Does God exist? (1 Viewer)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters
L

littlewing69

darkroomgirl said:
littlewing69, as a Christian, I actually agree with you.......

Insightful people like you make me wish I could return to the Christianity my family has long practised. Personally, I can't agree with the Christian meta-narrative of Fall and Salvation, but I have the utmost respect for good Christians such as yourself who practise with dignity and compassion.

God bless (my apologies to all atheists present :D)

L

littlewing69

Schoolies_2004 said:
Is this thread still going? Mods, lock it up........ its been proven ladies and gentlemen, there is no god!
I never got that memo.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
In response to the thread, yes, God is real. But we Christians have ensured that no-one else besides ourselves really know that.
i think it's great how you clarified that common misconception associating the wrongs of the Christian religion (and to a lesser extent, religion in general) with the spirituality.

however, it's not true that all Christians are selfish and keep the truth to themselves, as you've insinuated. I find it insulting to the many Christians who step out in faith to share the gospel, often at great personal cost. I'm sure their efforts weren't in vain.

On another note, can anybody provide me with definitive evidence that God does not exist? Proof that God exists is present in all creation and is recapitulated in the Bible verse:

"...since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse"
Romans 1:19-20 NIV

davin

HSC
N/A
On another note, can anybody provide me with definitive evidence that God does not exist? Proof that God exists is present in all creation and is recapitulated in the Bible verse:
can you provide definitive evidence that i am not really god? definitive, mind you.

your statement as proof is just "clearly god's existance is proven because the proof is clear", which doesn't really sway people that don't see proof for god. you also forget that the burden of proof is on the person making the claim, in this case, the claim of god

L

littlewing69

inasero said:
On another note, can anybody provide me with definitive evidence that God does not exist?
Logical fallacy. The burden of proof lies with the individual who asserts that something exists. Can you prove to me with definitive evidence that Santa Claus doesn't exist?

gerhard

HSC
the most famous argument for gods non existance is 'the problem of evil'.

of course any philosophical argument has to define god, and the definitions applied to god here are that he is all powerful, all knowing, and all loving. next we have to accept that there is suffering in this world. this doesnt seem too hard to believe. the argument is as follows;

if god is all knowing, then he must be aware that their is suffering in the world
if god is all powerful, then he must be able to remove suffering from this world
if god is all loving, then he must want to remove suffering from this world.

but alas, there is suffering in this world. so it seems that a god with these three properties cannot exist. a god with any two of these properties can exist. he could either be able to stop suffering but not want to, he could not know that suffering exists, or he could not have the power to stop suffering. a god could not have all three of these properties though.

darkroomgirl

HSC
inasero said:
however, it's not true that all Christians are selfish and keep the truth to themselves, as you've insinuated. I find it insulting to the many Christians who step out in faith to share the gospel, often at great personal cost. I'm sure their efforts weren't in vain.
Believe me, no way do I think that ALL Christians are like that. My family supports a lot of missionary work and I know of so many cases wherein Christians are persecuted, heck, KILLED for their faith. I guess I was just trying to make a point and in the process kinda generalised. I apologise if I offended any of the Christians in here...

robo-andie

HSC
littlewing69 said:
Can you prove to me with definitive evidence that Santa Claus doesn't exist?
oh no.... I don't think I could handle it... :( *rocks back and forth in foetal position chanting* He is real....He is real....He is real....

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Schoolies_2004 said:
Yeah thats prity conclusive - No God.

He didnt even protect him for a second.... the lions went straight to work. And by the sounds of the article, he was a religious man as well.... albeit a nutt, still doesnt god protect the vulnerable in our society? That guy is my hero.
I consider myself a Deist.
Can I ask, what properties do you give to this non-interventionist god? Also why do you think you believe in it?

Some deists i've met have a view that 'god' is no conscious and is just the energy of the universe (or something like that, it seems very wishy washy imo)? I don't buy any of it myself, to me it seems deists are just picky believers in God who try to remove any form of criticism of their belief.

If I wanted to believe in God but I was a smart person who knew all the faults with god, I'd maybe become a deist, your beliefs aren't widely known like christianity or judaism so you can feel safe there will be no attacks there, while you can come up with all these fantastic arguments as to how stuff points to the existance of god (I thought god was non interventionist? :/ maybe you guys mean limited intervention).

To me, from what I see of deist... it just seems to be a 'personal religion' not based off christianity or whatever. I don't see how they're any better.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
littlewing69, as a Christian, I actually agree with you. What most people perceive to be 'Christianity' has in fact been a filtered version of how we Christians believe it should be practiced, which is not necessarily the right thing;
If you would like to say so?

In response to the thread, yes, God is real. But we Christians have ensured that no-one else besides ourselves really know that.
lol, I find alot of christians to be great people... with a great outlook on life. It isn't because of them that I don't believe in God.

Care to explain how? All the observations point towards a universe without design, purpose or order.
That's not true, the observations for him may point towards a universe with design, purpose and order... Personally I see design, purpose and order, I just attribute it to something natural because I think it's more logical than a supernatural explanation.

M

Margz

the bible states god created the world... where does it say anything about dinosaurs? when we have proof that they exist but in the bible it has nothing of the sort. only that god created adam and eve... there are a lot of questions we will never know the truth too.

darkroomgirl

HSC
Margz said:
the bible states god created the world... where does it say anything about dinosaurs? when we have proof that they exist but in the bible it has nothing of the sort. only that god created adam and eve... there are a lot of questions we will never know the truth too.
The bible states that God created many living things. Just because it doesn't explicitly talk about dinosaurs being created doesn't mean that the Bible doesn't account for them - it does, just not specifically. They would just generally come under the heading "living creatures" or "animals."

L

littlewing69

Not-That-Bright said:
Can I ask, what properties do you give to this non-interventionist god? Also why do you think you believe in it?
I believe in some unspecified intelligent force ("intelligent" is no doubt an inadequate, human explanation). I think it's foolish to attempt to give specific characteristics to something which I'm not even sure exists, and which I certainly can't describe in any empirical manner.

I believe in God as a cosmological first cause and as a designer (I'm not an IDer, though, yuck :p). This belief comes outof my own observations of the universe, readings of science, and philosophical argument. I don't doubt that there is also a predisposition towards theism in my psyche, given that I was raised a Christian.

Some deists i've met have a view that 'god' is no conscious and is just the energy of the universe (or something like that, it seems very wishy washy imo)? I don't buy any of it myself, to me it seems deists are just picky believers in God who try to remove any form of criticism of their belief.
If you read up on history, you'll find that Deism has always been heavily criticised, and Deists have lived very uncomfortable lives. It takes a pussy of epic scale to choose a philosophy based on what others' will think, and I know that I receive flak from both Christians and dogmatic Atheists for my stance. Feel free to differ with me--I like rational argument with both theists and atheists.

My philosophy is "wishy-washy" only in that it is open and undefined. There are few constants. It's not New-Agey or superstitious though. If you mean wishy-washy in the sense of indeterminite, then you are correct. I'm hesitant to buy into any metaphysical argument which claims absolute truth--and plus I enjoy the uncertainty and free thought an open philosophy allows.

If I wanted to believe in God but I was a smart person who knew all the faults with god, I'd maybe become a deist, your beliefs aren't widely known like christianity or judaism so you can feel safe there will be no attacks there, while you can come up with all these fantastic arguments as to how stuff points to the existance of god (I thought god was non interventionist? :/ maybe you guys mean limited intervention).
Intellectual rigour is one of the definite advantages of Deism. I see it as a smart man's superstition :). It lets me ponder the nature of existence without getting the feeling that I'm kidding myself.

Once again, you are mistakenly saying that Deists aren't picked on. In any case, I'm not cowardly enough to lie to myself just to avoid getting paid out by my mates for believing in God. Generally, as a Deist people are more respectful though to you, because you don't evangelise, preach, or act self-righteously (of course, I'm not saying that all Christians/Muslims/etc. do this, but a visible minority of them do). I don't believe in sin or hell or any of that gloomy stuff so I have no moral obligation to constantly point out that others are sinners, or destined to hell etc. as some Theists do.

As for interventionism, I'll just outline my present musings on the matter (subject to change at any time). I don't believe it is possible for God to intervene supernaturally in the universe. There are observable natural laws (put in place by God?) which I consider fairly static. I've never seen any proof for any supernatural activity. Certainly, I don't believe God intervenes physically in human affairs. If God really wanted to make himself known, I'm sure he'd choose a better vehicle than a thick book and a Nazarene (though I find great philosophy in both those sources). If anything, I think the universe is self-evidently ordered and, well, "dignified", and I'm hesitant to think that there is a deity out there who amuses himself by smiting people and doing magic tricks.

To me, from what I see of deist... it just seems to be a 'personal religion' not based off christianity or whatever. I don't see how they're any better.
Deism is a "personal religion" only in that it contains no dogma, and allows for personal choice. It is impersonal in that most Deists believe that God (for lack of a better name) is not personal.

not based off christianity or whatever. I don't see how they're any better.
I think its unwise to give objective "value" to any religion (except those which are violent etc.), but personally, I find Deism superior to Christianity for these reasons:

a) Intellectualy more compelling. I find the Christian meta-narrative contradictory and illogical.
b) More in line with observable, empirical data.
c) Freedom to think for oneself, and enjoy argument and reasoning without having an authority figure such as a priest/imam tell you "the truth".
d) No hell, no sin, no evangelism. All these are destructive doctrines, and promote fear and distrust.
e) Altruistic ethics. If God threatens you with hell for being immoral, is morality really altruistic? Moreover, an open philosophy allows ethical thought to develop beyond the beliefs of a society thousands of years prior to our own.
f) Beer and sex are allowed. Beer is evidence of God, btw :D
g) Deism isn't a psychological crutch. I don't believe in Heaven/Hell or a personal superhero God who'll save me from baddies. As such, I think it is more rational and gives me freedom to live my own life and develop as a human being.

Disclaimer: These are my personal convictions. I have the utmost respect for people of all faiths, and I don't wish to offend anyone. Please extend the same respect to me.

davin

HSC
N/A
From what i've read of deism, i think its more the idea just that something kicked everything off and watched it go from there. I would take that to then mean the big bang.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
sorry littlewing69 i'd love to get into a discussion about the relative merits or christianity and deism but keeping to the original topic of conversation...

darkroomgirl already said it but absence of evidence doen't necessarily equate to evidence of absence and this applies no less to the Genesis account (or lack thereof) of dinosaurs. How does the Bible not explaining the existence of dinosaurs discredit the existence of God?

L

littlewing69

inasero said:
sorry littlewing69 i'd love to get into a discussion about the relative merits or christianity and deism but keeping to the original topic of conversation...

darkroomgirl already said it but absence of evidence doen't necessarily equate to evidence of absence and this applies no less to the Genesis account (or lack thereof) of dinosaurs. How does the Bible not explaining the existence of dinosaurs discredit the existence of God?
You're absolutely right. The inaccuracy of the Genesis account only disproves a literal interpretation of Genesis.

ggggggggggggggg

HSC
Margz said:

Neither does the Bible say anything about zebras, antelopes, frilled-neck lizards and Abos.

L

littlewing69

ggggggggggggggg said:
Neither does the Bible say anything about zebras, antelopes, frilled-neck lizards and Abos.
Reckon you could ease up on the bold, and the racial slurs?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)