Doesn't it suck being the last year doing journeys? (1 Viewer)

xinxin89

HSC
I find it really difficult, especially when it comes to finding related material. Meh just about every text u find that can possibly be linked to whichever journey ur doing has already been used by the years b4, there's nothing new to write about them. I got given this whole booklet of past essays that scored band 6s, read all of them, helps but is also bad in that now i cant come up with anything new when i looked at the texts my self >.<

so makes me wonder, doesn't the markers become sick of marking 60000+ english papers that use the same texts and everybody picks on the same techniques with similar explanations etc? they say originiality scores marks, but srsly, the module just makes it hard for u to be original >.<

G

gaoOO

xinxin89 said:
so makes me wonder, doesn't the markers become sick of marking 60000+ english papers that use the same texts and everybody picks on the same techniques with similar explanations etc? they say originiality scores marks, but srsly, the module just makes it hard for u to be original >.<
i don't think it's so bad actually. I mean, the ext 1 markers for Individual and Society have it much worse. Everyone uses basically the same texts, and what more can you say except "look this is the individual vs the society!"

our teacher told us that she used to read heaps of "i am a woman in the 19th century who wants to marry for love no money" stories in the creative section. At least with journeys there's more room for creativity.

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
i think the 08ers are doing Journeys as well.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
If anything, it should be easier for you to source out material if you are the last to do journeys.

I'd say it was hardest for people who had to be the first to do journeys.

-pari-

HSC
N/A
no ...

it would suck being the first year to do the new topic though :)

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
I heard that they were atleast keeping journeys till 2008 (not taking 'change' as a precedent)

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
xinxin89 said:
think they're doing"power" next year? not sure
Then that would mean modules change.

In Advanced English, there's a Powerplay module.

alby

cool duckie
HSC
ur_inner_child said:
If anything, it should be easier for you to source out material if you are the last to do journeys.

I'd say it was hardest for people who had to be the first to do journeys.
i remember having teachers basically complaining because they didnt have any past papers to work from/give us and had to write their own.
that must be why i stuffed english up so much (even with a tutor and standard) :(

Sprinkles~

splashing in puddles
HSC
xinxin89 said:
I find it really difficult, especially when it comes to finding related material. Meh just about every text u find that can possibly be linked to whichever journey ur doing has already been used by the years b4, there's nothing new to write about them. I got given this whole booklet of past essays that scored band 6s, read all of them, helps but is also bad in that now i cant come up with anything new when i looked at the texts my self >.<

I would have thought it would be so much easier doing a topic that other years have done previously... you have all their resources, pastpapers and sample essays to work from! Imagine not having anything to guide you :eek:

Why can't you use a text that other years have used before hand? I read through the resources on here and past hsc responces to help me find support pieces. There's no rule that ways that you can't, otherwise it would be near impossible for you to find a text that hasn't been used by someone before :p

You're allowed to use past essays as a guide to form your own ideas, that's basically what everyone else does. As long as you don't hand in something that is obviously plagiarised you'll be fine. Actually, I was told by teachers that when it comes time for exams it's a good idea to go through past essays that got good marks and pick out bits and pieces that you can use - you're allowed to do so in tests because you've memorised the work.

Don't stress too much about "originality", because there's only so many ways a text can be analysed. I feel sorry for 2009ers who will have a whole new topic to work with! Personally I loved doing journeys, there's so much to write about :D

eastenders

HSC
Yes, i hate journeys I can not find a related multimedia text (which can not be a film).

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
Originally i was told that happiness would be the new area of study for 2008.

However there has been a recent development within the ETA and at least for the moment, 2007 and 2008 will still be journeys.

They may even replace happiness with another focus as further developments occur in the next two years.

Very hyperbolic thread title but there's still much left for distinctive journeys related text selection and analysis. You'd have to look at less contemporary examples say pre dating the 19th century and even foreign language translated texts particularly latin, french and german as many texts in the literary canon that are not english would fit under these.

Last edited:

littlejohn21321

HSC
2008 is doing journeys, we just dont use the stimulis booklet for our texts...that ended 2007:) . huh, last year doing journeys...cool

Crazymunch

HSC
Yeah, 2008 are the last year doing Journeys, It's good as we can use all the years of notes backlogged here and at our schools to help us with it.

munchiecrunchie

HSC
mmm, i dont realli think it sucks. in fact, i reckon we're pretty lucky. we've got all these resources in the library and all the past HSC journies papers to practise with. i realli dont think originality is a huge problem, all you have to do is meet marking criteria and you can ace it. yr 12 2009 are gonna be stuck... i hear they're going to be studying "belonging" from some credible sources.

Reki.Poo

HSC
It doesn't suck being last, but what does suck is being first doing whatever is the next topic. English topics are all pretty strange (for the lack of a better non-insulting word). Journeys is not only broad, but what the hell, I can't tell the line between imaginary and inner journey; they both involve being insane. :mad1:

Nivi7

HSC
lol..."credible sources"....apparently they're gonna analyse wikipedia and other bizarre stuff....life's gonna suck 4 them:p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)