:
Does anyone think they have stuffed up

sec 1 - 7 pages, aaah!!!!
sec 2- 5 LOL
sec 3- 8 pages aaah!!!!!
Lol, you worried about that? O.O;

I did fucking 3 pages for each essay. Don't worry, geez XD

HSC
How do you people write 11 pages?!? O__O ... Why can't I write 11 pages easy! XD lol

Ugh, hand still killing me x__x It's like my index and middle finger feel deformed from the pen, I reckon by the end I'll have a nice little dint to remember the HSC by XD lol

And Chinmoku03, your signature picture is so cute, lol

blackrifice

HSC
it was a decent exam but module B (Harwood) was a bit iffy.

Is rejection and arrogance an intense emotion cause i think i screwed up there because ppl were telling me i wrote bout feelings. That question pissed me off so bad because it was hard to relate textual integrity and thats how i got my full marks in the trials and the assessment b4hand for Harwood.

Anyway although quantity doesnt count for shit. I wrote:

Mod A: 14 pages (Emma/Clueless)
Mod B: 10 pages (Harwood)
Mod C: 10 pages (Frontline)

The rest of the exam was okay as it was a crammers exam with generic essays.

ashbash0612

HSC
maxxtothemaxx said:
Exactly, your not going to get much or any marks for simply recalling everything that happens in the text...the questions asked something specific (with the exception of Frontline) and its ridiculous to write about completely different things ,just to drag the number of pages u did up to 10 - 12..... If you addressed the question properly and answered what was asked and backed this up with ontextual evidence, you'll do alright! .....regardless of the number of pages
yeah but my teacher (who has marked for HSC) says that they count pages before they begin marking, often differentiating between band 5 and band 6 quality answers based on their quantity. 10-12 pages isn't that much considering the size of the booklet and the double lines. The aim is to use as much as you can from the texts to prove your point in answer to the question, so more pages allows more proof in more depth.
Not that i can talk though, i knew the most about Frontline and ran out of time, only managed 6 pages with so much more to say :(
meh... english is gone!!!!!

roosterman57

HSC
blackrifice said:
it was a decent exam but module B (Harwood) was a bit iffy.

Is rejection and arrogance an intense emotion cause i think i screwed up there because ppl were telling me i wrote bout feelings. That question pissed me off so bad because it was hard to relate textual integrity and thats how i got my full marks in the trials and the assessment b4hand for Harwood.

Anyway although quantity doesnt count for shit. I wrote:

Mod A: 14 pages (Emma/Clueless)
Mod B: 10 pages (Harwood)
Mod C: 10 pages (Frontline)

The rest of the exam was okay as it was a crammers exam with generic essays.
lol yeaa im in the same boat as u. i used memory, childhood, loss of innocence and time. And how they enable the responder to relate to the incidents in the poem on a personal note blah blah leading to emotions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)