• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Does your subject impact on your UAI results? (2 Viewers)

cs01001

HSC
Yeah, More importantly - Do the work! :)

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
risole91 said:
Marking standards between English Standard and English Advanced are the same.
It's because the majority of the English Standard candidature perform poorly, the median mark was 67 this year compared to 79 in English Advanced.
You must be in the top 2-3% in the whole state in Eng. Std. to get at least a Band 5 like me, Uncle Forbidden !
Then, the girls in English Standard will think you are a cool guy man !

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
markzada said:
Read part 5 of SoulSearcher's response (quoted from UAC).

You're wrong.
While there are differences in the raw marks that are needed to attain the same HSC exam mark in Standard and Advanced English (generally, a higher raw exam mark in Standard is needed to attain the same aligned HSC exam mark as you would get in Advanced), it is the raw marks themselves that are used in the scaling process, and thus Standard and Advanced English scales the same, since the same raw exam mark in Standard or Advanced English scales to the same scaled mark. Aligned HSC exam marks are not used in the scaling process at all.

Steth0scope

HSC
N/A
Yea but he was saying getting a 70 as ur HSC mark for Standard and English equates to the same scaled mark. NO IT DOESNT!

EDIT: To get a 70 as your HSC Mark in Advanced would require a greater raw mark than standard. Therefore when they are scaled, since the raw marks are used, the advanced student would end up with a higher scaled aggregate than the standard?

Am i right?

Last edited:

SoulSearcher

HSC
markzada said:
EDIT: To get a 70 as your HSC Mark in Advanced would require a greater raw mark than standard. Therefore when they are scaled, since the raw marks are used, the advanced student would end up with a higher scaled aggregate than the standard?

Am i right?
Point 4 of the section I quoted states that:

The common scale so determined for the Board's HSC marks was slightly different from that established by statistical equating: the same raw HSC mark corresponded to different Board HSC marks for Standard and Advanced students, with Advanced students receiving the higher mark.
In other words, the same raw exam mark in Standard and Advanced English would align to different HSC exam marks, with Advanced students receiving a higher aligned mark than Standard English students. So a raw exam mark that would give an aligned 70 in Advanced would give a lower aligned HSC exam mark in Standard English.

Steth0scope

HSC
N/A
Which is exactly what I just said.

Even you are saying that a 70 aligned HSC mark in advanced and standard equates to two different scaled marks used in calculating the aggregate (since its raw marks that are used not aligned HSC).

SoulSearcher

HSC
markzada said:
Which is exactly what I just said.

Even you are saying that a 70 aligned HSC mark in advanced and standard equates to two different scaled marks used in calculating the aggregate (since its raw marks that are used not aligned HSC).
Not exactly what you said in that little section I quoted in my above post, what you said is actually the opposite of what actually happens with raw exam marks and aligned HSC marks for Standard and Advanced.

However, it is true that a 70 aligned HSC exam mark in Standard requires a different (and higher) raw exam mark than a 70 aligned HSC exam mark in Advanced, but the same raw mark in either Standard or Advanced scales to the same scaled mark, irrespective of what course you do.

Steth0scope

HSC
N/A
I never disagreed with that. I dont wanna seem bitchy.

The part you highlighted is not incorrect.

ALL i have been saying is that a 70 HSC mark in advanced and standard will not yield the same scaled marks (which is what Risole said).

EDIT: Look over my posts if u want :)

Thanks champ.

SoulSearcher

HSC
markzada said:
I never disagreed with that. I dont wanna seem bitchy.

The part you highlighted is not incorrect.

ALL i have been saying is that a 70 HSC mark in advanced and standard will not yield the same scaled marks (which is what Risole said).

EDIT: Look over my posts if u want :)

Thanks champ.
No, I was talking about the post before my previous post, post number 27 in this thread :p The part I quoted there should have Advanced and Standard English swapped, because it takes a higher raw exam mark in Standard to get the same aligned mark as in Advanced, that is all :)

Kujah

HSC
N/A
I'm guessing Fairfield region.

SoulSearcher

HSC
28FEB said:
SOULSEARCHER?? i was wondeirng wat area u tutor in??
South-west Sydney region, so Fairfield, Cabramatta, Liverpool, the surrounding suburbs around those areas, as well as further away if need be, I'm willing to travel. I'll post a thread up tomorrow on details about my tutoring service.

SoulSearcher

HSC
the-derivative said:
Hey Gab - are you gonna tutor Physics or Cosmology or any of your other subjects?
I will tutor in Physics, but only as a last resort. And when I mean last, I really do mean it, there are much more qualified physics tutors out there and I'd be willing to recommend a few of them myself before taking it on myself.

As for Cosmology, well I do believe the only way those students are going to learn anything from it and get the full experience they can from it is by doing the work themselves :uhhuh: I will answer questions on difficult points, act as a guide through the major work, but I won't explicitly tutor anyone in it.

Meh, I'll post a thread tomorrow about it in the relevant subforum, people can leave all those questions till then or send a PM if they have any queries :)

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
Er...people can still do both 2u and 4u tests? I think they are at the same time!...Hang on, is that why there is normally an extra 2u test held 2 or 3 weeks after the first one?

jaaaaay

HSC
Undermyskin said:
Er...people can still do both 2u and 4u tests? I think they are at the same time!...Hang on, is that why there is normally an extra 2u test held 2 or 3 weeks after the first one?
lol, if u do 4u maths, you don't do the 2u exam.

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
Because I look at Soulsearcher's sig and he proves the opposite!

Are you sure? 'cuz I think I saw a second HSC 2u test in the timetable last year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)