does ur school rank really affect ur mark? (1 Viewer)

dp624

HSC
I'm not completely sure when they started offering the course so yeah.
i think this year we're teaching Earth and Env sciences

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
I should've added that 2 people from Ruse got band E4 in History Extension in 2003 and 4 people got band E4 in 2002...

dp624

HSC
lol ok then. ruse fail.
but we have a stranglehold on the sciences (but maybe not phys this year) and maths i presume =DDD
i didnt do humanities so i'll try to pretend this news doesnt affect me =P

Last edited:

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Haha, History Extension is the only thing the rest of us can hold onto as a small victory LOL :p

- L -

HSC
suzlee said:
YOUR theory has a BIG FLAW. What do you mean the top schools WOULD be public and selective schools? Selective schools dominate the top spots.

What you said doesn't actually explain why digimonstudent's theory has a big flaw anyway. He's saying that the BOS or other influential institutes are purposely restricting high marks being given to LOWER RANKED schools in relation to higher ones, not PRIVATE schools in relation to public ones.

I was talking about the top 100 schools in the state not the top 7
basically 70 %+ of the top 100 are private schools do you see any NON SELECTIVE PUBLIC SCHOOLS IN THE top 30 ?? NO

If Digimons students theory was true then BOS would be purposely restricting high marks given to PRIVATE schools in RELATION to PUBLIC and especially SELECTIVE schools to make the public education system look better and they would do so under political pressure. And they have changed stuff like the marking criteria of the module b english advance syllabus because of such influences

dp624

HSC
lol maybe its just cos non-selective public schools are, on a GENERAL basis, less motivated. Also, a lot of 'smart' people go to either private or selective schools.

lionking1191

HSC
- L - said:
I was talking about the top 100 schools in the state not the top 7
basically 70 %+ of the top 100 are private schools do you see any NON SELECTIVE PUBLIC SCHOOLS IN THE top 30 ?? NO

If Digimons students theory was true then BOS would be purposely restricting high marks given to PRIVATE schools in RELATION to PUBLIC and especially SELECTIVE schools to make the public education system look better and they would do so under political pressure. And they have changed stuff like the marking criteria of the module b english advance syllabus because of such influences
clarify + evidence?

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
Re: This Thread Is Supposed To Be Dead So Do Not Click It!

now i know what all of u r gonna say: that u can still get a good mark even if u r at a low ranked school but im beginning to doubt this theory. u see im the top student at my school which is currently ranked 657. i studies heaps for the SC n was getting 95+ in almost all of my internal exams. somehow i only managed to get low band 6s n mid band 5s in the SC even though it was way easier thenany of my internal tests. i practised all the past papers n got like 97+ in each of them. the top student in yr 12 followed the same study routine as me. she went hard out n practised all the online papers. we started studing at like the beginning of the year so we didnt cram anything. somehow the top yr 12 girl only managed to get like low band 5s in all of her externals even thoguh she was getting high band 6s in all her externals. her uai estimate was 98 but her actual uai was just 90. now this is absolutely ridiculous. i remmebah that she got 98 in her bio trial but got about 81 for her hsc. n i remmebah that i got 99 in my internal for math but only got bout 91 for the SC. I'M ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN THAT THESE WERE N'T ARE MARKS! my suspicions r this: the board of studies is evil...

i believe that they scaled mine and the yr 12 girls marks down cause they intend to keep our school dumb. in 2007 we got all like the best SC n HSC results eva. there were like heaps of band 6 in math/science etc. during the middle of the year our head teacher for math left n he was replaced by one of the staff members. he was a great head teacher n it was largely due to him that our schpool achieved high band 6s in math. but at the end of the year the BOS wanted to approve him to see if he were an apt head teacher so he had to go to some interview. all the math teachers thoguht he was gonna be approved but he wasnt for some unkown reason n the BOS transferred him to another school n replaced him with the WORST head teacher in the world. this lady's dumb n doesn't have a clue of what shes doing. she doesnt have a clue of how to teach n always gets the answers wrong. she vever blames anything on herself but always blames it on the students n the staff. n this dumb ass is absolutely aoyal to the BOS. once i asked her a 3 unit math question when i was in yr 10n she went the BOS doesnt permit teachers to teach yr 11 stuff in yr 10. I SWEAR ITS NO WONDER Y THE BOS PICKED HER! IF ANY1S GONNA BRING MY SCHOOL DOWN ITS HER! she doesnt like any of the smart kids n only likes the dumb kids. she tells kids who got like 40 in math to do 3 unit.we've gotten the worst eva hsc results cause of her. my school dropped from 580 to 657.

i think the BOS wants the schools to stay in about the same position every year. some of u might say hey but my school went from 200 to 70 but i think the BOS does that cause they want to avoid suspicion from any of the schools. i mean the BOS always favour the top schools. i reckon they like usually scale the bottom school's mark down cause they intend to keep them dumb. sometimes they prob dont do thatto stop there propoganda from looking fishy.

so what do u guys think of my theory?
Dude, just give it some time and I'm sure even you'll admit by the end of the holidays that your theory was absolutely ludicrous.

sxcmathschick

HSC
I believe it depends on where your school is located. south west sydney students (Elizabeth Mac, Mt Annan, ambarvale, etc) hardly anyone actually gets into uni because of the low UAI's. go to Ryde, everyone gets 80's UAI for doing nothing. Its totally school and area ranking. why else would a girl down the road get 80's in her marks but 50 UAI (I'm dead serious)

dp624

HSC
I believe it depends on where your school is located. south west sydney students (Elizabeth Mac, Mt Annan, ambarvale, etc) hardly anyone actually gets into uni because of the low UAI's. go to Ryde, everyone gets 80's UAI for doing nothing. Its totally school and area ranking. why else would a girl down the road get 80's in her marks but 50 UAI (I'm dead serious)
not true, the HSC is quite a fair process, location doesn't affect it

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
i can see why you made it into UWS and not UNSW.

melissaLOL

HSC
i understand all the theory behind uai calculation / scaling etc and it all sounds fair on paper, but can you consider the possibility that a marker sitting at a table on a marking day at a marking centre, sees the stack of ruse papers or whatever and will probably be prejudiced favourably towards the stack?

vses when he / she gets to granville boys' stack (lol)

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
i understand all the theory behind uai calculation / scaling etc and it all sounds fair on paper, but can you consider the possibility that a marker sitting at a table on a marking day at a marking centre, sees the stack of ruse papers or whatever and will probably be prejudiced favourably towards the stack?

get a clue, the teachers don't know what school or student they're marking from.

you do not understand the theory at all.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

I am a marker and I can assure you that we don't know what school the papers we are marking are from.

All we get is the booklets on which the students have written the centre number and their student number. There are over 1000 centres so we would have to have excellent memories to know all 1000+ centres.

Care is also taken to ensure that we don't get to mark our own school.

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
I am a marker and I can assure you that we don't know what school the papers we are marking are from.

All we get is the booklets on which the students have written the centre number and their student number. There are over 1000 centres so we would have to have excellent memories to know all 1000+ centres.

Care is also taken to ensure that we don't get to mark our own school.
My chemistry head teacher is a marker as well and she says you can tell what type of school when their marking becuase often the good schools will have a lot of right answers whereas if its the opposite, only a few lines are written in the paper and maybe a penis gets drawn lol

lou071

HSC
N/A
according to my teacher, the school rank does not matter significantly.

Bacchus

HSC
according to my teacher, the school rank does not matter significantly.
It does not matter at all. Only that matters are YOUR RANK at school and the difference in marks between each rank.

lou071

HSC
N/A
It does not matter at all. Only that matters are YOUR RANK at school and the difference in marks between each rank.
yeah, i also think it does not matter at all but that was from my teacher.:)

RocKetBoy

HSC
theoretically, school ranking does not affect you uai.
however psychologically it will. What i am trying to say is that someone in JR will be in a better position to gain a higher uai because of their environment; they have friends which they compete with, and asian parents (even the non-asian JR parents are affected by this >>>very contagious in selective schools)...>.> the pressure present in those high ranked selective schools are not present in shit schools. Without the motivation, you cannot succeed =(

thats why asian parents want you to make smart friends...so that you can be like other asians...and then beat them. o.0

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)