Does God exist? (5 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters
HSC
moll. said:
"Atheist" and "agnostic" are never capitalised in mid-sentence, and yet "Christian" always is. Why? No decent reason.
So until there is equality within the English language, we'll do what we like with it. This includes purposely spelling the name of your deity and dogma without a capital.
Don't like it? Find another language to converse in. One without upper- and lower-case distinctions. I believe Arabic is thus.
Actually, I would guess Christian[ity] is capitalised because it is formed from Christ, which should be capitalised.

And, funnily enough, many Christians capitalise atheism (either subconciously or deliberately to make it seem like a religion) and it annoys me every time. :p

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
alexdore993 said:
So then your claim that: "I would still be disgusted at the morality of the bible and the actions of the christian god. Pedantic toddler-like creature." That's a deliberate misrepresentation?

Would a 'pedantic toddler-like creature' forgive those who had lived a life of sin, essentially rejected him, if they asked for forgiveness? Would a 'pedantic toddler-like creature' send his only son, to sacrifice himself, so that his creations might be forgiven and enter into heaven?

I hardly think a god, if embodying the values you talk about, would preach of forgiveness, of loving all persons on earth.
What about Sodom and Gomorrah? (not to mention The Flood) I realise that god was killing sinners, but it's still pretty brutal. That's not a club that I want to join.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
veloc1ty said:
Actually, I would guess Christian[ity] is capitalised because it is formed from Christ, which should be capitalised.

And, funnily enough, many Christians capitalise atheism (either subconciously or deliberately to make it seem like a religion) and it annoys me every time. :p
And the reasons behind the capitalisation of Islam, Hinduism, Judaism etc?

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
alexdore993 said:
Would a 'pedantic toddler-like creature' forgive those who had lived a life of sin, essentially rejected him, if they asked for forgiveness? Would a 'pedantic toddler-like creature' send his only son, to sacrifice himself, so that his creations might be forgiven and enter into heaven?
Err... also add to it kinda psychotic, because what you have to remember when you talk about him sending his son to sacrafice himself is that HE makes up the rules, he is omnipotent. So he set up the rules to make it so that creatures who he made live lives of sin would reject him, ask for forgiveness and then he forgave them. He did this by setting up the rules so that he had to kill his own son, so that his creations could be 'forgiven' by himself, something which he made a pre-requesite to enter heaven for some reason.

impervious182

HSC
moll. said:
Nor are everyday Buddhists.

Buddhists don't believe in caste systems. That's a Hindu belief that Guatama specifically rebelled against in his time, much to the angst of the Hindu ruling class.
Sorry for not replying sooner moll.

From what I have heard about Buddhism, I thought that people were reborn in Buddhism. Here are a few links which talk about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebirth_(Buddhism)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reincarnation#Buddhism

"According to the scriptures, the Buddha taught a concept of rebirth that was distinct from that of any known contemporary Indian teacher. This concept was consistent with the common notion of a sequence of related lives stretching over a very long time, but was constrained by two core Buddhist concepts: anattā, that there is no irreducible ātman or "self" tying these lives together; and anicca, that all compounded things are subject to dissolution, including all the components of the human person and personality. At the death of one personality, a new one comes into being, much as the flame of a dying candle can serve to light the flame of another.[11][12]"

As for the caste system, you are 100% correct. I think I'd meshed Hinduism and Buddhism in my head on this point; which is quite easy to do considering they are quite similar...

moll. said:
Also, Buddhists believe that their actions in this life determine their position in the next life, with good actions being rewarded and bad actions punished. That really doesn't sound too dissimilar to Judeo-Christian beliefs.
You're right, in the sense that Christianity promotes the idea of acting with good intentions. However, where Christianity is concerned, one doesn't get into heaven for good deeds alone, but rather following in the footsteps of God and asking for redemption.

Last edited:

W3S

HSC
ok screw china and there current outlook, i'm concerned, if gods not real then how do we exist huh...... simple Darwin had the right idea, evolution. we may not have rock solid evidence either to prove or disprove god but refering to weather we've heard about china and weather we need it's existence proved to us is some of the dumbest crud i think i've ever heard..... thats like making an allusion to... i dunno luke skywalker when we're tallking about pancakes... christ...lol
Ahhh blasphemy, never gets old.
now evidence god is either a vegetable (useless) or non existant;
wheres a photo of him or a historicaly 'accurate' picture of him considering they are supposedly the same dude. and why does he look like some drugged up stoner from like the red light district.
why the f... would anyone beleive that the world id only 8 millenia old when carbon dating, accurate to about 75 years says the dinosaurs are millions, not thousands of years old.
and the big bang (single point theory) mustn't exist because without matter god couldn't either, unless he is an ethereal body and therefore cannot affect this plane of existance, if u beleive in the supernatural.

personally if gods real i wanna meet him. and cut him into peices an distribute him worldwide in jesus jars;
theres a peice for everyone
lol:devil:

HSC
moll. said:
And the reasons behind the capitalisation of Islam, Hinduism, Judaism etc?
Hahahaha niiiiiice. I didn't even think of that. You, sir, have a point.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
alexdore993 said:
Sorry for not replying sooner moll.

From what I have heard about Buddhism, I thought that people were reborn in Buddhism. Here are a few links which talk about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebirth_(Buddhism)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reincarnation#Buddhism
"According to the scriptures, the Buddha taught a concept of rebirth that was distinct from that of any known contemporary Indian teacher. This concept was consistent with the common notion of a sequence of related lives stretching over a very long time, but was constrained by two core Buddhist concepts: anattā, that there is no irreducible ātman or "self" tying these lives together; and anicca, that all compounded things are subject to dissolution, including all the components of the human person and personality. At the death of one personality, a new one comes into being, much as the flame of a dying candle can serve to light the flame of another.[11][12]"

As for the caste system, you are 100% correct. I think I'd meshed Hinduism and Buddhism in my head on this point; which is quite easy to do considering they are quite similar...
In my understanding, reincarnation is separate to rebirth and resurrection which were what you were refferring to.
But reincarnation shouldn't be such a foreign idea to you anyway. Do you not believe that your soul and consciousness will pass over from this existance into a new one? The only difference is that your new existance is a seperate world, whereas a Buddhists is in this world.
EDIT: And after reading the wikipedia article, it turns out that "rebirth" to a Buddhist is actually just "reincarnation", but Buddhist prefer the term "rebirth" as it does not imply the continuation of the previous life's consciousness.

You're right, in the sense that Christianity promotes the idea of acting with good intentions. However, where Christianity is concerned, one doesn't get into heaven for good deeds alone, but rather following in the footsteps of God and asking for redemption.
Isn't the belief in God and in Jesus as the Messiah and asking for redemption a way of apologising for previous sins? So really, it's a way of reducing the negetive karma attached to your person, much like altruism and humbleness does the same for a Buddhist? And aren't you told by your Messiah to be charitable, and to "judge not, lest ye be judged", and "to love thy neighbour as thyself"? All of these would also increase your positive karma, coincidentally, which would also allow you to get into heaven.
See? Your religions aren't as dissimilar as you thought.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
W3S said:
ok screw china and there current outlook, i'm concerned, if gods not real then how do we exist huh...... simple Darwin had the right idea, evolution. we may not have rock solid evidence either to prove or disprove god but refering to weather we've heard about china and weather we need it's existence proved to us is some of the dumbest crud i think i've ever heard..... thats like making an allusion to... i dunno luke skywalker when we're tallking about pancakes... christ...lol
Ahhh blasphemy, never gets old.
now evidence god is either a vegetable (useless) or non existant;
wheres a photo of him or a historicaly 'accurate' picture of him considering they are supposedly the same dude. and why does he look like some drugged up stoner from like the red light district.
why the f... would anyone beleive that the world id only 8 millenia old when carbon dating, accurate to about 75 years says the dinosaurs are millions, not thousands of years old.
and the big bang (single point theory) mustn't exist because without matter god couldn't either, unless he is an ethereal body and therefore cannot affect this plane of existance, if u beleive in the supernatural.

personally if gods real i wanna meet him. and cut him into peices an distribute him worldwide in jesus jars;
theres a peice for everyone
lol:devil:
You're an embarrassment to agnostics and atheists everywhere.

x.christina

I am actually a cat
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm Agnostic; kinda in-between the whole God and no God thing. I think they may (note MAY) be something out there, however all that Jesus and Mary and the fucking Bible is just pure crap to me. I don't believe that a couple of people 2000 yrs ago sat down and wrote this account and evrything HAPPENS TO MATCH UP with everyone else's story.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
x.christina said:
I'm Agnostic; kinda in-between the whole God and no God thing. I think they may (note MAY) be something out there, however all that Jesus and Mary and the fucking Bible is just pure crap to me. I don't believe that a couple of people 2000 yrs ago sat down and wrote this account and evrything HAPPENS TO MATCH UP with everyone else's story.
Google "Council of Nicea" for an example as to what the history of the Bible really consisted of.

x.christina

I am actually a cat
HSC
Uni Grad
moll. said:
Don't believe the Council of Nicea or the Bible?
Cos that site was disappointingly pro-Christian.
Sorry I don't believe any of it. Not the council or the bible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)