Does God Exist? (6 Viewers)

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
rama_v said:
Who said that? Do you believe that God causes death and destruction etc? Thats not God, its nature. THat bad thigns happen are explained by two philosophies, that of karma and reincarnation. e.g. Buddhists believe that if you make someone else's life miserable, then you in turn will suffer in a future life. People bring suffering onto themselves...
but god controls nature....nature does not operate on its own.....

also buddhists dont believe in god so that philosophy does not apply to god believers.....and karma also is not too popular in religions and is non existent in the 3 main religions (christianity, judaism and islam)....god controls everything and wateva happens is by his command....humans can not live in a perfect world on earth...we must have these tests and trials to test our faith...

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
jm1234567890 said:
i'm interested.

has anyone changed their viewpoint based on this thread?
It has actually strengthened my faith, started getting me back into reading literature about the issue being discussed

joujou_84 said:
we r all destined to hell??? and why is that......god didnt create us to send us to hell......anyway and wat does "if u got Jesus, u got heaven" mean.....jesus is the only way to heaven....everyone else is screwed???
That depends on what Christian viewpoint you a from. Some Christians do believe so, especially the fundamentalists, but a lot also dont believe that. If you look way back towards the middle I was talking about how you can interpret the Christian Bible to show that God judges everyone equally to get into Heaven.

rama_v

HSC
transcendent said:
The Old Testament. Moses and the Egyptian pharoah. Lots of stories. I haven't read the Bible in a while but I remember a whole lot, just not the details.
Unfortunately I have not read the bible, the Old testament etc. But I dotn believe that God would get angry or be incompassionate, because that beats the defniition of God - the perfect soul.

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
transcendent said:
The Old Testament. Moses and the Egyptian pharoah. Lots of stories. I haven't read the Bible in a while but I remember a whole lot, just not the details.

dont makes claims u cant back up.....as for moses and the pharaohs.....the pharaoh deserved his punishment for proclaiming himself god and punishing the jews...god is vengful and incompassionate to those who r vengful and incompasionate to him....a god that loved such ppl would be considered a weak god not worthy of being followed...

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
joujou_84 said:

also buddhists dont believe in god so that philosophy does not apply to god believers.....and karma also is not too popular in religions and is non existent in the 3 main religions (christianity, judaism and islam)....god controls everything and wateva happens is by his command....humans can not live in a perfect world on earth...we must have these tests and trials to test our faith...
The church response to these issues, especially the recent tragedy is interesting. There are a number of interpretations from all religions of what role God in fact played in this tragedy. Many fundamentalist from various religions claim it to be punishment for sins. Others say God's work is obvious through the great donations and charities. Others even see the good that comes out of such a horrid incident, such as the collaboration between nations whose main religion is different, the working together of charities from different religions, even here in Australia that prayer service held was a collaboration of all the religions.

rama_v

HSC
joujou_84 said:

You are right to a degree, but God doesn't control nature, he simply creates the rules . We humans are the ones that disrupt them. If you burn too much fuel, you end up with GLobal Warming and flooods and droughts. All of a sudden, they are Gods fault. Now whose faults are they?

rama_v

HSC
acmilan said:
Others even see the good that comes out of such a horrid incident, such as the collaboration between nations whose main religion is different, the working together of charities from different religions, even here in Australia that prayer service held was a collaboration of all the religions.
I think that was excellent, its the point that shoudl be stressed

transcendent

HSC
N/A
rama_v said:
Unfortunately I have not read the bible, the Old testament etc. But I dotn believe that God would get angry or be incompassionate, because that beats the defniition of God - the perfect soul.
everyone has this idea that just because God is the creator means he has to be nice. he doesn't HAVE to be nice. he doesn't OWE you anything, he doesn't have to be compassionate. you actually owe HIM something. he was doing YOU a favour by giving you life.

Last edited:

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
rama_v said:
You are right to a degree, but God doesn't control nature, he simply creates the rules . We humans are the ones that disrupt them. If you burn too much fuel, you end up with GLobal Warming and flooods and droughts. All of a sudden, they are Gods fault. Now whose faults are they?
yes but god allows this to happen......it is our actions that add to global warming etc however if god didnt want this to occur he would stop it....nothing is beyond gods control...wat religion r u btw??

rama_v

HSC
joujou_84 said:
yes but god allows this to happen......it is our actions that add to global warming etc however if god didnt want this to occur he would stop it....nothing is beyond gods control...wat religion r u btw??
Im Hindu. Even God is not above the Laws of Karma. Nor would there be any need to stop it.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
joujou_84 said:
dont makes claims u cant back up.....as for moses and the pharaohs.....the pharaoh deserved his punishment for proclaiming himself god and punishing the jews...god is vengful and incompassionate to those who r vengful and incompasionate to him....a god that loved such ppl would be considered a weak god not worthy of being followed...
yes, the tsunami was a great example of this because they obviously deserved it. GOD IS VENGEFUL AND INCOMPASSIONATE, I should've added not all the time though.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
rama_v said:
Im Hindu. Even God is not above the Laws of Karma. Nor would there be any need to stop it.
Thats awesome, it adds to the diversity of the discussion

rama_v

HSC
acmilan said:
Thats awesome, it adds to the diversity of the discussion
lol I would like to add however much the argument gets heated, I support all religions, I do not think its wrong not to believe in God, and I do not wish to convert anyone either.

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
transcendent said:
yes, the tsunami was a great example of this because they obviously deserved it. GOD IS VENGEFUL AND INCOMPASSIONATE, I should've added not all the time though.

but ur not god..u do not know why god caused this tsunami to occur..."saying that god wanted the ppl to die coz they deserved it" is saying that u know gods agenda....and u dont...

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
joujou_84 said:
what r the laws of karma??
its bullshit

karma is an illusion, it is all gods will

perhaps the only thing karma can be likened to is mammon (which is also one of gods creations.)

Kierkegaard

HSC
Shoes and ships...

Well, I have a different perspective entirely: I'm a deist.

In my humble opinion, it's pretty darn primitive to believe that God causes natural disasters etc. It doesn't take an expert geo-physicist to recognize that these are predetermined events that can be predicted and calculated (given the right technology).

As a deist, I don't believe in Karma either. I believe in causation, which is a much more empirical version of Karma. Karma speaks of these empirical causal chains, but also of two disconnected events having some causal connection, due to some human action. This is highly irrational and we should be very sceptical of such claims. It's like claiming that you won the lottery because you were wearing a lucky ring at the time of choosing your numbers. Well, someone had to win the lottery and I'm sure plenty of other people used some form of 'lucky charm(s)', yet did not win the lottery. One's picking the winning numbers and wearing a lucky ring have no direct causal link. If I were to steal money from a kid on the street and then get run over by a drunken driver 5 minutes later, there would be absolutely no reason for me to believe that these two events had any causal connection. It would be highly irrational.

DEISM
So, no Karma and no vengeful God. It kind of takes all the mysticism out of believing in God, doesn't it?

Last edited:

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
Kierkegaard said:
Well, I have a different perspective entirely: I'm a deist.

In my humble opinion, it's pretty darn primative to believe that God causes natural disasters etc. It doesn't take an expert geo-physicist to recognize that these are predetermined events that can be predicted and calculated (given the right technology).
so r u saying that nature is more powerful than god and operates on its own without any input from god....this of course meaning that god is not all powerful at all.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)