does DUX=smartest??? (1 Viewer)

flosh's gurl

i dont think that dux equals smartest. our dux worked her arse off every day of her school life. she was up at 5 every morning to fit in extra study time. she didn't once go out past 9.30 for the whole yr. she was dedicated in her studies but when it came to life she is a doey as they come. the guy came 2nd worked his arse off too but he found time to spend with his friends and do other things than just school. and he only lost to her by .5 or something. the second place guy to me is soo much smarter than our dux.

tt_j65

HSC
Originally posted by t-i-m-m-y

yeah else i won't be too happy cuz i am the dux:p

..........stupidsmart@#(UI#!workaholic@(*@$pieceof()#$*@@#(................ :argue:

:)

Killah33

I agree Dux should be chosen after UAI results come back. Or maybe i'm just bitchy cause that'd have meant I'd gotten it...

hum di dum

utopian731

Eudaimonian
Its rediculous to argue that the UAI is a reasonable measure of intelligence, smartness, whatever, there are just so many other influences on it. ugh, there have been so many admirable threads condemning the evil that is the HSC. Is the dux the smartest person in the year - perhaps but PROBABLY NOT! I think someone posted that its safe to say that someone who got 99 is definitely smarted than someone who got 88......dont assume such things

dissonance

I think someone posted that its safe to say that someone who got 99 is definitely smarted than someone who got 88......dont assume such things
Agreed. :D I would find it hard to belive that anyone could assume that they are intellectually supierior to someone else purely on the grounds of their UAI.

"Things just aren't that simple". --->Donnie D

aspagarus

HSC
At our school, we have a Dux of the assessment schedule and a dux of the examination. (Unfortunately there is not an award for the latter). However, these two achievements do not always go to the same person. In my school, I was lucky enough to get Dux of both. At the other school in Broken Hill (where I live), the Dux of the assessment got 96 and someone else got 99.. So..
Also, the dux award is given to the person who get 1st position in the most amount of subjects. (In B. hill that is..)

So it is my opinion that the Dux is not an award given to the smartest person in the school. Like, from experience, I am not the smartest person in our year by a long shot.. but I worked consistently through the year and reaped the rewards at the end. I mean, thankfully I went to the dumb school. I mean, I got Dux, but I only got 93.3. If I were at the other school.. mmm.. I don't think I want to think about it..

But I think the system is fairly fair... It is based on consistent effort.. rewarding those people who actually WORK!! not just for those who show for exams and blitz them.. (grrr..)

Rahul

Dead Member
Originally posted by alys
our school did some sort of tricky thing to try and predict who'll get the highest uai, based on internal assessments, and award dux on the basis of that. sometimes they get it right, sometimes they get it wrong. they also have another award for highest uai. last year, the girl who was dux was beaten in uai by two guys who were awarded equal top uai. this year, as far as i can tell, they got it right.
thats a good idea.....use the internal assessment marks and "scale" them to find the dux

alys

Originally posted by Rahul

thats a good idea.....use the internal assessment marks and "scale" them to find the dux
well it seems a lot fairer than the schools who give it to the most firsts or whatever (although i guess that overlaps - i think it did this year), and if you wait and base it on uai's, then no one really cares any more by the time dux is awarded.

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
there was no dux in my grade, i think because it was too close to call, I got 98.5, and the top UAI in my school was 98.55.

bobo123

HSC
well at our school theres this big board that hung up with the names of the dux of each year so i guess getting dux means getting to be a part of the schools history

zannaz

Deloused
HSC
At my school the two top students got 99.80 and 99.35 respectively.
99.80 student did: English (adv), Physics, Chemistry, 3u maths, 4u maths. The person was an allrounder and came first in all but english adv.

99.35 student did: English (adv), Eng ext 1, eng ext 2, modern history, ancient history and legal studies. He was also an allrounder and came first in all his subjects.

The 99.80 student is the dux but both are very good at different types of subjects, so to say that dux=smartest would not be right as some are better at other subjects than others.

Rahul

Dead Member
watever way it is decided, to b awarded "DUX" is such a cool thing. u would b so proud of urself. altho it isnt too hard at some school, but i spose that is not the point

Lord Ac

Trust me *wink*
HSC
Originally posted by Rahul
this is jus a follow up from ultimate's thread

we had two 'duxes'. one guy did harder subjects(4u maths, physics, some others) the other guy did subjects like pdpe, physics, 3u maths...and chem.

one guy definitely had harder subjects over all....but the both came equal positions in our internal assessments. is that fair???

i think coz the guy...even if he did 'easier' subjects, he still performed well and should b rewarded likewise....and he was.

but do ppl agree wid this way? should they b judged on their UAI. u have to take into consideration dat they r released after skool is over....and many ppl wont come bak for a presentation.....also in waiting such a long tym the charm of being the DUX is lost?

wat do u guys fink?????
They both deserved it. had UAI's of about .8 differnece. BOTH worked their ASSES off. I saw the PE dudes Chem portfolio ... WOAH! ...

UAI is defintely best indicator, and should be based on that. Though, by that time concentration is on uni courses/partying/ etc.

So, tough question. Internal scaling system? Sounds plausable.

Dux=smartest? Prob. not. But they must be "better" than the others somehow ... right?

Ac

Rahul

Dead Member
so far seems lyk a scaling system within the school seems to b the bet judge for the academic mark and therefore the dux.

lala2

Banned
HSC
This is not always the case--I know at my school, in 2003 and 2005, the dux did not get the highest UAI, but came first in the most subjects. Generally though, they do get the highest UAI, and subjects are not taken into account--it's the amount of firsts you've got and the school's confidence in you being the highest UAI, that you must satisfy in order to get dux.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)