Doing economics, business and legal. (1 Viewer)

alexwareham2

HSC
Ahahaha, my Economics teacher told my class that he did a Commerce/Law degree at ANU :O
(Probably did the uni economics course somewhere along the way too)
Back then, apparently there was an Extension Economics course? (not too sure if it's true but sounds really fascinating)
There was and we looked atba bit of it in my class over Year 11 and 12. It is freakingggg crazy hard. Like Economics now has a bit of it, but the Extension course was like first year Economics at Uni. Or a bit of it anyways.
I think they got rid of it as it was just too hard so not many people did it.

And OP Legal in Year 12 uses Economics a bit, as for one section you can write from three perspectives, one being Economic, or so I was told as I never actually did it. Also if you do workplace that overlaps aswell. And for Business I have been told that Business is like an easy Economics and people that do Economics and are good at it do amazing at Business.

13abie

HSC
Ive had a number of friends in all of those courses during the HSC. I also did economics myself. From what Ive heard, Business Studies is a joke. It's a straightforward, less sophisticated version of economics. The kid who topped our economics class walked into the business studies trial for fun, and topped it despite not doing business studies.
I personally found economics a mix, some of the conceptual/theoretical stuff concerning aggregate demand and the like is VERY interesting, but the rest of the subject is wrote learning and boring. You do not need any mathematical ability to succeed, we had a person come 4th in the state for economics with just 2unit maths (and even 2 unit maths is unnecessary).
Legal apparently is just as easy as business studies once you learn the concepts, but is much less self-explanitory.

I didn't really enjoy economics, nor did I put much work into it, and still achieved a good result. It scales well, and if you want a future in business or law, you should probably not do legal studies or business studies. We have about 7 kids doing combined law at Sydney and not one of them did legal or business studies.

Examine

same
HSC
Ive had a number of friends in all of those courses during the HSC. I also did economics myself. From what Ive heard, Business Studies is a joke. It's a straightforward, less sophisticated version of economics. The kid who topped our economics class walked into the business studies trial for fun, and topped it despite not doing business studies.
I personally found economics a mix, some of the conceptual/theoretical stuff concerning aggregate demand and the like is VERY interesting, but the rest of the subject is wrote learning and boring. You do not need any mathematical ability to succeed, we had a person come 4th in the state for economics with just 2unit maths (and even 2 unit maths is unnecessary).
Legal apparently is just as easy as business studies once you learn the concepts, but is much less self-explanitory.

I didn't really enjoy economics, nor did I put much work into it, and still achieved a good result. It scales well, and if you want a future in business or law, you should probably not do legal studies or business studies. We have about 7 kids doing combined law at Sydney and not one of them did legal or business studies.
I will admit that Business Studies is straightforward, though I would never say it's a joke. Kinda offensive to Business Studies enthusiasts like me :(

bladeys

HSC
N/A

LOL mate youre way off base here. Its incredibly hard to get 95+ for business studies. Its similar to the way its very hard to get 90+ in Standard English.

So yea act like a hotshot who did economics who thinks Business is a joke but mate what you think a joke is probably not a joke to others (Eg Examine), for instance I think your ATAR of 98.70 is a joke..

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
I will admit that Business Studies is straightforward, though I would never say it's a joke. Kinda offensive to Business Studies enthusiasts like me :(
Agreed 100% Business Studies is so useful. You learn about the world around you in terms of businesses! Deserves much better scaling!

powlmao

Banned
HSC
For legal, Eco and business you really only need to know how to use a calculator.

The maths is piss easy. The hardest thing is remembering the formulas (which isn't hard at all as you'll find it as common sense)

Tennisaddict

HSC
I did all 3. Was a good decision :)

Eco and Bus cross over heaps, and Legal is a nice bludge subject, have fun :)

If you do the 'consumers' option for Legal, while doing Eco and Busn, you've pretty much hit the jackpot.

... Just don't bomb the Business exam like I did :lol:

Last edited:

determine

Premium Member
HSC
LOL mate youre way off base here. Its incredibly hard to get 95+ for business studies. Its similar to the way its very hard to get 90+ in Standard English.

So yea act like a hotshot who did economics who thinks Business is a joke but mate what you think a joke is probably not a joke to others (Eg Examine), for instance I think your ATAR of 98.70 is a joke..
That is extremely true. 94 in Business Studies is the 99th percentile (top 1% of the candidature), and when you think about the fact that there are over 15,000 students doing Business Studies, it is clear that it is not easy to get into that top 1% range. 95 obviously would mean that the percentile would be even higher than 99! When I did the HSC for Business Studies in 2010, I received 96, and I came 21st out of the almost 16,000 students that did it... that is like top 0.2% or so which really shows that it's hard to penetrate the top bands for the subject.

Business Studies I would also like to say is not a joke of a subject, as 13abie has tried to suggest. It may be straightforward and not require rigorous thinking and contemplation about the course content, but what it does require is a level of analytical skill and an ability to synthesise the knowledge that you learn across all the topics, particularly when forming an examination response. It is a very syllabus-driven subject, and it is not something that you can just 'walk into an exam, write whatever and hope to get through' - I am sure that the student 13abie referred to was a rare example of someone who could just walk in there and top the trial, but that could also suggest that the Business Studies cohort at his/her school was not very strong anyway, which may explain why that student was able to top the trial without actually undertaking the course.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
But note

New syllabus which can mean that past trends in scaling/aligning can totally change.

Determines 100% correct that business is a syllabus subject. It's almost impossible to do well if you haven't studied the course. It's sort of like legal in a way. In legal it's alot of reading / syllabus work and that you need to base arguments and points based of what you have learnt.

Mrkingofstuff

HSC
That's what I thought in regards to the two being considered easier. They seem more straight forward but it seems like they're very term heavy and a lot of it you wouldn't just know.

Funnily enough, business studies was the most picked subject (not including math). I have no idea what the majority of the people are doing in the class, I can name at most people who actually are interested in business, finance, economics etc. like myself. The rest just did because it is considered easy. All good for my potential ranking I guess?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)