Does preference matter? (1 Viewer)

cormacshaw

HSC
N/A
If a Uni tells you "Hey if you move this up to first preference you'll get in for sure!" but you want to test the water for other unis but wouldn't mind the original uni's offer, can you still leave them at a different preference and still get their offer?

I assume they tell you to put it first so you're guaranteed for THAT uni, but if you're not necessarily set on that uni but wouldn't mind it, does it matter?

TL;DR - Does a uni know what preference you set your courses?

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
What ever your first pref is and if you meet the requirements, all other prefs are redundant. So make sure the course you want to actually do is at the very top

cormacshaw

HSC
N/A
I get that, but my question lies in the following scenario:

1. I get an email notifying that if I set first pref to a certain course I am guaranteed to get in.
2. I'd rather get into my true 1st pref, but I know my chances are low.

If I keep the preferences as they are, and assuming my first preferences deny me, will I still get that guaranteed entry even if I didn't set it to 1st preference?

I.e. does the uni know what preference you picked a course and can that influence you getting in?

D94

HSC
N/A
I get that, but my question lies in the following scenario:

1. I get an email notifying that if I set first pref to a certain course I am guaranteed to get in.
2. I'd rather get into my true 1st pref, but I know my chances are low.

If I keep the preferences as they are, and assuming my first preferences deny me, will I still get that guaranteed entry even if I didn't set it to 1st preference?

I.e. does the uni know what preference you picked a course and can that influence you getting in?
Universities will not know your preferences. They use a middleman, i.e. UAC (for NSW), to distribute offers. UAC looks at your preferences and start from your first preferences. If you meet the criteria for a specific university, you will get an offer. If not, they move to your next preference, and so on until you receive an offer or your preference list is exhausted.

What I suspect is happening (could be wrong) is that you will receive an offer in the 'early' rounds where if you put that preference as number 1, you will receive an offer. It's possible, but I'm not 100% sure, that UAC only looks at your first preference in the early rounds, and this is why that university has asked you to put it as your first preference.

If that is the case (i.e. this is for an early round offer), then you can still receive an offer for the early round, then change your preference list for the main round and late rounds. In most cases, it is best to put your desired preference as number 1.

Now, if this is not for the early round, then I can't see how putting that preference first would somehow separate you from all other candidates in the main round. It makes no sense, unless this is a really niche area that requires say a portfolio.

So, the question is, is this for an early round offer?

cormacshaw

HSC
N/A
Yes this is for the early rounds.

The Uni I'm wondering about is UWS which promised me early offer if I was to set the course to #1.

Did some digging and it appears that UTS says "if it's not one then you're still guaranteed as long as the prefs above do not offer." Which is fair enough.

So if what you're saying is that the unis don't know the preferences, and a middleman handles everything, then the way it works for UTS would be similar for other unis correct?

Secondary question: Can I accept the UWS offer, change my prefs and still be up for other rounds?

D94

HSC
N/A
So if what you're saying is that the unis don't know the preferences, and a middleman handles everything, then the way it works for UTS would be similar for other unis correct?

Secondary question: Can I accept the UWS offer, change my prefs and still be up for other rounds?
Well if those higher preferences don't have early round offers, then you can simply put that UWS offer first for the early round then change your order for the main round. Note that the great majority of offers are given in the main round.

photastic

HSC
Well if those higher preferences don't have early round offers, then you can simply put that UWS offer first for the early round then change your order for the main round. Note that the great majority of offers are given in the main round.
Lol, if you place UWS first, you get an iPad on the 22nd December. Does that mean once I pick up the iPad, I can change preferences for the main rounds? :p

cormacshaw

HSC
N/A
Lol, if you place UWS first, you get an iPad on the 22nd December. Does that mean once I pick up the iPad, I can change preferences for the main rounds? :p
Even earlier for some (4 Dec for my round), but alas I'm pretty sure that's not how that works :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)