• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God exist? (1 Viewer)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

kobz

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
a grainy photo, of a tree, that looks a bit like someone praying... and people claim it faces towards kaaba (I'm guessing just whether it's facing the right direction north/south/east/west... so there's a 1 in 4 chance).

amazing.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.

No I'm going to live my mortal life, enjoying mortal pleasures, the same as you will. As for studying religions, I have a decent idea about all the monotheistic religions, mainly christianity tho (went to a christian school). I've spoken at long ends with some muslims who are students at various islamic schools also, so I've got a decent idea about Islam also.

However, I essentially reject all claims until I have sufficient evidence. Some claims require very little evidence, others require alot. :)
its in Sydney buddy many ppl have witnessed it and wat u say about the direction, its not just the 4 directions it is pin point directly towards the Kaaba, nott just NW

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
eh? I dunno if it's pin point, still doesn't really amaze me even if all of what you said is true.
Let me approach this from another angle. You believe in the devil right and you believe in jinn? How do you know that he did not create that tree, since you are so certain there is something supernatural behind its existance?

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
kobz said:
its in Sydney buddy many ppl have witnessed it and wat u say about the direction, its not just the 4 directions it is pin point directly towards the Kaaba, nott just NW
In any case, it's not the CONFIRMED case of divine intervention I asked for. Miracles are simply a synonym for coincidence - there's not one that cannot be explained by science or the laws of the universe. A tree pointing in a certain direction proves nothing.

kobz

HSC
c_james said:
Any God that damns people to hell for not believing in him is no God to me. If anything, a real God would respect atheists and agnostics, for they're the only ones making full use of the mental capacities he gave to them - those very capacities which prompt them to question the world around them. Let's assume for a second that God does exist. If I lead a good life, and treat people with respect and dignity, why should I be damned to hell simply for not "believing" by fronting up to Church every Sunday, or a Mosque every Friday? No, I think I'll take my chances and avoid the whole religious fundamentalism route. I value the ability to think freely over having my thoughts and actions constrained by a god-fearing mentality.
aw sooo you know wats good 4 you huh??? why do u think God gives us certain rules??? he wants 2 guide his ppl 2 the right way..4 example if u left a child with alot of lollies n didnt tell him his limits...he do bad 4 himselff since he doesnt have the knownledge of the older person.......rejecting God is sumthin reali serious,, i know if u got rejected u wouldnt be happy wid dat person now would u???

kobz

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
eh? I dunno if it's pin point, still doesn't really amaze me even if all of what you said is true.
Let me approach this from another angle. You believe in the devil right and you believe in jinn? How do you know that he did not create that tree, since you are so certain there is something supernatural behind its existance?
they do not have the authority 2 create such a thing, only God creates wat you on about, no1 ever said that the devil or jinn can create anything

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
kobz said:
aw sooo you know wats good 4 you huh??? why do u think God gives us certain rules??? he wants 2 guide his ppl 2 the right way..4 example if u left a child with alot of lollies n didnt tell him his limits...he do bad 4 himselff since he doesnt have the knownledge of the older person.......rejecting God is sumthin reali serious,, i know if u got rejected u wouldnt be happy wid dat person now would u???
Incoherent wall of text lacking any argument? Check.

I never rejected God, if He even exists. I simply said that if he was the retributive and contradictory God depicted in the Bible or Qur'an, I would reject Him, and with good reason.

kobz

HSC
c_james said:
In any case, it's not the CONFIRMED case of divine intervention I asked for. Miracles are simply a synonym for coincidence - there's not one that cannot be explained by science or the laws of the universe. A tree pointing in a certain direction proves nothing.
my friend u ever heard of prophet Muhamad,, a single man that created the fastest growing religion on eearth, that is mircle itself.... u want anoder true fact...the most common name in the world is Muhamad......and ur explaination for everything is "by chance" which isnt reali confincing

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
aw sooo you know wats good 4 you huh???
Didn't you say not too long ago that Islam teaches people to search for answers and use their brains to come to conclusions? Does that only include conclusions inside the muslim 'box', or are we just doing exactly what you claim your holy book says we should do?

why do u think God gives us certain rules???
I don't think he did give us rules.

4 example if u left a child with alot of lollies n didnt tell him his limits...he do bad 4 himselff since he doesnt have the knownledge of the older person
Yea ok fine. What should those limits be tho? You say they should be X, I say they should be Y. These limits are not imposed on us by an outside force as a parent would do (when I don't follow islam i don't get spanked), these limits are imposed on us by other humans.

rejecting God is sumthin reali serious
I'm not rejecting him. I don't think he's even there.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
they do not have the authority 2 create such a thing, only God creates wat you on about, no1 ever said that the devil or jinn can create anything
And how do you know that?
Answer: From the koran.

How do you know that jinn or the devil didn't write the koran?
Answer: You don't.

(^o^)

you stupid crap! *slaps*
HSC
c_james said:
Let's assume for a second that God does exist. If I lead a good life, and treat people with respect and dignity, why should I be damned to hell simply for not "believing" by fronting up to Church every Sunday.
You'd go to heaven according to the Roman Catholic Church :)

kobz

HSC
c_james said:
Incoherent wall of text lacking any argument? Check.

I never rejected God, if He even exists. I simply said that if he was the retributive and contradictory God depicted in the Bible or Qur'an, I would reject Him, and with good reason.
wats the contradictory in God ?? have u studies Islam or any religion at least

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
(^o^) said:
You'd go to heaven according to the Roman Catholic Church :)
Actually he'd go to purgatory, then after some unspecified amount of time he may get to go to heaven.

wats the contradictory in God ?? have u studies Islam or any religion at least
Have you studied islam INSIDE OUT? No you haven't. So how do you know it isn't wrong?

Have you studied X religion? No you haven't. So how do you know it isn't right?

Your logic fails you.

*yooneek*

@UTS...I <3 Jesus
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Actually he'd go to purgatory, then after some unspecified amount of time he may get to go to heaven.

Have you studied islam INSIDE OUT? No you haven't. So how do you know it isn't wrong?

Your logic fails you.
i dont understand where that idea comes from?
does anyone know? thanks

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
kobz said:
my friend u ever heard of prophet Muhamad,, a single man that created the fastest growing religion on eearth, that is mircle itself.... u want anoder true fact...the most common name in the world is Muhamad......and ur explaination for everything is "by chance" which isnt reali confincing
Having studied this at university level, allow me to enlighten you. Muhammad was a mediocre farmer who took to wandering through the desert disconsolately. There is no possible way that the validity of his Qur'an, or 'recitation', can be confirmed. Hell, he could've been hallucinating or going mad when he wrote the thing, and now a whole bunch of people think he heard the angel Gabriel. What I'm getting at is that, short of building a time machine, there is no possible way to know what happened. Now, your beliefs are not based on reason, but faith. You have faith that Muhammad was inspired by divine revelation. And that's fine. But don't go shoving your beliefs down the throats of other people who are more healthily sceptical than you.

kobz

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:

Your logic fails you.
who said i havnt...as a mater of fact iv studied all 3 major religions and i see the truth in 1 of them and it all makes perfect sence, have u done any work my friendd?????

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
who said i havnt.
I don't believe it's possible to amass all knowledge about any 1 thing, personally. With a religion such as Islam... I think you've got no chance.

as a mater of fact iv studied all 3 major religions
Have you studied ALL religions? If not (I'm guessing not ;) ) then how do you know you would not 'see the truth' in another.

kobz

HSC
c_james said:
Having studied this at university level, allow me to enlighten you. Muhammad was a mediocre farmer who took to wandering through the desert disconsolately. There is no possible way that the validity of his Qur'an, or 'recitation', can be confirmed. Hell, he could've been hallucinating or going mad when he wrote the thing, and now a whole bunch of people think he heard the angel Gabriel. What I'm getting at is that, short of building a time machine, there is no possible way to know what happened. Now, your beliefs are not based on reason, but faith. You have faith that Muhammad was inspired by divine revelation. And that's fine. But don't go shoving your beliefs down the throats of other people who are more healthily sceptical than you.
hahahaha thats y the quran changelles the humans, God says bring 1 chapter like one in the quran if u believe u are truthful,, and there are chapters as small as 3 lines....and no1 since 1400 years ago has succeeded and der was many attemts dnt u worry

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
kobz said:
hahahaha thats y the quran changelles the humans, God says bring 1 chapter like one in the quran if u believe u are truthful,, and there are chapters as small as 3 lines....and no1 since 1400 years ago has succeeded and der was many attemts dnt u worry
Indecipherable paragraph that makes zero sense? Check.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)