• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

does groupwork suck shit? (1 Viewer)

IceBreaker

HSC
almost all course involve some kind of groupwork if im correct. do you always get somebody who just lazy and not willing to contribute?

LazyBoy

HSC
if i did ill clip him/her over the ear, tell him/her to pull the plum from there arse and get to work.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Yeah, my course has heaps of groupwork - got 4 group assignments to do this semester. For sure theres always "free riders" but considering your at uni, people should be able to figure out for yourself how to work around the suitation. At the end of all my group work assignments, we have had to do a peer evalution, which will give people in the group different marks - according to how much work everyone does. The lecturer works out the average of all the people and then you get the final grade. And yes, you assess yourself as well.

santaslayer

HSC
it'll make it fairly hard to give urself 100% when u've obviously put in -100%...LoLz

gets harder when ur fellow group members assess u as well..

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
No, you don't do that, because the lecturer will know that your trying to give yourself good marks. And when it all averages out, you might get very low marks. Its just easier to bribe the people in your group before the assessment :D

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
IceBreaker said:
almost all course involve some kind of groupwork if im correct. do you always get somebody who just lazy and not willing to contribute?

U know last year in semester 2 , i had group work for all my subjects, for accounting, ecmt and economics , my group members were good :) but for infs , my group was horrible :mad: ......they didn't do anything for the assignment, i did it all by myself, they were least bothered about it...... :rolleyes:

mishka

HSC
N/A
i don't mind doing a couple of group assignments, but i'd rather do ones by myself... i guess i like working alone and seeing my own efforts. i tend to take too much responsibility in groups :rolleyes:
isn't the whole point of uni "self-guided learning" anyway?? just seems that a lot of emphasis is placed on groupwork. *shrugs*

Dumdida

HSC
N/A
i have to do 2 groupworks and they are worth 25% each, the pple in my group better not fck around man or else ill chop them! lol i really need da marx, meh hopefully they will not be too lazy.....need som smart pplz!

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
An old accounting tutor I had last year told me that in one year, a certain group had to take out AVO's against one another because they became violently uncohesive.

So yeah, find a good group!

Acid

HSC
I'm probably gonna get some group assignments this week. Hope I can find a group that's mature enough to realise that they're coming to Uni voluntarily to benefit themselves so it's stupid not to just get the job done.

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
i got two group work stuff to do

one in management where peer evaluation applies
another in business law/ethics where the average of all the marks is given to each member

the 2nd one is soooo dumb, im about to complain about it right now :(

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
it gets ridiculously bad especially for law subjects when there are international students or people who seem like them (i think they're called FOBS :) ) who are willing to tag around just enough to suck out all the inspiration out of you and leave you with a fail :)

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
it depends on your group, one of my group presentations last year got really catty and and everyone hated this one girl cos she kept trying to take over and then never bothered to show up when we were going to meet, which sucked since 3 of us were travelling from the central coast specifically for that meeting because it was the only time she could make it....every time i have had groupwork we have had to hand in an individual essay or whatever as well so you dont just get marked on what the group does. i have to do fieldwork this year and my partner is good though

iamsickofyear12

HSC
I have to do group work for one of my subjects, and my group consists of 4 people, 2 of which are asian and can't speak english very well. So I already hate group work.

baker182

HSC
Minai said:
An old accounting tutor I had last year told me that in one year, a certain group had to take out AVO's against one another because they became violently uncohesive.

So yeah, find a good group!
They won't be catching up for a beer

stazi

Nightman
HSC
elect a project leader. that would help make the group more cohesive. I'm suggesting it at our 1st mktg tute.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)