• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God exist? (4 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
What about the universal theme of love? Is it unreasonable for the Christian to assert that God, in simplest form, is love? The instinct that humans have to selflessly care for eachother? Many would call this irrational, but we can see that it is good and a nice basis from which to go for God
Then atheists worship and value this God as much as you do. We just call him by his real name, that is, Love.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
What about the universal theme of love? Is it unreasonable for the Christian to assert that God, in simplest form, is love? The instinct that humans have to selflessly care for eachother? Many would call this irrational, but we can see that it is good and a nice basis from which to go for God
That's a nice thought - deifying love is quite a beautiful idea, except for the fact it is indeed irrational and nonsensical. Worshipping and kowtowing an emotion, that by definition is a biological construct and not something supernatural or even abnormal is.. odd, to say the least. The idea that the Christian god is, simply, "love" is a farcical one at best, given the attributes ascribed to this god by your own religious texts.

bell531

Member's Member 2008
HSC
N/A
Are we even reading the same thread?
I expressed my opinion, you attacked me for not providing evidence, I explained that it wasn't necessary for me to provide evidence in order to be able to believe in God. Pretty straightforward.

gurusson

HSC
short answer...yes
i do believe and when u look, the circumstantial evidence is overwhelming

Lukybear

HSC
i implied i dont. in the same way i dont know this guy is 100% fiction. however, i have different degrees of certainty in things, and put the christian god, anubis, and invisible unicorns into the same basket until i have a credible reason not to do so. to give the right impression to people - that i dont think the christian god is any more likely than invisible unicorns - i say im atheist. if you want to get pedantic about the whole "you cant prove anything with 100% certainty" thing, then ill say im agnostic to absolutely everything.
LOL...

That all very good and all, and i think you certainly got my point - to a degree.

But can I clarify one thing? That group of deities "anubis, unicorn" etc etc, their existence can not be disproven or proven. But following your logic, that means the world's existence, reality, and whether your parent are in fact monsters in disguse are all in the same basket as anubis and the pink spagetti monster.

The point here is, my belief in God, which was a response to Kwayera, is the same as your belief in reality. That ultimately the result is the same. I have faith, and your belief in reality justfies your doings in everyday life. It wasnt a justification for God's existence, because then it would be hypocritical.

And to moll. Get some manners.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
I expressed my opinion, you attacked me for not providing evidence, I explained that it wasn't necessary for me to provide evidence in order to be able to believe in God. Pretty straightforward.
pretty straight forward that you're nothing but a sheep.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
That's a nice thought - deifying love is quite a beautiful idea, except for the fact it is indeed irrational and nonsensical. Worshipping and kowtowing an emotion, that by definition is a biological construct and not something supernatural or even abnormal is.. odd, to say the least. The idea that the Christian god is, simply, "love" is a farcical one at best, given the attributes ascribed to this god by your own religious texts.
Firstly, I think you make a false distinction. If it is a biological construct, how does this defeat the idea that a divine power possibly constructed this biology so!?
But the Christian God has frequently made such claims - observe!:

Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love
1 John 4:8
Indeed, He so Loved the world that he gave his only Son!

Im running with this as an irrational basis for a rational conclusion imo

Lukybear

HSC
O please Iron. Describing God as pure love is... impoliet. God is far more then love. He is a myriad of other awesome things that you fail to say. Althought no doubt you'll recognise them.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.
1 Corinthians 13:1-13

and I love lamp
:santa:

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
But can I clarify one thing? That group of deities "anubis, unicorn" etc etc, their existence can not be disproven or proven. But following your logic, that means the world's existence, reality, and whether your parent are in fact monsters in disguse are all in the same basket as anubis and the pink spagetti monster.

The point here is, my belief in God, which was a response to Kwayera, is the same as your belief in reality. That ultimately the result is the same. I have faith, and your belief in reality justfies your doings in everyday life. It wasnt a justification for God's existence, because then it would be hypocritical.
Your belief in God may be in the same basket as our belief in reality due to an inability to prove this to 100%, but don't make the naive and and ridiculous suggestion that all things in the basket are weighted evenly. Just because two chances are less than 100%, doesn't mean that 99% = 21%.

And to moll. Get some manners.
Idiocy gets responded in kind.

bell531

Member's Member 2008
HSC
N/A
pretty straight forward that you're nothing but a sheep.
Is this a joke? Are you just siding with moll? Or have i said something to offend you?

BTW, lol at becoming enemies with u and moll...for some reason.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Firstly, I think you make a false distinction. If it is a biological construct, how does this defeat the idea that a divine power possibly constructed this biology so!?
But the Christian God has frequently made such claims - observe!:

Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love
1 John 4:8
Indeed, He so Loved the world that he gave his only Son!

Im running with this as an irrational basis for a rational conclusion imo
But then you're not worshipping that biological construct, "love" - you're worshipping some nameless entity that you think created it.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
bell531 said:
In that case, it's also not necessary for me to bother providing evidence that you, Lukybear and gurusson are idiots. I can just claim you are and it'll be true. Done. Idiot.

HSC
btw it is that simple basicly God is love

i agree with Iron

Lukybear

HSC
Your belief in God may be in the same basket as our belief in reality due to an inability to prove this to 100%, but don't make the naive and and ridiculous suggestion that all things in the basket are weighted evenly. Just because two chances are less than 100%, doesn't mean that 99% = 21%.
Your joking me right? There IS NOT TEST FOR REALITY. THERE IS NO PROOF FOR REALITY. Rather then saying there is a percentage of chance that it exist, there is no percentage. Because you cannot test for them.

In other words: reality = unproven
God = unproven

Thus they are the same. Unproven = unproven.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Quoting Bible verses in writing sounds better to the sound of a hollywood orchestra, with dramatic drums and swelling violins, like in the opening of Nixon (film)

for instance: waaa-na-na-naaaaaaaa
Wa nar naa nEEEEEEEE
Bom

"For what shall it profit a man,
If he shall gain the whole world,
And lose his own Soul?"
Mark 9:36
wa na na neeenananaaa Na na na neeeeerr
bom bom
/Prsssss

bell531

Member's Member 2008
HSC
N/A
In that case, it's also not necessary for me to bother providing evidence that you, Lukybear and gurusson are idiots. I can just claim you are and it'll be true. Done. Idiot.
Fuck man, you are not getting this. What I said was opinion, not fact. Therefore, it doesn't need supporting evidence. I honestly don't care what you said above, but you can believe that I'm an idiot, but you can't assert that it's true unless you have evidence. I'm pretty sure we are speaking the same language so if you still don't understand this I'm going to give up with you.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
But then you're not worshipping that biological construct, "love" - you're worshipping some nameless entity that you think created it.
yes yes, we do hit a Kfunkian snag with the does the whole God obey love, or love obey God
But I think that the scripture is attempting to resolve this by expressly stating that God is love. There is no dividing the principle from the creator.
with the zooming and the glaaaven and the, uh

That monkey is gonna pay
:santa:

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Your joking me right? There IS NOT TEST FOR REALITY. THERE IS NO PROOF FOR REALITY. Rather then saying there is a percentage of chance that it exist, there is no percentage. Because you cannot test for them.

In other words: reality = unproven
God = unproven

Thus they are the same. Unproven = unproven.
Of course there's no proof for reality. It wouldn't be in the basket if there was. That was just stupid.
We're talking about probability here. From anecdotal and scientific evidence, an approximate chance can be created.
So, P(reality) = 99%
P(God) = 21% (for example; obviously looking at it from my view)
21% =/= 99%

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)