• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God exist? (3 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Well you would presummably define a 'bad deed' as an action of one or some that does harm to others. The principle tenant of Christianity is to love thy neighbour.
We only conflict on the other tenant, which is to love the Lord as He loves us

tycho

HSC
But what is sin.
Isn't it defined as something against God's will, or something? Or something that breaks his rules. I don't know, something like that.

I would say its just a fancy name for "bad deed" that religious people give to actions they don't like or approve of.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Isn't it defined as something against God's will, or something? Or something that breaks his rules. I don't know, something like that.

I would say its just a fancy name for "bad deed" that religious people give to actions they don't like or approve of.
But they also deed thoughts as sinful, whereas to the rest of us, a bad thought isn't something you can be judged on, nor is it something anybody else needs to know.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC

It's a theologically immoral deed, specific to Christianity. Many of the deeds overlap with secular, logic-based immoral deeds, but many also don't.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Sigh.

God made man with free will. Through our use of this faculty, we became tempted to disobey Him - to prefer all forms of futile self-worship. For this we were divorced from God. There was much gnashing of teeth.

God's love for us has been constant and so he set about bringing us back in communion with him. Through the Holy Spirit, he slowly, orally, revealed himself to man/the Jews. This went on until God Himself took on human form, through Christ Jesus - the ultimate revelation of divine will. The message was of love, forgiveness, compassion etc. To demonstraight His love, Christ was sacrificed. But to show the ultimate victory of good over evil - the power of the faith - he rose again.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Sigh.

God made man with free will. Through our use of this faculty, we became tempted to disobey Him - to prefer all forms of futile self-worship. For this we were divorced from God. There was much gnashing of teeth.
No, free will doesn't tempt us to "disobey god", our natural instincts do. Free will just gives us the ability to.

for example, God says sex outside of marriage is wrong, and yet we've been evolutionarily primed to, ahem, fuck the shit out of any mate we can find as soon as we're sexually mature.
Because of free will we are able to do said fucking, but this is not the reason why we want to.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Are you fkn retarded? That's what I said

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Lol, fine, continue to ignore my points.

Just keep blabing on about forgiveness and jesus' sacrifice.

I'm sure that one day it will change my mind.

Pssh.

Lukybear

HSC
Well, yeah, I don't see how we don't, unless you're talkign about the argument whereby god's omniscience rules out any free will being possible.
His obviously referring to predetermination vs free will arguement.

And what Iron said is completely correct, we are given freewill and it is human nature to sin. Therefore, because we have human nature, we will sin, as it is human nature.

And just to clarify, sin is any action/deed that is against God's will, i.e. against his standard of perfection.

tycho

HSC
God created free will, and willingly gave it to us, but he condemns us to hell when we use it? And he created sin, knowing that it would 'divorce us' from him...but he did it anyway. Meanwhile, he slaughters all who decide to do their own thing and use their god-given independance...

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
God created free will, and willingly gave it to us, but he condemns us to hell when we use it? And he created sin, knowing that it would 'divorce us' from him...but he did it anyway. Meanwhile, he slaughters all who decide to do their own thing and use their god-given independance...
Your argument is far too basic. If you want a response to your verbal provocation, please see page one of this thread. The rest of us have advanced past these arguments.

tycho

HSC
Your argument is far too basic. If you want a response to your verbal provocation, please see page one of this thread.
I had a look but couldn't find anything very substantial. Maybe I just didn't look hard enough, but it seems like the thread tends to focus on other issues.

The rest of us have advanced past these arguments.
Yeah, there's been some hectic discussion going on in the last few pages...

Hajime

HSC
To tell you the truth, the stories in the bible seem like those in some children's novel... Someone messes up, some guy tries to fix it, and the good guy always succeeds with the help of divine intervention. It's clearly made up. SCIENCE ALL THE WAY!

DarkDestiny

HSC
N/A
Who actually belives the bible while knowing that it said that the world was made around 8000 years ago.

DarkDestiny

HSC
N/A
right, infact i do have a problem. I will not try and stop you beliving your belifs but i have certain belif which i think everybody should share, "The world wasn't made in a few weeks!", In other words this world wasn't made in 6000 years or something either, look at the fossil records and don't say something silly like the dinosaurs came from uranus, or that they were your gods pets.​

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)