Does God exist? (1 Viewer)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
live.fast said:
Maybe you can't actually prove God exists or doesn't.

These arguments are all logical. But God could be (and from what we're taught, is) above and beyond logic, as much as He can be in it too - that's the point of an all-powerful all knowing, omniscient God. You won't be able to disprove He exists by saying 'but this scientific theory says this ' - because the theory could always be wrong - and you probably won't find a way to prove He exists either - the point of faith is to believe, even without the proof. God can make 2 + 2 = 5 and He can make squares circles - but the point here is, you'll never find a water-tight proof for He's existence and vice versa. The best you can hope for is that He does exist. If He doesn't, well then, no harm done having tried to do some good in the world anyway. If He does, all the better. But belief is belief - logic is pointless in this case. and so is this thread.

the end.
wiki said:
The official position of Roman Catholicism is that while the existence of the one God can in fact be demonstrated by reason, men can nevertheless be deluded by their sinful natures to deny the claims of reason that demonstrate God's existence. The Anti-Modernist oath promulgated by Pope Pius X required Roman Catholics to affirm that:

. . . God, the origin and end of all things, can be known with certainty by the natural light of reason from the created world (cf. Rom. 1:20), that is, from the visible works of creation, as a cause from its effects, and that, therefore, his existence can also be demonstrated. . .
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fideism

transcendent

HSC
N/A
The only purpose this thread has to remain open is so all the noobs who make 'Does god exist?' threads get swallowed into this one. It keeps all the stupid questions in one thread.

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
crazyhomo said:
what you're suggesting has a name. pascal's wager

and it's complete crap
The funny thing is, Pascal believed that you can strip away someone's capacity to question God's existence by making them attend Church every Sunday. Sounds a lot like brainwashing to me.

live.fast

HSC
N/A
Why would the whole God is beyond logic thing be wrong? What the Pope says doesn't make it law, my belief about who or what God is is my belief - and if he really is beyond logic, then dont feel scandalised just because there might actually never be a way to understand God in that sense. By all means, keep trying, but if you spend your whole life arguing it, and never getting a proper logical answer, then hey, not my problemo.

live.fast

HSC
N/A
And no, i wasn't saying the whole 'pascal's wager' thingo (which i didnt really know bout it, but newaiz) meant that was the only reason to believe in God. Otherwise, you only 'believe' in God because of the reward, and I didn't mean it like that, because that's not real 'belief' - well i guess, if you do end up truly believing in God because in the beginning, you thought it was the best thing to do, then I think that might work out ... but the point is, belief is belief. If you get somewhere, in all this mumbo jumbo logic stuff, then who knows...but till den...

succk baaallls!!!

volition

arr.
HSC
live.fast said:
Why would the whole God is beyond logic thing be wrong? What the Pope says doesn't make it law, my belief about who or what God is is my belief - and if he really is beyond logic, then dont feel scandalised just because there might actually never be a way to understand God in that sense. By all means, keep trying, but if you spend your whole life arguing it, and never getting a proper logical answer, then hey, not my problemo.
Try making a little more sense please

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
live.fast said:
And no, i wasn't saying the whole 'pascal's wager' thingo (which i didnt really know bout it, but newaiz) meant that was the only reason to believe in God. Otherwise, you only 'believe' in God because of the reward, and I didn't mean it like that, because that's not real 'belief' - well i guess, if you do end up truly believing in God because in the beginning, you thought it was the best thing to do, then I think that might work out ... but the point is, belief is belief. If you get somewhere, in all this mumbo jumbo logic stuff, then who knows...but till den...

succk baaallls!!!
Belief is one thing. Blind belief is another.

Oh, and your god will now punish you for telling us to suck balls.

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
webby234 said:
Pascal's wager fails due to the large number of religions, all of which (if you believe based on faith rather than logic) are equally likely. Like what Homer Simpson says - "What if we chose the wrong god and by going to church we are making him madder and madder?"

Justifying belief based on faith and subjective experience has the problem of those who deconvert - surely if god existed and you could "feel his presence" then no one who chose the right religion would ever deconvert
It has a deeper flaw, though, in that it assumes God rewards blind belief. In response to Pascal's Wager is the Athiest's Wager, which goes something like this: I choose not to believe in God and live my life according to my own principles of morality and justice - if a God does not exist, my gain is infinite, for I will leave behind a respectable legacy, and if a God does exist, he will judge me on my actions rather than my belief (or lack thereof), as any God should.

live.fast

HSC
N/A
belief, blind belief, whatever. If you believe, you believe. The 'belief' of all 'gods' of all religions is based on 'blind belief', by the very fact that most atheists seem to be able to counter any credible source of belief (e.g. bible, etc) so all religious belief ends up being blind. That's the point of faith.

And with the Atheist's wager, does that mean an Atheist believes he will end up being rewarded whichever way? that it's an atheist that's got the win win situation? Because, if it was like that, then what's the point of believing in God? We could all have lived by our own principles of morality without Him having asked us to believe, and He could have just judged us based on our actions then, right? So then, it becomes illogical for a believer to believe.

That whole thing is like saying, hey, i'll go to reconciliation at church every sunday, and so i'm allowed to sin every other time of the week, because my sin's go away every time i ask for forgiveness. -- in a case like that, the actions and processes etc are logical, so then what's wrong with it? The idea behind it is, the way the person's mind is working to think that that's okay. In that same way, an atheist won't be in a win-win situation, if only for the fact that he realized and knew he was taking advantage of such a 'win-win' situation. The same for those who 'believe' in God because it's a win-win situation. Unless such belief ends up becoming true belief, that's also futile too.

gerhard

HSC
live.fast said:
The problem with the 'god is beyond logic' thing, is it means that you and any other believers have no reason to believe. you shoot yourself in the foot. if god is beyond logic, then any reason to believe in god is just as valid or invalid as every logical reason to not believe in god. it just brings everyone to the agnostic point of view.

machine169

Anchorman
HSC
I agree that is the point of faith. Its too late in the day to go into any 'deep' discussion. But i feel that there is more to life then what exists here. I feel that when someone close to you dies at an early age then your faith is somewhat hardened(experience) that there is more 'to it all' than leaving a legacy or reproduce. Many people are born into life without a hope in hell of being able to leave an imprint on the world, thousands of children dieing every week around the world. I believe it is not the end and not 'bad luck'. Perhaps it is Gods wish to test one's faith through allowing us not to believe in Gods existence in the first place-the brain capacity to form ones own opinions? But again its up to the individual. But keeping an open mind and reading everything within this area like http://meaning-of-life.info/IsThereaGod.html is a good starting point. It is a doctrine of the Church that faith does not come to us through reason alone, but by the grace of God. If a person opposes even the possiblity of God's existence, then any arguments or evidence can be rationalized away. Since it is impossible to "prove" with absolute certainty, any amount of belief in God has to come from your own spirit, from within your own heart, because it is the spirit of God that we are trying to find. The paradox is, you will only find this faith if God gives you the grace to find it.But if you do not want to believe in God, you never will. There can be no scientific proof, simply because God is not physical or material, He is spiritual and infinite. Science is the observation of material phenomena in this universe, and then applying our reason and logic to understand and control them.

An attachment showing the size of the worlds religions.

Serenity prayer- God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

live.fast said:
belief, blind belief, whatever. If you believe, you believe. The 'belief' of all 'gods' of all religions is based on 'blind belief', by the very fact that most atheists seem to be able to counter any credible source of belief (e.g. bible, etc) so all religious belief ends up being blind. That's the point of faith.

And with the Atheist's wager, does that mean an Atheist believes he will end up being rewarded whichever way? that it's an atheist that's got the win win situation? Because, if it was like that, then what's the point of believing in God? We could all have lived by our own principles of morality without Him having asked us to believe, and He could have just judged us based on our actions then, right? So then, it becomes illogical for a believer to believe.

That whole thing is like saying, hey, i'll go to reconciliation at church every sunday, and so i'm allowed to sin every other time of the week, because my sin's go away every time i ask for forgiveness. -- in a case like that, the actions and processes etc are logical, so then what's wrong with it? The idea behind it is, the way the person's mind is working to think that that's okay. In that same way, an atheist won't be in a win-win situation, if only for the fact that he realized and knew he was taking advantage of such a 'win-win' situation. The same for those who 'believe' in God because it's a win-win situation. Unless such belief ends up becoming true belief, that's also futile too.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
That attachment, why am i looking at a graph showing the size of world religions?

Is that the 'majority card' I'm seeing before me?

transcendent

HSC
N/A
So you're saying unless you're born to believing in God or conditioned to believe in God or through a series of events convinced to believe in God that God and only God himself can make people believe in him. Is that correct? So because I don't believe in God, I 'did' once, that God doesn't want me to believe in him is that correct?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I feel that when someone close to you dies at an early age then your faith is somewhat hardened(experience) that there is more 'to it all' than leaving a legacy or reproduce.
What more is it? I don't see much more of a destiny in mind for me if there is a heaven to be quite honest. Theists in general (in australia) live their lives basically the same as me, have roughly the same aspirations etc... I don't see that they do have any more 'meaning' than me.

Many people are born into life without a hope in hell of being able to leave an imprint on the world, thousands of children dieing every week around the world. I believe it is not the end and not 'bad luck'.
What so you think instead it was gods' pre-ordained plan? to put these people through so much misery? I hate your god. It is bad luck in many ways but it is something that we can work to rectify, not just sit back and say 'it's what god wants'.

Perhaps it is Gods wish to test one's faith through allowing us not to believe in Gods existence in the first place-the brain capacity to form ones own opinions?
Maybe? I see no reason to imagine it is tho.

But keeping an open mind and reading everything
I agree, but I see alot of close-mindedness from theists and little from agnostics/atheists. I think it is important to reinterate that being open-minded means you're open to all sorts of differing points of view/possibilities - it does not mean you have to agree with them or even be civil in your disagreement.

It is a doctrine of the Church that faith does not come to us through reason alone, but by the grace of God.
More than likely it actually comes from the beliefs your parents handed down to you, but eh whatever.

If a person opposes even the possiblity of God's existence, then any arguments or evidence can be rationalized away.
No atheist I have ever met opposes the POSSIBILITY of God's existance. It is possible that god exists, but if he does he is currently outside of our current realm of knowledge and thus it makes no sense to imagine that he does.

any amount of belief in God has to come from your own spirit, from within your own heart, because it is the spirit of God that we are trying to find.
There are only two ways to go about comming up with an answer to a question, either through reason... or through bad reasoning.

But if you do not want to believe in God, you never will.
No atheist that I have ever met DOES NOT want to believe in the happy little god story that so many people accept. Alot may however not want to believe in say... the Old testament god.

I think you might be confused tho, you see... atheists don't not believe in God because they don't like the idea - it's because they can't because there's not enough proof for them.

There can be no scientific proof, simply because God is not physical or material, He is spiritual and infinite
If there can be no scientific proof than why do I need to even imagine that it exists? There are so many things that could possibly exist if we decide things exist outside of what science can prove, so which exist and which don't? You say 'look to your spirit/heart', I say that's just wishful thinking and it isn't rational.

bshoc

HSC
N/A
Wow 177 pages and counting, in a topic neither side can prove one way or the other.

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
live.fast said:
Er, no. Belief that is not blind is belief with at least a hint of scepticism and an open mind. Anyone who believes totally, without even an iota of doubt, is, of course, a blind believer. Those who believe on what they deem a balance of probabilities are probably the most rational believers, and the least fundamentalist ones. Those 'believers' are essentially agnostics at heart, but too idealistic to admit as much. The vast majority of people, even if they're superficially religious, are probably agnostics.

Pretty much. Irrespective of whatever a supposed God thinks, the moral and just athiest is a better man than the corrupt and evil believer. The vast majority of believers are nothing more than god-fearers - "I'd better show up to Church on Sunday, otherwise I'll burn in hell. But I'll still make time for cheating on my wife and embezzling company funds". Hypocrisy much?

Um, actually, it's nothing like that. Try reading through my description of the Wager again.

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
bshoc said:
Wow 177 pages and counting, in a topic neither side can prove one way or the other.
You've missed the point, because that's the point of this whole thread: to assert that we cannot know whether God exists or not. The tone of the thread has been more agnostic-vs-believer than athiest-vs-believer.

Furthermore, the mere fact that we can't reach a definitive answer on a question is no reason to avoid discussing the issues. If it was, the whole field of philosophy wouldn't exist. We learn more by asking the right questions than by getting the right answers to them.

live.fast

HSC
N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by live.fast

Er, no. Belief that is not blind is belief with at least a hint of scepticism and an open mind. Anyone who believes totally, without even an iota of doubt, is, of course, a blind believer. Those who believe on what they deem a balance of probabilities are probably the most rational believers, and the least fundamentalist ones. Those 'believers' are essentially agnostics at heart, but too idealistic to admit as much. The vast majority of people, even if they're superficially religious, are probably agnostics.

Then believing in God, with skepticism, makes no sense. That’s not true religious belief. You either believe, or you don’t, because having part belief, and part skepticism is not true faith. A believer of religion of course has to be a blind believer, because most ‘proof’ of their belief can be countered by reason, scientific argument etc…except for whether God exists. That’s where the point of having true, pure faith lies.

‘Those 'believers' are essentially agnostics at heart, but too idealistic to admit as much. The vast majority of people, even if they're superficially religious, are probably agnostics.’

That’s what we call a generalization.

Quote:

Pretty much. Irrespective of whatever a supposed God thinks, the moral and just athiest is a better man than the corrupt and evil believer. The vast majority of believers are nothing more than god-fearers - "I'd better show up to Church on Sunday, otherwise I'll burn in hell. But I'll still make time for cheating on my wife and embezzling company funds". Hypocrisy much?

What I’m pointing out is that if the atheist and the believer were on par morally, etc, then what is going to separate the believer from the atheist in God’s eyes?
Maybe the fact that the atheist had the chance to believe, to continue to do good things, but in good faith too, and didn’t?

If the atheist and believer are equal in morality and action etc, then there is no point in believing, because the rewards would have been equal – then why believe?

Because that’s the point of separation – those who believe, from those who don’t – We wouldn’t have been asked to believe, if there was no point to it either way.

The vast majority of believers are nothing more than god-fearers

Another generalization

Quote:

Um, actually, it's nothing like that. Try reading through my description of the Wager again.

I did. I was just trying to link it to that point of difference – between a believer and an atheist.

Quote:
But keeping an open mind and reading everything

I agree, but I see alot of close-mindedness from theists and little from agnostics/atheists. I think it is important to reinterate that being open-minded means you're open to all sorts of differing points of view/possibilities - it does not mean you have to agree with them or even be civil in your disagreement.

close-mindedness from theists and little from agnostics/atheists

Generalization

And the ‘close-mindedness’ that you see from theists, is called FAITH.

Quote:
It is a doctrine of the Church that faith does not come to us through reason alone, but by the grace of God.

More than likely it actually comes from the beliefs your parents handed down to you, but eh whatever.

You parents believed in God. That doesn’t mean you have to. THAT’S always a choice.

Quote:
If a person opposes even the possiblity of God's existence, then any arguments or evidence can be rationalized away.

No atheist I have ever met opposes the POSSIBILITY of God's existance. It is possible that god exists, but if he does he is currently outside of our current realm of knowledge and thus it makes no sense to imagine that he does.

I’m pretty sure the definition of an Atheist is someone who doesn’t believe God exists. Otherwise, he’d be a theist. If you don’t believe He exists, then how can you still believe there’s a possibility of He’s existence?

Quote:
any amount of belief in God has to come from your own spirit, from within your own heart, because it is the spirit of God that we are trying to find.

There are only two ways to go about comming up with an answer to a question, either through reason... or through bad reasoning.

Or maybe faith?

Quote:
But if you do not want to believe in God, you never will.

No atheist that I have ever met DOES NOT want to believe in the happy little god story that so many people accept. Alot may however not want to believe in say... the Old testament god.

I think you might be confused tho, you see... atheists don't not believe in God because they don't like the idea - it's because they can't because there's not enough proof for them.

It’s called faith…

Quote:
There can be no scientific proof, simply because God is not physical or material, He is spiritual and infinite

If there can be no scientific proof than why do I need to even imagine that it exists? There are so many things that could possibly exist if we decide things exist outside of what science can prove, so which exist and which don't? You say 'look to your spirit/heart', I say that's just wishful thinking and it isn't rational.

Do you love you parents? Do you have a partner you love? Well the idea of love is irrational – there’s no scientific proof that love, past being a notion, exists as it does – perhaps the idea of chemical brain processes is alluring to you, but love seems to be beyond the sum of its parts – beyond the physicalities like brain chemicals, love is an abstract notion for which there is no rationality to explain what it is physically, because it’s not physical – so if you’ve ever loved someone, well I guess that’s you believing in something you shouldn’t think exists.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)