• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Does GPA start fresh in a new course? (1 Viewer)

Cab31

HSC
Im having trouble figuring something out with my GPA.

I did one year of a uni course, then used that GPA to transfer into another course, and have now done a year of the course i have transferred into. The problem is that i want to transfer again, but i would like to know if my GPA will be calculated fresh from this year, or will include the year i did of the other course?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Well, if UAC/the uni you're transferring to take UAI and all tertiary marks, then all your marks from any uni course will be considered

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Another question about GPA. If the first year of your course was pass/fail, that won't affect your GPA will it? It will only be considered on the courses that were actually graded right?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
No, the Pass/fail course will be given a score equal to that of a "pass" in a graded course.

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
As Ash was asking, the first year of her course is only graded as pass/fail while the rest is graded normally (I believe?). Do you have an older copy of the UTS Handbooks? If so, look up your course in there and it might tell you how your course is graded. If your course is only a pass course, then you'll get a Pass degree no matter what your WAM, otherwise you'll get a graded degree.

As for your GPA and if you want to transfer, I think what Minai said would be correct. However, for internal UTS purposes, they'll look at your WAM. Do you get marks for your subjects or just a Pass?

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Yeah it was pass/fail in first year with no marks on our transcripts, then graded for the rest.

It doesn't really matter for me, but I was just curious.

Cab31

HSC
jasee said:
As Ash was asking, the first year of her course is only graded as pass/fail while the rest is graded normally (I believe?). Do you have an older copy of the UTS Handbooks? If so, look up your course in there and it might tell you how your course is graded. If your course is only a pass course, then you'll get a Pass degree no matter what your WAM, otherwise you'll get a graded degree.

As for your GPA and if you want to transfer, I think what Minai said would be correct. However, for internal UTS purposes, they'll look at your WAM. Do you get marks for your subjects or just a Pass?
I was essentially asking about it for my friend. I wrote it as me so people wouldnt get confused.
My friend did a year of a communications type subject, and didnt like it. She transferred into exercise and sports nutrition, which she will have done a year of at the endof this year. She wants to transfer into just plain nutrition, but doesnt know if the GPA they will go off will be her one from this year only, or her combination of the past two years, despite them being different courses.

From what you guys have said, i take it that they will take into account her first year of study when working out her GPA for a transfer?

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Cab31 said:
I was essentially asking about it for my friend. I wrote it as me so people wouldnt get confused.
My friend did a year of a communications type subject, and didnt like it. She transferred into exercise and sports nutrition, which she will have done a year of at the endof this year. She wants to transfer into just plain nutrition, but doesnt know if the GPA they will go off will be her one from this year only, or her combination of the past two years, despite them being different courses.

From what you guys have said, i take it that they will take into account her first year of study when working out her GPA for a transfer?
i guess (guess) they will use both as, mq at least, say that ALL subjects attempted will be taken into account

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)