Does it matter? (1 Viewer)

asdf5432

HSC
I'm in Year 11 and one of my subjects is Modern History. Because I like history a lot, I want to take up History Ext. in year 12. However, is Hist. Ext. better for those who have done both Ancient and Modern History in Year 11 or does it not matter at all?
:) I hope it doesn't matter.

X

xeuyrawp

asdf5432 said:
I'm in Year 11 and one of my subjects is Modern History. Because I like history a lot, I want to take up History Ext. in year 12. However, is Hist. Ext. better for those who have done both Ancient and Modern History in Year 11 or does it not matter at all?
:) I hope it doesn't matter.
It doesn't really matter outside of your core study. Obviously, students who studied Ancient Greece in Ancient will be more equiped to deal with the Thucidydes core study, and vice versa.

Also, most students like to stick within their areas in the major work - I wouldn't do an ancient major work if I was you.

That being said, you should definitely try history extension, just on the basis that you enjoy history!

lowek

HSC
It really doesn't matter that much. It isn't really to do with ancient or modern it's the study of history itself and I don't really think anyone is affected by only doing one type of history. If you don't like it you can just drop it anyway q: Have fun though [:

trev_2541

HSC
Nope, not really but u have 2 ask urself do u like the way in which history is written, dont go in ther thinking that u will be doing WWII or ne thing like that its how history has been recorded by people over the past, also u have 2 put up with the wanking that these historians do they just crap on and on about how good they are

Adam

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
trev_2541 said:
Nope, not really but u have 2 ask urself do u like the way in which history is written, dont go in ther thinking that u will be doing WWII or ne thing like that its how history has been recorded by people over the past, also u have 2 put up with the wanking that these historians do they just crap on and on about how good they are

Adam
Hmm. Adam's not really an Ext Hist person, then.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
i don't really believe the historians are wanking on about how good they are. if you're referring to the elton/carr debate then you're taking it out of context.

only the postmodernists and poststructuralists IMHO may go on about how their discipline is TEH BEST!!1!! but other than that no most of the historians we've studied utilise reasonable methodology (although can be biased etc)

but anyway to the thread starter. def do hist ext if you enjoy your history. i find mod a better complement for hist ext because it has more of a historiography component then ancient (artefacts don't really count but again i'm biased so apply your critical thinking for the words i'm writing ;)).

oh and you'll find it easier to analyse sources for your MW if you've had source analysis drilled into your head from the beginning of prelim mod. so there you go you should be set for yr 12!

have fun in yr 11 though :)

trev_2541

HSC
Triangulum said:
Hmm. Adam's not really an Ext Hist person, then.
Well, yes and no, I havent come back to this discussion for a while. I enjoy the history and the way that it is written but i dislike the fact that it is the historians that are constantly beating their own drums (especially Reynolds/Jenkins). But I suppose it leads us to the main underlying issue of ext history why is history written and what is the historians purpose? It just annoys me from time to time that historians can be so self indulgent that they remove themselves from any sort of constructive or deconstructive criticisms, although I do find it captivating to see how history is interperated and by whom, but it's just wankers like Reynolds/Jenkins, one who wears the proverbial balck arm band and the other who creates the pretty meta fiction, they seem to debate nothingness with little or almost no historical backgrounds. The Elton/Carr debate on the other hand is entertaining and captivating as it essentially deals with the whole idea of hisotry and how people write it, and yes it does frustrate me about the whole post-modernist ideal how can one really write that there is no such thing as an absolute truth, isn't that just an absolute truth.

No I must disagree I do enjoy ext his it's just im probably just as cynical as those who write these self-serving histories.

Adam

~*Bubbles*~

HSC
i only do ancient, and it was the same in yr elven, and im doing fine with the modern historiography, i think you should give it a go, but like previously said, id stick with a modern major work subject if i was you, but go for it, and good luck, i hope u enjoy :)

haveagoodday

HSC
It depends on wat your history extension core study is!!! we are doing JFK... i never did modern history.... soo im screwed for the trials i got 3 for the historians and 8 for my case study!!! i think doing both would help but its not necesary!!

well neways i have to go to history extention now..... im in sooo much trouble!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)