Does low price tutoring = inferior quality tutoring ? (1 Viewer)

Does low price tutoring = inferior teaching

• Yes

Votes: 11 14.1%
  • No

Votes: 67 85.9%

• Total voters

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
generally, the answer is no.

Although i think there would be an impression amongst parents, especially, that quality tutors usually charge more for their services.

When it comes to tutoring in year 12 parents don't care too much about the financial cost any longer; so the large rates are not so much of a disincentive anywho..

getting back to your question - no. However you'd be forgiven for thinking that dear tutors aren't usually proficient.. as quality tutors would be stupid to charge pitiful amounts

mecramarathon

HSC
getting a high school teacher for tutoring under $40/hr is rare,

but some uni students offer better teaching than them for a much cheaper rate,

a good tutor should have a plethora of resources e.g. trial papers from sydney grammar or other selective schools etc etc and a track record of band 6 students

jswlms

HSC
I don't think there's a direct relationship between the price and quality of tutoring.

renell

HSC
not necessarily. I've also found being a history/English tutor, those teaching maths and the sciences can afford to charge more.

But gosh, 30 bucks to talk about textual integrity for a whole hour. That's the life

delian

HSC
N/A
Yes!!, I just got a phone call from a parent that saw my ad on tutorfinder about doing tutoring this sunday for two year 11 students. Finally someone has given me a chance , now I just need to not screw up and show them that their trust is well placed : )
well done.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
They could just be new to tutoring and can't justify charging more until they've got a bit more of a proven record. I've been tutored across the price range when I was doing HSC ($20/hr up to $40/hr) and the $20/hr tutor was no better/worse than the others. Interestingly the two cheaper tutors I had (for english and maths) produced much bigger gains than my business studies tutor who charged a bit more- although maybe I was just better at business studies to begin wtih :)

1st in Business

HSC
not necessarily. could mean the tutor is trying to establish a price advantage. Best way is to test them out for yourself, because you will never know if you do not

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)