Does doing this wreck ur computer in n e way? (1 Viewer)

lillaila

clear as ice
HSC
Hey,
I heard that turning ur comp on and off without firstly shutting down it will wreck ur computer........and well, that happened to me so i had to get a new one cos it was "corrupted" or smthng.

I was wondering, cos i do this a lot, if turning ur monitor on and off often will wreck ur comp in n e way. Like a screensaver or smthng ... cos when i download movies or stuff i click the button under the screen then when i go and check i just switch it back on (since the cpu is still running, but not ur screen)???
Or it doesn't wreck ur comp but just ur screen????? :D

fatmuscle

HSC
well if u turn ur computer on and off without shutting down properly often, that will lead up to some problem. It's just 'safer' to shut it down.

turning ur monitor on and off all the time won't screw up your computer, but it might screw up ur monitor.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
The reason turning your computer on/off without shutting down can cause problems is because you may have data stored in temporary memory which gets deleted when you shut down suddenly. If your computer is running some important system files and doesn't close them properly then I guess your system files get corrupted :)

Monitor isn't related to your actual system, it's just a display device. I turn my monitor off when I'm not at the computer because it saves electricity (!) and also prevents the risk (on CRTs anyway) of the image getting burned onto the screen (not sure how true this is..:).

fatmuscle

HSC
Originally posted by anti
Monitor isn't related to your actual system, it's just a display device. I turn my monitor off when I'm not at the computer because it saves electricity (!) and also prevents the risk (on CRTs anyway) of the image getting burned onto the screen (not sure how true this is..:).
phoebe, when's the last time you caught a train?
images get burnt into those monitors pretty well!

apparently worse on plasma screens?

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
yeah, more common to get burnt in images for plasma screens - however, i think it will take around 10,000 hours for anything to be noticeable.

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Originally posted by fatmuscle
B]

Doesnt the "degauss" function on the crt moniter get rid of any burnt in images ?

I duno - i dont have any crt's at home :p

sunny

meh.
HSC
Originally posted by Grizzly
Doesnt the "degauss" function on the crt moniter get rid of any burnt in images ?

I duno - i dont have any crt's at home :p
Degauss demagnetises the build up of magnetic fields in the CRT tube which might be causing the image to distort.

A burn-in is a damaged phosphor coating cause by long exposure to the electron beam from the beam gun.

Winston

HSC

apparently worse on plasma screens?
You mean pixel burn-outs? Yeah it happens alot on LCD's and Plasma's, duno why. But on my LCD only 1 has burnt out in the lifespan of 4 yrs so it's good :)...

and anti... lol so true, i have no idea why people relate the monitor to the actual computer, i mean when people's computers don't work they tend to hit their monitor as opposed to the tower lol...

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
turning on and off frequently is bad for the circuitry in your monitor/computer since you don't give the capacitors enough time to discharge.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Originally posted by jm1234567890
turning on and off frequently is bad for the circuitry in your monitor/computer since you don't give the capacitors enough time to discharge.
How does that do damage?

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
How can I maximize the life of my monitor?
Monitor Life, Energy Conservation, and Laziness:
A common misconception about the care and feeding of computer monitors is that they should be left on all the time. While there are some advantages to this, there are many more disadvantages:
1.CRT Life: The life of a monitor is determined by the life of the CRT. The CRT is by far the most expensive single part and it is usually not worth repairing a monitor in which the CRT requires replacement. The brightness half-life of a CRT is usually about 10-15 K hours of on time independent of what is being displayed on the screen. 10 K hours is only a little more than a year. By not turning the monitor off at night, you are reducing the life of the monitor by a factor of 2-3. Screen savers do not make any substantial difference especially with modern displays using X-Windows or MS Windows where the screen layout is not fixed. With video display terminals, the text always came up in the same position and eventually burned impressions into the screen phosphor.
2. Component life: The heat generated inside a monitor tends to dry out parts like electrolytic capacitors thus shortening their life. These effects are particularly severe at night during the summer when the air conditioning may be off but it is still a consideration year around. Note that the claim about electrolytic capacitors needing to used frequently only applies on a time scale of years, not hours.
3. Safety: While electronic equipment designed and manufactured in accordance with the National Electrical Codes is very safe, there is always a small risk of catastrophic failure resulting in a fire. With no one around, even with sprinklers and smoke alarms, such an failure could be much more disastrous.
4. Energy use: While modern monitors use a lot less energy than their older cousins, the aggregate energy usage is not something to be ignored. A typical monitor uses between 60 and 200 Watts. Thus at a $.10 per KWH electric rate such a monitor will cost between $48 and $160 a year for electricity. During the night, 1/2 to 2/3 of this is wasted for every monitor that is left on. If air conditioning is on during the night, then there is the additional energy usage needed to remove this heat as well - probably about half the cost of the electricity to run the monitor.

The popular rationalization for what is most often just laziness is that power-on is a stressful time for any electronic device and reducing the number of power cycles will prolong the life of the monitor. With a properly designed monitor, this is rarely an issue. Can you recall the last time a monitor blew up when it was turned on? The other argument, which has more basis in reality is that the thermal cycling resulting from turning a monitor on and off will shorten its life. It is true that such thermal stress can contribute to various kinds of failures due to bad solder connections. However, these can be easily repaired and do not effect the monitor's heart - the CRT. You wouldn't leave your TV on 24 hours a day, would you?

Some of the newest ('green') monitors have energy conserving capabilities. However, it is necessary for the software to trigger these power reduction or power down modes. Few monitors in actual use and fewer workstations or PCs are set up to support these features. If you have such a monitor and computer to support it, by all means set up the necessary power off/power down timers. However, using the power saving modes of a 'green' PC with an older monitor can potentially cause damage since some of the modes disable the sync signals. A 'green' monitor which can detect a blank screen and use this as a trigger can easily be used with a screen saver which can be set to display a blank screen - on any PC or workstation.

My recommendation is at the very least to turn your monitor off at night. Turning it off if you are not going to be using it for an hour or two is fine as well. This will extend the life of the monitor (and your investment) and is good for the environment as well.

For workstations, there are good reasons to leave the system unit and peripherals on all the time. However, the monitor should be turned off using its power switch. For PCs, my recommendation is that the entire unit be turned off at night since the boot process is very quick and PCs are generally not required to be accessible over a network 24 hours a day.

oh well, i was 1/2 right

ZeGoat

brown!
HSC
well if u turn ur computer on and off without shutting down properly often, that will lead up to some problem. It's just 'safer' to shut it down.

turning ur monitor on and off all the time won't screw up your computer, but it might screw up ur monitor.
in a comp room on our school, they only turn the comps off by a key in the room which just cuts the power to all of them... they all still work relatively well except for da ones ppl have intentionally messed up...

fatmuscle

HSC
ok, it MAY lead to some problem

especially if you're running windows, or in the middle of some process.

shut your power while flashing bios

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Originally posted by ZeGoat
in a comp room on our school, they only turn the comps off by a key in the room which just cuts the power to all of them... they all still work relatively well except for da ones ppl have intentionally messed up...
The sysadmin probably makes sure everyone is LOGGED OUT already though. If he does this when the computers are all standing by at the logon screen then they're not doing any system work. They're already safe to turn off at any time (because logging off is like shutting down without turning off the power).

ZeGoat

brown!
HSC
Originally posted by Lexicographer
The sysadmin probably makes sure everyone is LOGGED OUT already though. If he does this when the computers are all standing by at the logon screen then they're not doing any system work. They're already safe to turn off at any time (because logging off is like shutting down without turning off the power).
nah not really..... they just turn the key after warning us to save our work..

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Oh, I dunno about LCDs burning images in? I've only ever heard of that problem with CRTs.

Besides, you SHOULDN'T have any problems if your OS makes your monitor automatically turn off/hibernate/whatever the word is after a set period of inactivity. Right?

sunny

meh.
HSC
Originally posted by anti
Oh, I dunno about LCDs burning images in? I've only ever heard of that problem with CRTs.
There is burn in with LCDs - CityRail is a classic.

Ninga

HSC
Yeah, they burn in pretty bad, the computers i use at work have pretty bad burnt in images of the telstra screen saver :)

Turning your computer on and off without shutting down has done some bad stuff to me once. I recall early one morning, after a big night out, coming home, turning on the computer, and then holding down the power button as windows was loading to turn it back off because i thought i was gonna spew. Unfortunately for me, it damaged some sectors on my hard drive, and i had to get a new one. Moral of the story - dont mix alcohol with your computer, u might stuff up your hard drive :)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
on old computers, turning the monitor off was a screensaver

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)