• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Doing HSC third time round... need advice to do psychology with crappy uai (1 Viewer)

kaspa_lee

HSC
N/A
Im doing the HSC for the THIRD time its so horrible, I moved from an A grade selective school from doing pathways, then dropped out, then HSC at tafe, then dropped out, now doing it at my crappy local high school. I know i wouldve of gotten a decent uai around 80 or so if i did it the first time, but i believe i wont get over 50 now. I just want to finish school now because its just torture atm. I've been getting very unmotivated for the past 2 years and I know i wont be getting a very high UAI.

A reason for this is that i dont know what i want to do with my future. Something I do wanna do though but seems out of my range is psychology. i wanna know any possible ways to eventually bridge into doing psychology, or a related psychology/social sciences course in uni. Im wondering if anyone knows the best way to approach this, either through tafe, non-awards schemes etc etc. Also would anyone recommend me wait till it was 21 and use mature age entry because ill be 19 by the time i finish HSC and I dont see the point in working my way up because im sure itll take a while.

The worst thing ever is not knowing what you wanna do after school, its a big problem so if anyone has any advice or information it would be greatly appreciated. All help welcome!

Thx in advance

Arkad

HSC
Hi kaspa, are you saying that you never actually did the hsc exam in the last 2 years even though you went to school? What is the reason for that may I ask?

I think you should study hard now and try to get into phychology, because waiting around and doing nothing is a sure fire way to lose more motivation.

You said the worst thing is not knowing what you want to do after school, but the best way to combat that problem is getting a high uai and read the job guide so you can have choices.

Ah, my advises are just too general to be helpful, sorry.

aim54x

XccenTRiX
lost in the mists of time, shrouded by thought
HSC
u can do psych through arts, although if ur willin 2 travel a lot of the other unis have lower entrance cutoffs.

ps. if u haven't sat 4 d exams b4 don't worry bout negative effects as they only harsh mark ppl who have done d exams b4. dats wat i've been told

timrie6

HSC
N/A
kaspa_lee said:
Im doing the HSC for the THIRD time its so horrible, I moved from an A grade selective school from doing pathways, then dropped out, then HSC at tafe, then dropped out, now doing it at my crappy local high school. I know i wouldve of gotten a decent uai around 80 or so if i did it the first time, but i believe i wont get over 50 now. I just want to finish school now because its just torture atm. I've been getting very unmotivated for the past 2 years and I know i wont be getting a very high UAI.

A reason for this is that i dont know what i want to do with my future. Something I do wanna do though but seems out of my range is psychology. i wanna know any possible ways to eventually bridge into doing psychology, or a related psychology/social sciences course in uni. Im wondering if anyone knows the best way to approach this, either through tafe, non-awards schemes etc etc. Also would anyone recommend me wait till it was 21 and use mature age entry because ill be 19 by the time i finish HSC and I dont see the point in working my way up because im sure itll take a while.

The worst thing ever is not knowing what you wanna do after school, its a big problem so if anyone has any advice or information it would be greatly appreciated. All help welcome!

Thx in advance
I would try to get into CSU Bathurst psychology, the uai is low and there are heaps of alternate entry schemes into rural unis

OS

Banned
HSC
Me Too!!!!!!

kaspa_lee said:

Thx in advance

Oh my gosh, I'm not alone, I am doing the Pathways program and am in my third year - I did two subjects the first year, two the second and I'm doing my last this year. A long haul but I have used the spare time to work, get well (I was in hospital for most of Year 11) and think about my future - I don't know what I want to really do either. I have thought about doing uni - nutrition, psychology, social work but I don't know if I'd cut it!! Otherwise, just get a job in retail, or something else?? It is soooo hard when you don't have a definite direction and are still waiting to finish the damn HSC!

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
And CSU is alot more fun than Sydney Unis :p

If you haven't sat the exams yet, then do it this year. There are plently of alternatives to direct UAI entry, especially if you look at UNE or Wollongong (Principals Rec, Early Entry) Mac does non-award (it just costs a fortune) or you could perhaps get in contact with Wollongong Prep -- I'm not sure if you need a HSC for that. You probably do, but there might be a way around it?

Anyway mate, good luck with it all

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
aim54x said:
u can do psych through arts, although if ur willin 2 travel a lot of the other unis have lower entrance cutoffs.

ps. if u haven't sat 4 d exams b4 don't worry bout negative effects as they only harsh mark ppl who have done d exams b4. dats wat i've been told
That's very untrue. You can do the HSC for or over a maximum of 5 years.

It doesn't matter how many times you repeat. The HSC is BLIND MARKED. They don't know who you are and they don't mark you harshly for repeating! That would completely violate the equity stuff.

Last edited:

doingHSC

HSC
how bout doing B science which generally has a lower uai than psychology, and then majoring in psychology.You wont be affected dearly by going to a crappy school, as long as u have a respectful ranking and give it ur best shot.
good luck

timrie6

HSC
N/A
White Rabbit said:
And CSU is alot more fun than Sydney Unis :p
yeah, everyone I know who goes there absolutely loves it-
and my friend got into psychology with a uai of 50 or 60, he wormed his way in somehow

boasboy

MUSTARD*
HSC
my friend got a uai of 70 ? and he is doing social sciences or something at UWS and majoring in psychology.. i think that's a possible way ..

i'm year 12 now so i dnos lol.. can u transfer unis ? like.. from social science UWS to psychology at usyd ?

rantman

HSC
N/A
kaspa_lee said:

Thx in advance
3 bites at the cherry? just throw in the towel ffs

jobstart > centerlink is the way to go

OS

Banned
HSC
rantman said:
3 bites at the cherry? just throw in the towel ffs

jobstart > centerlink is the way to go
Don't tell her to do that! Start out relying on Centrelink and you're on your way to a crappy future.... Stick out the study and you will reap the rewards... Macquarie University ad - '' At school you flushed his head down the toilet. Now his earning $200, 000 a year.''

BTW, hard work pays off, too. Stick to what you're doing, put in your best and in the long run you be happy.

rantman

HSC
N/A
200,000.... half goes to repairing his burst ear-drums, a third goes to counselling

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)