• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God exist? (13 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Schroedinger said:
Gonna need an answer from a fundie, asap.

EDIT: Kings 7:23
Enlightened. Intellectual.
I dont really know why it is exactly that that verse needs to give such exact measurements? They surely wouldnt have needed to know that? Wouldnt it be weird???

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Schroedinger said:
That isn't an answer. Is Pi 3 or 3.1415
neither, it's a transcendental number which has a non-terminating, non-repeating decimal expansion, we can only write down an approximation of its true value to arbitrary precision :shy:

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Schroedinger said:
That isn't an answer. Is Pi 3 or 3.1415
According to my calculator it is 3.1415. I dont know how to work it out myself?
Does the bible say pi is 3? My bible doesnt....

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Schroedinger said:
10 across and 30 around?

And yet pi isn't 3?

How's that the case? Does your bible have decimal places? :)
I dont think the israelites did then. Do you? I think you are taking that out of context.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
The point is that they SHOULD give exact measurements (although by the nature of pi it can't be given exactly) because God is supposed to know these things, yes? Well "God" or more importantly whoever wrote the divinely uninspired Bible did not know.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
*TRUE* said:
I dont think the israelites did then. Do you? I think you are taking that out of context.
So you'd admit as much as that the text of the Bible exists in a particular cultural and historical context then? :D

Last edited:

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Kwayera said:
The point is that they SHOULD give exact measurements (although by the nature of pi it can't be given exactly) because God is supposed to know these things, yes? Well "God" or more importantly whoever wrote the divinely uninspired Bible did not know.
Lol

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Captain Gh3y said:
So you'd admit as much as that the text of the Bible exists in a particular cultural and historical context then? :D
nope. Just that it would be so weird if God did give pi exactly. Who knows? Maybe pi is three :)

phatchance

HSC
Enteebee, if it is not a conscious, what exactly is it? I understand that non 'conscious' observation (computers, other particles etc.) are enough to determine reality; what I am saying is, whatever DID create the universe is what we name God, and there is significant empirical evidence at this point that God has to exist, at least with an intuitive evaluation of the potential implications of conscious determinism. I don't take this as grand proof of biblical theology, however I think it makes the case for the presence of something we could label God. Even if God is a very smart subatomic particle.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
*TRUE* said:
nope. Just that it would be so weird if God did give pi exactly. Who knows? Maybe pi is three :)
Pi is not three. We know that much. So who do you believe? Science, or the Bible? You didn't answer the question.

And it's important because it goes towards what science you'd ignore because it contradicts the Bible - like the fact that the world's about 4.5 billion years old as opposed to 6-8 thousand.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Why does it have to have a consciousness? If you want to claim whatever 'did' create the universe is what you call god, isn't it quite possible that what created the universe is something magical yet unconscious? Or even that perhaps beyond our known universe there is one which has always existed and it created the singularity of our own somehow?

I dunno, if u wanna call anything that created the universe God go ahead... but this means very little to me.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
3unitz said:
it would have been nice if the bible showed some devine knowledge.

"a line of 31.41592654 (rounded) cubits did compass round about it, approximated using
lol

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
phatchance said:
Enteebee, if it is not a conscious, what exactly is it? I understand that non 'conscious' observation (computers, other particles etc.) are enough to determine reality; what I am saying is, whatever DID create the universe is what we name God, and there is significant empirical evidence at this point that God has to exist, at least with an intuitive evaluation of the potential implications of conscious determinism. I don't take this as grand proof of biblical theology, however I think it makes the case for the presence of something we could label God. Even if God is a very smart subatomic particle.
so under your definition god could be an amplified quantum fluctuation?

*TRUE* said:
Thanks.
I humbly admit my maths is terrible.
It's really not about maths as such, just a particular example of where the bible (the old testament being a book about old jewish myths and customs) taken literally is clearly not in agreement with reality.
So you have to either say it is a book written by man, with a particular historical/cultural context and not always literally true, or deny obvious reality and say it is always literally true.

Last edited:

phatchance

HSC
This whole pi argument is ridiculous and clutching at straws, surely you have stronger anti-biblical arguments that a small and ridiculous inconsistency in the bible? Surely one could simply argue that God chose to approximate given people wouldn't adequately appreciate the implications?

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
phatchance said:
This whole pi argument is ridiculous and clutching at straws, surely you have stronger anti-biblical arguments that a small and ridiculous inconsistency in the bible? Surely one could simply argue that God chose to approximate given people wouldn't adequately appreciate the implications?
In the past 6500 posts? Yep.

phatchance

HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
so under your definition god could be an amplified quantum fluctuation?
Exactly right, my belief is that if there is a God it's the product and sum of the universe. Probably, in a basic sense, the universe itself is God, and by its nature is the only one really in on the joke. Do you think your particles run around trying to debate your existence?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 13)