Does Gen Maths Scale U Down (1 Viewer)

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
another question which is better...doing really well in general or doing bad in 2 unit?
which will be scaled better...
will i be scaled down for doing general
or will i be scaled even more for doin 2unit and goin shit at it?

Kulazzi

HSC
well, when I consulted with my yr advisor about dropping down she showed me this staistical graph saying a small minority of students gain 90% or above in the general course. I was positive that I could get 90 and above in general but all my teachers somehow convinced me to stay in maths. Are you doing really bad? Do you fail every exam? Then go down. I'm just getting 60% every time and the teacher says that that's ok :cool:. So yeah, think about it. And apparently its better doing crap at a high-scaled subject than doing good in a low-scaled one.

shannonm

HSC
N/A
using 2003 figures:

top 1% of general maths hsc candidature has roughly the same contribution to your uai as top 12% of 2unit
top 10% of general ~ top 39% of 2unit
top 20% general ~ top 55% of 2unit
top 30% of general ~ top 67% of 2unit
top 40% of general ~ top 75% of 2unit
top half of general ~ top 79% of 2unit

so basicly do you think you can more easily get into the top 10% of students taking the general maths course, or the top 40% of students taking 2unit?

joe_m_2000 said:
another question which is better...doing really well in general or doing bad in 2 unit?
which will be scaled better...
will i be scaled down for doing general
or will i be scaled even more for doin 2unit and goin shit at it?

goan_crazy

HSC
Kulazzi said:
well, when I consulted with my yr advisor about dropping down she showed me this staistical graph saying a small minority of students gain 90% or above in the general course. I was positive that I could get 90 and above in general but all my teachers somehow convinced me to stay in maths. Are you doing really bad? Do you fail every exam? Then go down. I'm just getting 60% every time and the teacher says that that's ok :cool:. So yeah, think about it. And apparently its better doing crap at a high-scaled subject than doing good in a low-scaled one.
i did ok in year 11
but 1st year 12 ass i got 48% failed...

goan_crazy

HSC
shannonm said:
using 2003 figures:

top 1% of general maths hsc candidature has roughly the same contribution to your uai as top 12% of 2unit
top 10% of general ~ top 39% of 2unit
top 20% general ~ top 55% of 2unit
top 30% of general ~ top 67% of 2unit
top 40% of general ~ top 75% of 2unit
top half of general ~ top 79% of 2unit

so basicly do you think you can more easily get into the top 10% of students taking the general maths course, or the top 40% of students taking 2unit?
wow thanks 4 that
so it looks like staying in 2unit is better off eh?

shannonm

HSC
N/A
joe_m_2000 said:
so it looks like staying in 2unit is better off eh?
yep.. it depends on you thou.

i could also state the hsc marks and their equal contributions (83 in general same uai cont as 80 in 2unit) or something like that,
but that would be misleading (with all the scaling, aligning, etc) involved, since obviously alot more people get 80 in 2unit than 83 in general.
so i reckon looking at percetiles is the best when choosing,
taking into account all the students taking 2unit (year 11 advanced students, etc)
and all the people doing general.
easier to beat 60% of the general candidature or 25% of the 2unit candidature?
up to you and your mathematical ability (you favour the general maths syllabus - financial maths, analysing data, probabilites) or a couse with abit of calculus)

beccaxx

surprised things change
HSC
my best friend and me did almost all the same subjects except she did 2 unit and i did general. we are about the same in smartness and if she had done general she would hav done really well. anyways, we got our results back and we both got all 80's cept hers for math.
she got 58 for 2 unit, which she figured would scale up. i got 88 which i figured would scale down.

she ended up with a UAI of 78 and i got 86.3

if i had done 2 unit, i might have got about 60... but my UAI would have dropped more so i am sooo glad i did general. its way better to do good in general than to do crap in 2 unit, just make sure ur mark stays above 80 all yr in general and ur sweet

shannonm

HSC
N/A
beccaxx said:
she got 58 for 2 unit, which she figured would scale up. i got 88 which i figured would scale down.

you figure correctly

beccaxx said:
she ended up with a UAI of 78 and i got 86.3

if i had done 2 unit, i might have got about 60... but my UAI would have dropped more so i am sooo glad i did general. its way better to do good in general than to do crap in 2 unit, just make sure ur mark stays above 80 all yr in general and ur sweet
yes.. your general mark of 88 was pretty good (in top ~7% of state, probbaly higher) and your friends mark was pretty bad (bottom ~22%)

you needed to get about a hsc mark of 85 in 2unit (top 25% of the state) in order to get the same uai contribution as your general mark. from the sounds of things the 2unit syllabus doesn't suit you so you did fine taking the general course and doing well in it.

your friend only(?) needed a general mark of around 68 (around the top half) to make taking general maths more advantagous to uai calculation.

beccaxx said:
its way better to do good in general than to do crap in 2 unit, just make sure ur mark stays above 80 all yr in general and ur sweet
yes 80 in general is ok, but you must remember only around 16% of general candidates get over 80, whilst the top half of 2unit peeps get the equivalent (in terms of uai contribution) of that in 2unit

i guess it depends how good is good in gen and how crap is crap in 2u.

goan_crazy

HSC
is 48% in my 1st assessment in 2 unit mean im screwed???

Kulazzi

HSC
yes. I suggest you have a look at some past papers. When I was getting frustrated that I could not get over 60%, I was stressed and continuosly thought about dropping down to general. However, if you look at some past papers, it is more easier than it looks. Like for example, we might have a 45 minute assessment exam on integration but in the actual HSC exam papers, only one question has a question on intergration (with [a], and [c] )

goan_crazy

HSC
Kulazzi said:
yes. I suggest you have a look at some past papers. When I was getting frustrated that I could not get over 60%, I was stressed and continuosly thought about dropping down to general. However, if you look at some past papers, it is more easier than it looks. Like for example, we might have a 45 minute assessment exam on integration but in the actual HSC exam papers, only one question has a question on intergration (with [a], and [c] )

we havent started integration >.<!
is it hard?
all weve done from yr 12 book is geo applications of calculus... :eek:

Scanorama

HSC
General Maths helped me to get into uni, without it, my UAI would have much lower and nowhere close to uni. It dragged my mark up.

elissa

Water xXx
HSC
Doing 2U I only got 32% in the first assessment task, so i'm thinking of dropping down to general. Do you guys think this is a good idea?

I'm also gonna drop accounting completely. I still will have ten units and maths is seeming too hard. The teacher also isnt very good

goan_crazy

HSC
elissa said:
Doing 2U I only got 32% in the first assessment task, so i'm thinking of dropping down to general. Do you guys think this is a good idea?

I'm also gonna drop accounting completely. I still will have ten units and maths is seeming too hard. The teacher also isnt very good
i got 48% in 2 unit
im not sure whether i can drop...
i think its 2 late :(

goan_crazy

HSC
Without Wings said:
you can still drop to general joe, talk to ur teachers about it
my year co teaches general...
a few from my class dropped but that was last term...
she said its too late 2 drop however she would hav loved 2 hav me in her class...
but yeh somethin positive
my teacher last year was a dick- he left but so wer're gettin a new teacher when we go back and shes meant 2 be good...shes taught @ my skool 4 20 years
wat should i do
is there still hope 4 me in 2 unit or am i screwed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)