Does the uni really matter? (1 Viewer)

Stix06

HSC
OK I was wondering does it really matter which uni u go to? I want to do bachelor of communication majoring in journalism. In all the Sydney unis the UAI is 90% (average) I live 1 hour by train from Sydney. UWS however has a UAI of 70% and it is 20 mins away from me. Would I be putting my self to a disadvantage going to UWS or not???

H

housemouse

IMO ,yes. And the uai is not a percentage. It is a rank.

turtleface

HSC
I agree.

Degree quality wise = no difference
Perception of quality of degree = huge differences between institutions

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
No matter what the uni you shall come out on the same degree, the same bit of paper although of course as I am sure current uni students will agree like schools the quality of the uni can vary.

Bookie

Banned
HSC
I had a massive talk with my careers adviser last week, as I want to do journalism at Usyd (uai 98.05). He gave me a whole lecture on howcareers are hard to come by and what not. But he told me if I wanted a really good chance I should do UWS journalism. For a few reasons

1) UWS runs TVS, channel 31, and as a result you get hands on industry experience, which will be an awesome bonus for future jobs
2) its easier to access from where i live
3) it [journo degree] is managed by ABC and CSU graduates
4) a uai of 70 is pretty much a walk in

Stix06

HSC
awesome. thanks heaps guys and that is heaps interesting about UWS. I did speak to an ex journo and she said aim for UTS however the courses have changed since she studied for journalism. I will check out what each course offers.

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
Heh, reminds me of this article I read yesterday in that magazine Time (South Pacific issue), "Who Needs Harvard?" :p

a8o

HSC
The best students will likely go to Sydney, however, so if you're any good you'll get some great marks at UWS (bell curve) which will more than likely offset the reputation benefits of USYD.

Mel_b

HSC
The impression that I get from talking to people about this is that UTS is actually more highly regarded than Sydney, because at UTS it is a specific journalism degree, where Sydney is the more broad 'media and communications'.

Apparently UTS students are well in with the ABC, partly because it's across the road. Sydney does have the advantage of the 4 year degree letting you do the double major, whereas with UTS if you want an additonal area of knowledge (always helpful) you need to do a double.

sophie_dybs

Elite!
HSC
hey guys

dont know if this will help

my brother is doing a sports journalism dgree at CSU Bathurst and he loves it...

because of the uni he goes to he has been given so many options:
- Works at radio station
- works at ABC rdio nexcastle when he is home
- internship at SKY news ( only offer it to CSU students)
- ten news work experience sydney (only offer to CSU students)

and theres heaps more and hes only in his second year...

if he had gone to newcastle he woldnt have the same opportunities, however this is not because of quality- but because of repuatation

phrred

HSC
Mel_b said:
The impression that I get from talking to people about this is that UTS is actually more highly regarded than Sydney, because at UTS it is a specific journalism degree, where Sydney is the more broad 'media and communications'.

Apparently UTS students are well in with the ABC, partly because it's across the road. Sydney does have the advantage of the 4 year degree letting you do the double major, whereas with UTS if you want an additonal area of knowledge (always helpful) you need to do a double.
Ill agree with that. USYD has a better reputation as a whole but UTS communications rips USYD apart. CSU is very good too

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)