Doing eco/legal without having done commerce in previous years? (1 Viewer)

saysesame

HSC
Do you think it's too risky to take economics or legal studies when I haven't done Commerce as an elective in Years 8, 9 and 10?
Anyone here who's in this situation? What's it been like for you?
Please help :) Thanks!

enoilgam

HSC
It shouldnt be a problem, only a small amount of content from commerce crosses over into economics and legal. Its a non-issue, many people do these subjects without having a commerce background.

marshmallow23

HSC
N/A
Nope. It is not risky at all.

I never did commerce and I do Legal Studies and Business Studies. I'm not sure exactly how Economics works out, but in Legal Studies and Business Studies, you'll learn the stuff anyways so you don't really need to have any background in Commerce. During the first few lessons in legal, I was like O_O because I didn't understand any of the terminology, but I'm sure your teacher will be helpful and you have many resources which can help, so learning the terminology will be a breeze ^__^ I know some people in my Legal Studies class who never did Commerce and are basically topping the class and beating the students who have done commerce. I think this girl who ranked 1st in Legal Studies never did commerce at all :O

You shouldn't have to worry about anything. Basically the only subjects you would need previous knowledge for would be maths and english (I think), other than that just choose subjects based on what you like. You'll learn what you need to learn in your Legal Studies/Economics class. :D

asadass

HSC
Uni Grad
They're completely new subjects, so don't stress at all.

madharris

HSC
N/A
All you need is an interest in the subjects and a good attitude :p
I'm told no commerce knowledge is needed, don't stress.

HSC
it's definitely not risky at all, commerce isn't assumed knowledge or anything. You learn eco and legal from scratch anyway, so don't worry.

Levity

HSC
A few kids in my Eco and Legal class didn't do Commerce and some of them are beating me!

Mdzabakly

HSC
Do you think it's too risky to take economics or legal studies when I haven't done Commerce as an elective in Years 8, 9 and 10?
pretty much like everyone says, its hardly significant at all, i didnt do commerce, and im at #1 atm , with 100% assesment so far.... ( XD since its only been 1 test and it was easy but still counts!!)

katharinetat

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey! Just would like to say that I did Commerce minor in year 9. How my school works is that we get a major that goes for 2 years, year 9 and 10, and a minor, one for year 9 and one for year 10. We focused more on business topics in year 9. If you did commerce major at school, you do the same thing as the minor class in year 9, and in year 10 you study law topics.

I do legal studies, and I'm currently doing very well! You do NOT need any previous knowledge to be able to do well in these subjects. I originally did economics as well but I didn't like the content of it so I dropped it. I've always had a passion for law though.

So all in all - NO you do not need to do commerce to be able to do well in legal or economics!

ClassOf2013

HSC
I did Commerce in Year 9 and Year 10, honestly, it doesn't matter. There is no "assumed knowledge" in either courses, and the content is quite different from Commerce.

EpikHigh

Arizona Tears
HSC
Do it if you want to, just because you didn't do commerce in years 9/10 doesn't mean you shouldn't. Very little of what you learn in commerce co-insides with Eco/Legal. You only just have a bit of a head start if you do commerce as an elective.

labousaleh

HSC
not that hard-
that being said eco is a real time consuming subject-be prepared

Timothy6340

HSC
no you dont have to worry i didn't do commerce as an elective in year 9 and 10 and i am comming first at my school and my friend is in the same vote and he is coming first in legal aswell.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)