• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Doing BArts, choosing a 2nd major to complement history (1 Viewer)

miss_niss

Occasional Member
HSC
I want to do history but im having trouble choosing another major. Is english hard? I mean really challenging? What are the assesments like? Is there a lot of imaginative or creative tasks? I know I won't have a problem with the reading load, but is there any drama emphasis in the course.... I really hate that part of english.

I was also thinking of doing biological anthropology, but its really confusing choosing first year courses because you have to do archaeology or anthropology and then bio anth in the second year but I dont know if its what i really want to do and i dont want to still be undecided by my second year. and is bio anthro even a very good combo with history, i mean shouldnt i be doing archaeology or anthropology if i want to pursue a career in it?

UGhh I dont know im so undecided. I dont know what I want to do. I love history and i know i could always fall back on a teaching job if nothing else eventuated. But with archaeology and bio anthro i cant see a clear job future. and if it didnt work, what would i be left with?

i would really appreciate some wisdom from current students..

gemita

Raube Hohle convert
HSC
It's not. It's the typical 1st year history course, but I guess if you're going to do history you can't get away with knowing nothing about Rome, and we didn't do it for HSC...

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I'd advise you to look in the under-grad handbook, which you should have recieved on CD in yoir enrolement pack. This will tell you wheher you have to do drama in english.

On the other hand majors are flexible and changable, in fact they're not even really set until second year. So you can just choose courses that interest you and see whether you like them and where they take you.

Most importantly read the handbook.

miss_niss

Occasional Member
HSC
The handbook is really confusing. Especially for biological anthropology. I would have asked about it on PEA day, but of course, my enrolment pack came on PEA day, sitting in my mailbox while I had no idea what I even wanted to know.

But yeah I read the thing about english, and it sounds ok, but the first year stuff sounds so boring. i might just do the jane austen course for one of my others.

But anyway......Gemita your doing history, what are u doing for your other major?
And yeah Im choosing rome too. That was an easy choice, but im undecided over sem 2, british colonialism or the foundations of america. both sound really interesting. i love that colonial stuff.

I dunno. now im leaning away from the sciencey stuff like archaeology and just figuring ill go the whole hog and do as much hist as possible, maybe doing american studies or the classics. or gender etc.

the classics doesnt seem to offer a lot of choices though. i havent done the languages before.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)