Does your school affect your UAI? (1 Viewer)

melaniemelanie

HSC
I've heard mixed opinions on this, and was wondering if anyone could give me some info. I go to St Francis Xaviers Year 11-12 College which has the largest canditure sitting the HSC in the state (480 students), there are a good amount of students who are extremely bright who chose not to go to Merewether Selective so we'd stay in the catholic school system...but the people that are not so bright far outway these people.

I'm not exactly sure of my school's ranking, but it was somewhere around the 200-250 mark. Three of my cousins (also doing there hsc this year) at abbotsleigh, ravenswood and wenona in sydney told me your UAI scales better if you go to a private school? I don't know whether to believe it or not, it sounds quite unfair?

I'm doing English Adv, Maths 2U, Maths Ext.1, Economics, Drama, Studies of Religion 2U and would be happy with around 93-94ish. Will my school affect my UAI and its rank drag me down from achieving this? My current total hsc assesment mark and ranks at the moment are:

English (85%, 32/195), Maths 2U (93%, (10/110), Ext 1 Maths (86%, 5/51), Economics (90%, =2nd/21), Drama (90%, 8/49), Studies of Religion (91%, 14/120)

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
:)
It does but its less significant in a large group like yours.

You shouldn't be worrying T_T!
When you get to selecting courses (for uni) don't limit yourself to course at around 93-94 (Because it's likely your uai will be in the range of 95-100!) as long as you keep the consistency you have! GOOD LUCK!
:)

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
well, for your subjects at your school last year, there were this many band 6's...

Eng (Adv?)- 18
Maths 2- 16
Maths ext- 8
Economics- 0
Drama- 1
SOR (2?)- 10

So if your ranks stay the same AND your year-group (and you) are similar in ability to last-years, you might get marks something like this.

english adv- 85
maths- 93
ext 1- 93
economics- 86
drama- 80
SOR 2- 88

in which case you'd end up with about 93.25 (according to JUAIseek (04 cohort)).

But there are a number of factors that could mean you get better marks.

1. Your year-group might be better than last years in subjects like drama and economics.
2. You might be able to improve some of those rankings.

Anyway, I hope this may give you a general idea of what you might get and what you might want to improve etc.

melaniemelanie

HSC
Thanks for that! Yeah no offence to the drama and especially economics classes last year, but they didnt shape up too well. 3 people got 89 then it crashed from there. Teachers weren't impressed at all, and are relying on our year. We've got some definate freaky smart people, especially a boy in my eco and ext maths. who doesnt' seem to drop below at least 98% any test. lol. Our drama teacher told us last year the majority of the good actors couldn't write essays to save themselves, however this year we've got the actors that have brains as well, that makes a big difference right? Also, our eco teacher said the standard this year is much higher than last year, and if we continue to slave away he would expect the top 2 or 3 in the course to get a band 6, so hopefully, with continued work, we will do better than last year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)