Does the workload decrease later in the degree? (1 Viewer)

eating

Wannabe COMP god
HSC
Current courses: COMP1511 (Intro to Programming), MATH1081 (Discrete), MATH1131 (Math 1A) and PSYC1001 (Psychology, WEB course)

At the moment, I have 19 hours a week of lectures, tuts and labs, plus 3 hours of web-lectures, a maths online tut, and various "do at your own pace" assessments. Add in work and sleep, and the hours add up.
(Yes, I know there is always someone who has it worse, but that is not an answer to my question)

Will this most likely be my most intense semester in my CompSci degree? I know university is not supposed to be a walk in the park, but I still want to be able to pursue extracurricular activities and/or have a life. How does the workload change as you take up more COMP courses?

(In case it is relevant, I plan on taking the only one more maths course for the rest of my degree (MATH1231) and one more GenEd. The rest will be COMP)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Current courses: COMP1511 (Intro to Programming), MATH1081 (Discrete), MATH1131 (Math 1A) and PSYC1001 (Psychology, WEB course)

At the moment, I have 19 hours a week of lectures, tuts and labs, plus 3 hours of web-lectures, a maths online tut, and various "do at your own pace" assessments. Add in work and sleep, and the hours add up.

(Yes, I know there is always someone who has it worse, but that is not an answer to my question)

Will this most likely be my most intense semester in my CompSci degree? I know university is not supposed to be a walk in the park, but I still want to be able to pursue extracurricular activities and/or have a life. How does the workload change as you take up more COMP courses?

(In case it is relevant, I plan on taking the only one more maths course for the rest of my degree (MATH1231) and one more GenEd. The rest will be COMP)
You had 5 days of school last year, at 6 hours each. You have less classwork now

what's the problem exactly? It's clearly time management skills

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
You had 5 days of school last year, at 6 hours each. You have less classwork now

Can't compare school hours to uni hours.

There's a difference between spoon feeding and getting a funnel and shoving it down someone's throat then pouring everything in.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

eating

Wannabe COMP god
HSC

Good point. I only did 10 units in high school and had hour-and-a-half of breaks, but that still makes the uni timesheet equal-or-less-than high school like you said. I suppose the travel and large timetable gaps just make it feel like more.

Either way, I still want to know how the workload changes throughout the course. I might need to cut down on work hours (not ideal) or start skipping a couple of less-important lectures if this keeps up after the first semester.

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC

I found first year to be the hardest year by a mile. You dictate how difficult your next years will be with your course selection. If you want an easy sem, pick easy courses etc.

I believe the consensus is 4 comp courses is too much workload (assuming you don't pick all the piss easy ones) and should stick to 2-3

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

eating

Wannabe COMP god
HSC
There's a difference between spoon feeding and getting a funnel and shoving it down someone's throat then pouring everything in.
Definitely. Even 4 units of maths went at half the pace of one maths course in Uni, I reckon. The school hours include revision and study.

I found first year to be the hardest year by a mile. You dictate how difficult your next years will be with your course selection. If you want an easy sem, pick easy courses etc.

I believe the consensus is 4 comp courses is too much workload (assuming you don't pick all the piss easy ones) and should stick to 2-3
Thanks for the reply. For whatever reason, I didn't realise that you get control of how difficult your degree is once you get past the core subjects, so thanks for pointing that out. I think I'll see how hard 3*COMP and a MATH hit me next semester, and then I'll probably find some electives so that I don't have 4*COMP courses for the rest of my degree. Either that, or I'll ask around to see which interesting electives are easier and use them as filler.

dust3

HSC
Uni Grad
PSYC1001 is ez, the mid and final exams are pretty much a port of the lecture and tute slides. If you can remember that, you'll have no problem with the exams. For SONA, you can do those extra hours to obtain 4 extra points which is by far the easiest free points you can ever get in uni.

Flop21

HSC
It's probably the math that is making the workload seem intense. Later on you'll do mainly COMP courses which have hardly any hours. So yeah it'll get easier I think.

turntaker

HSC
It's probably the math that is making the workload seem intense. Later on you'll do mainly COMP courses which have hardly any hours. So yeah it'll get easier I think.
Yeah i hate how the content in maths too much.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)