Does WHERE you get your degree from really matter? (1 Viewer)

Lina3

HSC
I've seen this debate a lot in light of the commencement of University and am really curious about what you guys on BoS think.

Since more people are entering university than ever before (at least in the history of the Western culture anyway), do graduates from a Go8 have an better chance of getting employed in today's competitive job market? Or does the fact that a bachelor's degree is now the minimum requirement for most jobs that didn't expect them in the past mean just having a degree is what truly matters?

Obviously, it is the experience, achievements and qualities of a perspective employee that are given more weight when it comes to deciding whether or not they get the job. However, to what extent is the University they attended used as a distinguishing feature between applicants of a similar calibre?

Last edited:

TheGreatest99.95

Premium Member
HSC
In short, yes. If there are two graduates to choose from, one from UWS and one from USYD and they have the similar WAM and extra curriculars, the USYD student would most likely get chosen. Must be noted though, that it depends what one is trying to get into. Business it would matter, medicine no. In the end, if you get the opportunity to go to a good uni take it; it can only better your chances

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
With so many people having degrees and it being a minimum requirement, it is exactly that - a minimum requirement. A degree alone won't get you a job, there's occasional niche fields where that does happen but I'm not sure about the longevity of that.

In some fields university might matter considerably (i.e. law) but majority of the time it might only play a small part (or none) in the selection process. Some employers or people are just biased towards certain unis - doesn't even have to be a Go8. If after at least 3 years the only distinguishing factor you have over other applicants is the university you went to, then you will have problems.

Lina3

HSC
more so than ever before
Nah it doesn't matter, just go to the shittest uni possible, you'll be fine
Law matters. Top firms would likely hire graduates from the leading unis.
In short, yes. If there are two graduates to choose from, one from UWS and one from USYD and they have the similar WAM and extra curriculars, the USYD student would most likely get chosen. Must be noted though, that it depends what one is trying to get into. Business it would matter, medicine no. In the end, if you get the opportunity to go to a good uni take it; it can only better your chances
With so many people having degrees and it being a minimum requirement, it is exactly that - a minimum requirement. A degree alone won't get you a job, there's occasional niche fields where that does happen but I'm not sure about the longevity of that.

In some fields university might matter considerably (i.e. law) but majority of the time it might only play a small part (or none) in the selection process. Some employers or people are just biased towards certain unis - doesn't even have to be a Go8. If after at least 3 years the only distinguishing factor you have over other applicants is the university you went to, then you will have problems.
So in short...

What just getting a University degree (regardless of place) guarantees:
The Middle Ages: You were more respected and more likely to be promoted than the other monks in your monestary.
1600-1960: You got a higher paying job because you were more educated than the majority of the population.
1970-Present: Nothing.

Last edited:

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
1970? Fair bit later than that, but it all depends on the economic climate.

It's not hard to graduate from the average uni course so no one should expect to be competitive with a mindset like "I have a bachelor of commerce and scraped a credit average, gimme jobs. No experience or extra curriculars but don't doubt the New South!~~~"

enoilgam

HSC
This is a contentious issue and as I'm not an industry expert by any means, so I am only going to comment on what I have observed. Applying for jobs, I havent encountered any which have as a criteria "Must be a a graduate of X,Y and Z university" or anything related to where you went (in contrast to the US, where many business outright say they only accept graduates from certain unis). Also, I've been to an assessment centre for the QBE graduate program (which had 900+ applicants) and university prestige didnt factor in from what I could see. Out of 19 people there, 12 were interstate. Of the remaining 7, there 2 were from UoN, 2 from ACU and one each from UTS, USyd and Notre Dame

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
So in short...

What just getting a University degree (regardless of place) guarantees:
The Middle Ages: You were more respected and more likely to be promoted than the other monks in your monestary.
1600-1960: You got a higher paying job because you were more educated than the majority of the population.
1970-Present: Nothing.
If you get a degree for an in demand profession like medicine or certain engineering disciplines you're almost guaranteed a job.

Darth_UNSW

HSC
This debate exists for a reason: it has some truth to it. Whilst it is by no means the only factor it's a big one.

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
Universities these days have become degree factories... IMO, no matter which uni you go to you are going to receive a terrible education and a piece of paper at the end of it... In short, it matters to some, not to most...

It's what you do outside of your studies that will really, really make a difference upon whether or not you get that dream job... volunteering, playing sport, your charisma, appearance (I'm talking about how you compose yourself and present yourself; not whether you have big boobies or rock hard abs), social media presence (hopefully a good presence, no drunk photos, etc), etc...

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Universities these days have become degree factories... IMO, no matter which uni you go to you are going to receive a terrible education and a piece of paper at the end of it... In short, it matters to some, not to most...

It's what you do outside of your studies that will really, really make a difference upon whether or not you get that dream job... volunteering, playing sport, your charisma, appearance, social media presence (hopefully a good presence, no drunk photos, etc), etc...
well sure, if you go to uws

hehehehehehehehe :p

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
trust me... one or two of your tutors/lecturers at UNSW are probably UWS educated (or have at some stage receive some education from UWS)

Another VERY, VERY!!!! Important thing... GET TO KNOW PEOPLE!!!!

people = opportunities!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)