• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

does groupwork suck shit? (2 Viewers)

doe

HSC
N/A
i avoided groupwork like the plague. i wouldnt enrol in units that required group work. at uni groupwork will only go well if you are good friends with all the people in your group. there is (more or less) no recourse if you are unhappy with a member of the group.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
That's not true. You don't have to be good friends with the people in the group (and it can in fact make things harder, see below) but you do have to more or less get on with them.

If you have any say in the matter try and form a group where you know the members are all willing to do their share of work. For some this may mean actively excluding one's friends, since one knows that they don't do the work unless harassed.

The reason it can be hard to work with your friends is that you may come to a point where you need to give an assessment of group members, and these often are the difference between a pass and a fail. If your friend deserves a fail, would you be prepared to give it to them? I had to do that last year and it wasn't fun.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
My only core subject for this semester - environment and tourism management - 100% of the marks come from group work. Not looking forward to starting the assignments.

jellybeenz

HSC
I don't think I have any groupwork for my course. I don't work well in groups, I think I'm one of those people everyone is complaining about. If I know someone else will do it for me, I won't do it. Its a horrible way to think, but groupwork just encourages my laziness when I'm working hard to get over it.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
For the group assessment I have to do we made groups the first tutorial. Because no one knew anyone else it was basically just count 4 people along and they are a group, count 4 more and they are a group and so on. So if you weren't sitting in a good area you got screwed.

klh

HSC
i got group work in all 4 of my units. 2 of them are reports and the other 2 are case study presentations.
i hate group work...becoz free time can clash with toehrs time too. i had to forego lunch when i did my group one last year or else they all would write down that i was uncooperating. then they decided to just delegate tasks to me and they would do some. then becoz i was sick i couldnt keep up and they all got pissed. then when it was a week away and we had a team meeting, they didnt finish much either so they were hypocritical that they took it out on me. i hope my groups this year turn out better.
just choose poeple who look friendly if you dont know anyone. or poeplle who look like they will do the work.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Most of the time with group work you end up just delegating tasks, which defeats the purpose of having group work in the first place so why don't they just make it all individual. I think most people would appreciate it if it was.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
I only did one group-work assignment last yr, and it was SHIT (side effect of having a group composed entirely of mature age bpsych students [apart from me]), although we worked in groups in the labs, which was great (coz we then went away to write individual reports)

This yr a HUGE component of my course is group-work, although I think this time I have a really good group and we seem to be going well, 3-weeks in.

tyra

HSC
you are lucky. all my tutorials have only ugly people. i need someone hot so it will motivate me to go to uni. in high school there were heaps of hotties in my class and it made me look forward to going to high school every day :D

neeja

Marco Polo meows you!
HSC
group work especially sucks if there is this guy that wont leave you alone, stalking you and he gets put in same group as you!...evil...evil bastard. he switched tutes just because i showed him my timetable (not the wisest move on my part but i show it to everyone anyway)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
neeja said:
group work especially sucks if there is this guy that wont leave you alone, stalking you and he gets put in same group as you!...evil...evil bastard. he switched tutes just because i showed him my timetable (not the wisest move on my part but i show it to everyone anyway)
wait. youre male too?
Your timetable's in your sig.

baker182

HSC
natstar said:
Most of my units have presentations we have to do with them- one actually has a drama presentation that has to go for 30 mins. Lucky I have outgoing people in my group, not to mention 2 hotties.
You should ask them for a 3some hehehe

monzi

HSC
Groups Suck

OMG I HATE GROUP WORK.. I have a dysfunctional group! They don't do anything! and usually these group assignments are a huge percentage of the final assessment mark.. LAZY they expect me to do everything.. But its alright, i'll just report them to the tutor.. I think its unfair when they leave you to do all the work when you have 10 million other things to complete...

samuelblayden

Newcstle Knights 2006
HSC
it does and does not if you work by your self you do it how you want in a group you get to share the work load

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)