Doing badly in 3 unit Maths? (1 Viewer)

Skaz

HSC
Yet another post about dropping Maths Ext1 but can anyone tell what they think of an average mark of the first 3 year 12 assesments as 58% in maths ext 1 and and average of 70% in 2 unit.
I do:
SDD
English Adv.
Maths Ext 1
Physics
History ext. + History 2u. modern
My ranking is about in the middle of 2 classes. I know i have basicaly finished the 3 unit course but i don't believe i have a solid grasp of the concepts. If i dropped i would have a better teacher and could improve 2 unit but when looking at the SAM calculator it showed that Maths extension is beniefitial even on low marks to getting a UAI over 80. In 2005 my school ranked 374. I have 12 units. To the point, my question is would the mark range of 55 - 65 % for 3 unit Maths push up the UAI more than say a improvement in 2 unit by 10 - 15% if i'm not comfortable with 3 unit?

-Narty-

HSC
well i am currently in the same "phase" as you...see..i'm not sure whether i should drop 3U or not. i also tried using SAM, but i'm not sure whether it is accurate or anywhere close to accurate (however i am leaning more towards the accurate side!)
i have similar thoughts to yours too...if i drop 3U i would increase my marks for 2U as i will be spending more time on it. BUT, when i talked to my friends about the issue, i realised that i would need 3U as a prerequisite! so yehh....i am CONFUSED too!
sorry i couldnt help...just thought i'd let u know that you're not the only one in this situation! :D
oh..and i think im just going to keep 3U and try HEAPS harder!
goodluck!:)

rama_v

HSC
An average of 58% is not bad for 3 unit at this stage. If you can put in more work, from now till the end of the year, consistently, then theres no reason why you can't get the top band in extension 1. For example, last year I estimated I got 70/84 in the HSC exam, and that was aligned to 47/50.

So you can imagine that you only need around 80% in teh final exam to get into the top band in extension 1 - which is not too difficult to do if you keep working hard. Maths is a skill that you continually develop with practise.

Skaz

HSC
Thanks for your response. Looking at the different University requirements there are not many that actualy have maths extension as a presequite. Maths 2 unit seems to be a subject they recommend in the subjects like enginnering or computer based courses whcih i am looking at. My teacher has said that is really up to myself to decide and that a bridging courses can be more effective than the HSC, but the deliemar is if Maths Ext is worth the time in improving a low mark if it will not reward the end UAI in a dramatic way. What I feel is that i should drop it unless in other peoples experience they have found that Maths Ext has given them a better result in the end and did not consume soo much time.

garry21

HSC
yes....!!!!!!!!!! i got 29% in my term 1 paper...but there were people who did even worse! it's sooo hard but it's so interesting...i'm not sure if i should drop it yet. =[

Jono_2007

My fingers are slowly slipping off a cliff!....HEL
HSC
Skaz said:
Thanks for your response. Looking at the different University requirements there are not many that actualy have maths extension as a presequite. Maths 2 unit seems to be a subject they recommend in the subjects like enginnering or computer based courses whcih i am looking at. My teacher has said that is really up to myself to decide and that a bridging courses can be more effective than the HSC, but the deliemar is if Maths Ext is worth the time in improving a low mark if it will not reward the end UAI in a dramatic way. What I feel is that i should drop it unless in other peoples experience they have found that Maths Ext has given them a better result in the end and did not consume soo much time.
iF YOU ARE CONSIDERING DOING ENGINEERING AT UNI then idealy it would be paramount to continuing with maths ext. 1.

AmenoKitarou

HSC
I'm exactly the same as P dilemma~ I got 49%....my teacher implies to the HWOLE CLASS that i drop 3 unit...every lessons....But no i'm not dropping. Because I really like the course~

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
If you want to do engineering, you really, really, really should have 3 unit Maths, and you should work hard to brush it up. Engineering in particular will have a lot of Maths and Physics, though 3 unit isn't so much of a necessity for IT alone.

Since you've finished the course now, you should use your Maths lessons from now on in as revision time. Don't think of things as there only for the marks. In this case, what you learn in 3 unit will continue on for Engineering.

I_F

melaniemelanie

HSC
Look at your rank more than your actual mark, are you in a big school or a small school? Does it do really well or not that great? This is because many schools have different skill levels in their test papers. I changed schools in Year 11 and was no lower than second there, at my new school im averaging 75% in 3u 5/50...yet kids at my old school doing 3u that i was always 15-20% ahead of have the same accumulated mark in regards to there school results..and the girl i was always vying with the top spot for (prob used to beat me on average by no more than 5%) has an accumulated mark of 95%. This is just an example, but when practising there past papers as well for exams which i stinge off friends, they're shit easy compared to mine.

58% is a relatively good mark in extension at the moment, i wouldn't be too worried about dropping, but we've always been told its more important to focus on 2u...rather than putting all your energy into 3u and losing sight of 2u. this is mainly because you want to knock the socks of 2u because it counts for 2 units worth...and still scales very well...and its common that people who put most of there energy into 3u..theyre 2u mark begins to plummit, and then sooner or later there 3unit drops as well so youve just got average marks.

My tutor always says if your 3u you should be getting 80-85+ in 2u and then they'll start worrying about 3u...but this is just an example...your school might have crazy hard tests or something! :D

whatever you decide to do, its a 50-50 decision, but while your deciding make sure you keep focusing on 2u and get that 80+ cos then youll be preparing yourslef for a nice 3u mark if you master 2u...with less stress youve screwed up the 2u. :)

Hope all goes well!

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
heard off my tutor .. that getting above 75's in 3u in your trial is good.

i got 73% for my 1st 3u test.
then i got 51% for my half yearly... shocking yeah i know ... but im planning on pulling that mark up to the 70's and 80's hopefully.

and as for 2u. i got 73% for my half yearly and 90% for my 1st term test.
silly mistakes mostly. =/

coming 2nd in both 2u and 3u.. and im not dropping.

defeat is but only a temporary state. giving up is what makes it permanent

kb1509

NO COMPROMISE
HSC
you guys sound good compared to me !
haha.. my first test.. i got abt.. 30%.. that was sh*t ass !
and then.. my 2nd test.. i got like... 56%
i know the work.. i just go really badly in tests..
LUCKILY.. those tests didnt count though..
however.. i just finished my half-yearly.. we'll see the results.. i am sooooo going to fail! =(

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
At my school, the class doing 3 unit over 2 years has an average of 24% for their tests. The accelerated students on the other hand have done beter, with marks from 50% to 79% and one guy ranked second out of the school in extension 1 maths.

Lex818

HSC
I'm bummed out so badly in my half years in ext 1...

The main problem for me is remembering ALL the formulas... I nail the 2u test ezi and have been averaging in the high 80s and i know i can get 90+

BUT ITS THOSE DAMN EXT 1 FORMULAS!!! :(

Plus, at this stage... im aware that im gonna get some more... siiiigh

P.S. and yes, apparently getting above 75% is in the top few. As u can see, most ppl aint going 2 well and staying around the 70-80 range will boost ur marks ALOT

kekeheaven

HSC
my first test i got was 30 percent my half yearly was 30 percent, and soon i have a polynomial test, and yet i only seem to know 30 percent of whats going on that = 30% AGAIN!!!

ivegottheskill

HSC
I didnt drop it, even though I was around the 50-60% mark. I got 35/50 in HSC (2004), but I feel 3-unit really helped my 2-unit skills and mark

Besides that, maths is one of the biggest courses in any uni, and needed if you're intending to do high school teaching, a science degree or engineering of any kind.

3-unit is a general minimum of most uni maths courses (some only need 2 unit, but I found 3-unit very handy to have)

cjwrighty

Look out UOW here I come!
HSC
ivegottheskill said:
I feel 3-unit really helped my 2-unit skills and mark
I have the same feeling, i am currently doing the Extension Maths Course, and doing Ok i suppose, but i have found doing the Extension course has helped my 2 unit mark heaps. I have seem to be getting better and better marks, in the last 2 unit assesment i managed to get 85% some how :D

gamecw

HSC
hehe we had only like 10 people left for 3unit when we did the prelims xam lastyear.. and now we're left with 5..

i got 77% for the prelims exam, ranked 1/10, and i think second was 53%, the rest of them are below 50% :(

for hsc assessments, i got 100% for da 1st test, and 96% for the second test:) (lost 4% coz i didnt write the statement for n=k when i did induction)..

but our school's tests r really easy.. hope i can keep up the good marks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)