• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Doing HSC by distance interstate? (1 Viewer)

susubean

HSC
Is this actually possible..?
Has any one done this or does anyone know someone that has done this?
I'm in Year 12 at the moment, really struggling with a decision to move to Melbourne from NSW.
I know I could just do VCE, but a teacher at my school mentioned the possibility of HSC via distance...

Anyone have any advice?

Or know of any way to complete a HSC at an accelerated pace? (ie. finish faster this year so I can move to Melbourne faster..?)

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
There's no rule against it - there are Australian international schools that run the HSC all over the world. You could probably do it through OTEN (http://www.oten.edu.au/oten/core/showpage.htm?pg=siindex&cofferid=289676).

That said, DE sucks if you're not all that motivated, and you'll probably find it even harder to make friends etc. down there - although given you're already in year 12 that won't trouble you for too much longer I suppose.

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
as a student who is currently doing 1 subject via OTEN, I wouldn't want to be doing my entire hsc with them.

funnytomato

HSC
why the hurry? it's like 9 months till hsc finishes for you.

susubean

HSC
The courses offered by OTEN aren't fantastic..
But thanks so much for the advice, I really appreciate it.
Looks for now like I'll be staying here and finishing the HSC. :( :(
Unless I want to do a VCE at TAFE in Victoria starting in July, and apply for Recognition of Prior Learning for my Preliminary subjects.
I think that means I would finish in July 2012... Whereas I suppose I could be finished this year if I just waited it out.
What month do HSC exams finish? November, right...?

funnytomato

HSC
The courses offered by OTEN aren't fantastic..
But thanks so much for the advice, I really appreciate it.
Looks for now like I'll be staying here and finishing the HSC. :( :(
Unless I want to do a VCE at TAFE in Victoria starting in July, and apply for Recognition of Prior Learning for my Preliminary subjects.
I think that means I would finish in July 2012... Whereas I suppose I could be finished this year if I just waited it out.
What month do HSC exams finish? November, right...?
mid-November for all the subjects to finish, but I finished like a week before that

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
If you don't HAVE to move, don't do it until after HSC is over, otherwise it's a waste of 1 year and also whatever school fees or textbooks and resources you've bought and paid for.

Last edited:

xx_maree

HSC
I'm doing my course through OTEN and it gets really difficult at times trying to teach yourself different topics. But i think it also depends what type of learner you are, personally i can read something and understand it whereas others need a teacher to well .. teach them. It also means that you have to be on top of everything, no teachers really call you up and ask where your assignments are, you work at your own pace and you're in charge of yourself. If you know your a procrastinator then don't do distance education, chances are you'll end up either taking your time and doing it over a longer period like 3 years, or not do as well as you could've if you had someone giving you that extra push. My advice is to just stick to finishing the HSC in NSW. A couple more months of solid work and then your free from high school and the HSC.

BTW it wouldn't be 12 years wasted, but it is a waste of 1 year and also whatever school fees or textbooks and resources you've bought and paid for.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)