Does God exist? (2 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
I reckon when the bible was written gay ppl started to emerge and were seen as outcasts in all cultures and society. hence leading to it being put into the bible and being opposed to it being inputted into the religion. henceforth Christianity believing against gayism etc
Gay people weren't a new thing at the time when the Old Testament was written; in fact it was common practice of some of the nations around God's people to openly practice homosexuality amongst other practices (of which we would be horrified of).

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
What I don't understand about religion is the vast majority of people just believe what they're told from birth and they follow the religions of their parents. if u were born in Hinduism you would be a Hindu...
There are plenty of examples where this is not true, but I can understand the point, what you are trying to make

It has to do with what defines membership in a religion. Often membership is tied up in being a part of a family, and that is why conversion from the religion of your family is often hard (we are fairly lucky to have the freedom we do in the West) because it means cutting ties with your family and even your whole people's group subculture.

The most commendable people are those who knowing the risks of conversion, choose to anyways; it can mean they have found something deeper.

Christians stress for instance: that just because you were born in a Christian family, does not make you a Christian, there is I guess the necessity of one's own personal commitment to the faith; because Christian (yes it does have its communal element aka. church) is also very much so personal.

have talked with other Christians and they have so much bigotry and fuel to prove only their religion is right and do not accept other religions.
Strongly held beliefs or beliefs held with high confidence does not equal bigotry.

Sometimes Christians can be very eager and zealous, I think you can misunderstand their intentions to simply slap the label 'bigot' on them. If you believed you had the best news possible that could save someone's life from eternal misery/death then why wouldn't you make every effort to try to knock down arguments that people put up against it?? I don't see that for the most part, Christians (speaking generally, of course) are fuelled by an innate disrespect of other views, that you imply them to be.

I'd also be curious what these supposed 'facts' are, that you are referencing.

This is why I believe in and respect my own religion, my religion states that there is only 1 god. And each religion on earth follows that same God but in their different ways. Each religion has its own prophets (Jesus, Muhammed, guru Nanak, Krishna etc) who acts as guides who direct people to their religion and god which is everyone's god. This is why Jesus is seen in Islam. etc
If you indeed believe as your comments suggest (and this is where I believe you are in error) that all religions teach the same thing, they do not (and I've debated Muslims on this very thread to show that their religion while they may deeply believe to be true DOES not teach the same thing as my religion, and that we worship different Gods), and it does a great deal.

Sure, I have a lot of respect for Muslims, but doesn't mean i have to think they are right. You can disagree with someone, and still treat them as a person.

Often those who say that each religion follows that same God but in their different ways often has overlooked the obvious ways in which the God which different religions worship is a DIFFERENT God.

Consider Islam and Christianity for instance: in Islam, the idea of Trinity, is a blasphemous; while in Christianity to deny the Trinity is heresy.
That alone should reveal that Muslims and Christians do not worship the same God.

One worships a God that is triune, one that can be immanent (present) with his people (because of salvation accomplished by Jesus), who you know through his word.

The other worships a God that is unitarian God, that one knows via Quran / a prophet.

Hinduism is the oldest religion in the world, so y is it not correct if it came 3000 years before Christianity?
even though Hinduism was founded well before Christianity
The existence of religions prior to Christ isn't really an convincing argument for its truthfulness; neither mind you is the number of global adherents, one should really assess what each religion teaches.

Belief in Yahweh, the God of the Bible, predates 'Christianity' as does classical Judaism. Christianity came out of Judaism (not Hinduism).

The short answer about Hinduism, is because it is a wrong view about a lot of things.
1. Consistent Hindusim does have some very problematic implications for those who are suffering, there is no comfort or hope.

You make a valid point if you were born into a religion how do you know what is right? I believe God sent Jesus unto this earth to show people the right way of life and to teach them how they should live their lives pleasing to God. The similarities between all religions is that we all believe in a God and a purpose of life. However, what makes us different is what is being taught in our religions, when I read the bible I feel fulfilled knowing that everything we do can be righteous and when I do these actions I feel loved and to make other people feel loved, feels so right. These aren't just rules we follow, but when we gain a deeper understanding from these scriptures, allow us to be untouched by suffering and evil.
but god also sent the other prophets to teach good and bad
I cannot speak for other religions, but the heart of the Christian message is not primarily about doing good stuff, and the right way of life (which is a STRONG point of difference between myself and perhaps what has Coconut1 said); it is a God who has worked mightly to bring salvation to people to bring them to know him through the death of Jesus (dying as a substitute / ransom). Its emphasis therefore is not what I MUST do to be righteous, but the fact that God is righteous, and through Jesus, we can be accounted righteous because of what he has done.

Any religious or for that matter non-religious person can feel that it is right / or feel loved by allegience/obedience to a moral code, because that is the often the moral code of the community (and obedience leads one to acceptance), it doesn't mean the underlying worldview is objectively the reality.

In order to evaluate each world religion, you have to understand their differences. It is dishonest or uninformed to say that all religions are the same. Even major sects within Islam and 'Christianity' can have major differences.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
To use the illustration used by relativists:

There are 5 blind men who are feeling their way around an elephant.
- one blind man feels the trunk and says, this feels like a hose.
- one blind man feels the tail, and says, this feels like a rope.
- one blind man feels the legs, and says, this feels like a tree
- one blind man feels the side of the elephant, this feels like a wall.
etc.

The illustration then goes on to explain how each of the world religions, with their morals and prophets and teachings is each of their one blind men, but they never really get the whole reality. They are partially right but don't have the full picture (and so they need each other etc etc.)

The first obvious problem is the one who says that all religions teach the same thing, and that they all believe in the same God, which itself is a objective truth claim about reality, which is self-defeating argument if the goal is to say that everyone is right, because at some point you have to say someone is wrong.

The second obvious problem is what happens if the elephant speaks and says "I am an elephant", then it doesn't matter what the blind men feel, if they continue to say, well this must be X, this must be a Y, then they are either hard of hearing or just plain wrong.

Christianity stands on what God has spoken, through his Son Jesus. It is not really about humans trying to grasp God (and getting it wrong, or being not 100% sure), but about God revealing himself to us definitely through Jesus and through his saving acts towards his people.
Secondly, it is not about doing good deeds to earn merit/righteous standing before God; but rather about God's inheritent righteousness working out a way for evil men* (*humanity) to be reconciled to himself.

(This is why some Christians will have immense boldness to flatly say another religion is wrong, because of their high confidence in that God has spoken).

Coconut1

HSC
N/A
Often those who say that each religion follows that same God but in their different ways often has overlooked the obvious ways in which the God which different religions worship is a DIFFERENT God.
I have just discovered that all religions actually have different faiths, I previously thought that they all took inspiration from each other however, there are major differences which actually help us in discovering the truth of God. I mean't that all religions believe in a higher being however come to find out buddhism doesn't. I have now edited my response :)

You make a valid point if you were born into a religion how do you know what is right? I believe God sent Jesus unto this earth to show people the right way of life and to teach them how they should live their lives pleasing to God. There are many differences in what is being taught in our religions, for example Buddhists don't believe in God, Hinduism believes in many Gods, Judaism believe that Jesus has not come yet, and Islam believe the trinity and anyone who believes Jesus is the Son of God to have committed sin. Another difference between the Islamic God and the Christian God is his Fatherhood. According to Jesus, God is our Father, yet the Quran denies this and states in 5.18, tells Muslims to rebuke Jews and Christians for calling God their loving Father because humans are just things that God has created. When I read the bible I feel fulfilled knowing that everything we do can be righteous and when I do these actions I feel loved and to make other people feel loved, feels so right.
These aren't just rules we follow, but when we gain a deeper understanding from these scriptures, allow us to be untouched by suffering and evil.
We believe in a loving God who allows us to be forgiven and redeem ourselves for the times we have sinned since he showed great compassion on us especially when he sent his only Son to crucified a horrible death on the cross to save us from our sins.

Last edited:

Coconut1

HSC
N/A
I cannot speak for other religions, but the heart of the Christian message is not primarily about doing good stuff, and the right way of life (which is a STRONG point of difference between myself and perhaps what has Coconut1 said); it is a God who has worked mightly to bring salvation to people to bring them to know him through the death of Jesus (dying as a substitute / ransom). Its emphasis therefore is not what I MUST do to be righteous, but the fact that God is righteous, and through Jesus, we can be accounted righteous because of what he has done.
Can you elaborate on that because I don't understand what your trying to say, When I talk about loving and caring for others I am putting it a Christian perceptive in helping the poor, spreading the Word of God, loving your neighbours as God has loved us, forgiving our neighbours as God forgives us. It is not enough to say you believe in God but act in a way that doesn't demonstrate that, by acting in a righteous way and refraining from sin we are able to become closer to God.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
Can you elaborate on that because I don't understand what your trying to say, When I talk about loving and caring for others I am putting it a Christian perceptive in helping the poor, spreading the Word of God, loving your neighbours as God has loved us, forgiving our neighbours as God forgives us. It is not enough to say you believe in God but act in a way that doesn't demonstrate that, by acting in a righteous way and refraining from sin we are able to become closer to God.
Of course I understand what you mean by that, and these things are still things that are good things to do. But these are the fruits of the gospel, not the good news itself - this is the response. (It could be a difference between the protestant vs. orthodox)

The Christian morals, as good as they are, are not the main message of Christianity.
The main message of Christianity is about God and him saving us through Jesus which is what we remember every Easter;
and how as Paul say this: "it is by grace you have been saved, not by works, so that no-one can boast"

I am simply using it highlight that many religions emphasise their good morals and while having good morals is important, teaching moralism can lead people to feel either self-righteous or despair; the latter of which you see often. I wanted to highlight why Jesus offers something better than merely just an good example; that he actually saves us in a relationship (i.e. knowing and being known by) the living God.

Coconut1

HSC
N/A
Yes, What makes Orthodoxy different from other demonations, is the emphasis of a deep spiritual connection with God and Jesus. We strongly value going to church, taking communion, being baptised and prayer very seriously as this is what allows us to have Jesus's spirit in us. Through the spiritual presence of God (God's Spirit is birthed in our heart.) We are then able to inherit Christ's nature, beginning with His love and compassion for people, and especially our fellow brothers and sisters in Christ. “We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love the brethren. He who does not love his brother abides in death.” (1 John 3:14). And as we continue to grow in Him, and allow ourselves to become led by His new Spirit within us, His characteristics will continue to bloom from our life... in the form of what the scripture calls fruit, as the Apostle Paul said “...the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, long suffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control” (Gal 5:22-23).

Last edited:

Coconut1

HSC
N/A
This is what I found to be the main differences in religions, is that they have a similar view of humans being unworthy of God, this is true, we do not deserve the love of God but as unworthy as we are God's grace saved us when he sent down Jesus to die in our place for our sins. The bible teaches that all people fall short of God’s holy perfection. Romans 3:23 puts it this way: “For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.” The sins of humanity created a debt we owe to God, and our sin created a gap we experience with God. Jesus was crucified on the cross, cancelling the debt every one of us owes to God. He is the Saviour saving us from death. But his death did something else, too, it saved us from separation with God now, and also in the life to come. God is absolutely holy and perfect, and even one sin — just one — would be enough to keep us from His presence. The Bible says of God, “Your eyes are too pure to look on evil; you cannot tolerate wrongdoing” (Habakkuk 1:13). Even the best person who has ever lived won’t be able to stand before God, because His standard is perfection. Through his Son we are able to enter the doorway to heaven as He alone was without sin, for He was fully God (as well as fully man). But on the cross all our sins were transferred to Him, and He took upon Himself the judgment we deserve. Now He offers us salvation as a free gift — free, because He has already paid for it.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
This is what I found to be the main differences in religions, is that they have a similar view of humans being unworthy of God, this is true, we do not deserve the love of God but as unworthy as we are God's grace saved us when he sent down Jesus to die in our place for our sins. The bible teaches that all people fall short of God’s holy perfection. Romans 3:23 puts it this way: “For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.” The sins of humanity created a debt we owe to God, and our sin created a gap we experience with God. Jesus was crucified on the cross, cancelling the debt every one of us owes to God. He is the Saviour saving us from death. But his death did something else, too, it saved us from separation with God now, and also in the life to come. God is absolutely holy and perfect, and even one sin — just one — would be enough to keep us from His presence. The Bible says of God, “Your eyes are too pure to look on evil; you cannot tolerate wrongdoing” (Habakkuk 1:13). Even the best person who has ever lived won’t be able to stand before God, because His standard is perfection. Through his Son we are able to enter the doorway to heaven as He alone was without sin, for He was fully God (as well as fully man). But on the cross all our sins were transferred to Him, and He took upon Himself the judgment we deserve. Now He offers us salvation as a free gift — free, because He has already paid for it.
God created us, and his omniscience means he knew the original sin would occur. So sounds like it's on him, really.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
God created us, and his omniscience means he knew the original sin would occur. So sounds like it's on him, really.
" While the fall was a great evil, it made it possible for God to bring about even greater goods in its wake: the God-glorifying goods of the incarnation, atonement, resurrection, and all the salvific blessings that flow from them. "

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
" While the fall was a great evil, it made it possible for God to bring about even greater goods in its wake: the God-glorifying goods of the incarnation, atonement, resurrection, and all the salvific blessings that flow from them. "
ghey

thatgaegoth

HSC
I don't feel like debating I just don't think God exists, or at least the Christian God.

There might be something out there :confused:

Coconut1

HSC
N/A
What makes you doubt the existence of a Christian God but the possibility of a higher power?

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Used to believe god exists because I was kinda forced to when I was younger.

Science starts at a zero point assuming that we don’t know anything about the universe and then seeks evidence and experiments to prove anything we come up with. Whereas with god there is no objective proof of it’s existence. The bible and other texts are written by humans so they aren’t evidence either.

The only strong point that there is for the existence of a god is that we can’t create something out of nothing, however many Scientific theories also suggest the Universe has existed infinitely, but just like ‘Gods’ they are theories at this stage and nothing more.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)