Does Media/Law double degree have good job prospests (1 Viewer)

Danoraptor

HSC
Uni Grad
I really enjoy media. I thought I would pair it with Law as I enjoy it and I think knowledge of communications/technology is good because the legal industry is becoming more technology focused. Does this sound good? Or should I pair Law with something like commerce.

Thanks guys!

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't know too much about Communications or Media, but Communications/Law is definitely a popular combined law degree.

If you enjoy media, then pursue it. In the long run, doing Media/Law is most likely going to be more worthwhile than Commerce/Law because you are actually interested in (or passionate about) the former.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
It will ultimately depend on what you want to do with your degree(s). Typically in law your second degree is oversighted anyway as they are looking for your particular talents as a law student and potential lawyer. At my firm, there's a mixture of Journalism/Law, Med Sci/Lawrence, Arts/Law and Comm/Law and it's similar in other firms. Arguably Commerce/Law is most employable, but that would be due to the fact that Commerce is a good generalist degree that offers qualification in an industry with more jobs than perhaps Media. In any event, Media would certainly be a good degree to combine with Law in light the influence technology is now having on law firm practices and in "the age of technology". This article might be of some interest to you: http://www.theguardian.com/law/2014/nov/26/careers-for-the-21st-century-law-student

Obviously if you wanted to work in the Commerce or Finance industry you should look to doing the Commerce/Law combination.

My biggest regret is doing a Business/Law degree instead of Communications or Arts/Law and probably would have swapped were it not for Economics. Don't do what people think might be more employable since you won't be if you don't even enjoy what you study.

Last edited:

Danoraptor

HSC
Uni Grad
It will ultimately depend on what you want to do with your degree(s). Typically in law your second degree is oversighted anyway as they are looking for your particular talents as a law student and potential lawyer. At my firm, there's a mixture of Journalism/Law, Med Sci/Lawrence, Arts/Law and Comm/Law and it's similar in other firms. Arguably Commerce/Law is most employable, but that would be due to the fact that Commerce is a good generalist degree that offers qualification in an industry with more jobs than perhaps Media. In any event, Media would certainly be a good degree to combine with Law in light the influence technology is now having on law firm practices and in "the age of technology". This article might be of some interest to you: http://www.theguardian.com/law/2014/nov/26/careers-for-the-21st-century-law-student

Obviously if you wanted to work in the Commerce or Finance industry you should look to doing the Commerce/Law combination.

My biggest regret is doing a Business/Law degree instead of Communications or Arts/Law and probably would have swapped were it not for Economics. Don't do what people think might be more employable since you won't be if you don't even enjoy what you study.
Thanks. Im doing the law side to be employable and the Media side because I enjoy it. But yeah, I wouldnt survive in commerce, not my thing.

enoilgam

HSC
It would be better to have Commerce, but a Law degree on it's own can open some doors in the Commerce field. Obviously areas like finance or accounting would be out, but Law is useful for quite a few commerce fields. There are a whole heap of fields within commerce that uni doesnt cover and a degree which offers premium soft skills like Law would definitely be in demand for them.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
It would be better to have Commerce, but a Law degree on it's own can open some doors in the Commerce field. Obviously areas like finance or accounting would be out, but Law is useful for quite a few commerce fields. There are a whole heap of fields within commerce that uni doesnt cover and a degree which offers premium soft skills like Law would definitely be in demand for them.
Not really, there's a reason why a quarter of the course load of postgraduate accounting qualifications are law units.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)