doing more e1 study than adv (maths) even though it counts for half (1 Viewer)

HSC
what do people think about spending more time on e1 than adv even tho it is worth half.

rn im dedicating basically all of my maths study to e1 - my reason being is that adv is quite easy and i think if i give myself a month out before trials for doing past papers I should be fine. Also e1 scales better even tho it is one unit and is harder (hence why spending more time)

that being said, a 99 in probably scales better than say a 45/46 in ext1. bit stuck rn on what I should be focusing on more rn (trials are in week 5) any advice?

scaryshark09

∞∆ who let 'em cook dis long ∆∞
HSC
Idk how many units you have, but you definitely don't want to spend too much time on ext 1 and compromise your advanced mark which you are definitely counting and keeping most likely. So I would say spend around 60% of your time on adv and 40% of your time on ext 1 from now until trials. Doing that would get you a pretty similar mark in each subject when considering scaling. You might find adv easy but you still need to do lots of practice questions otherwise silly mistakes and careless errors are more likely. Ik it might seem pointless to do adv study when you don't know a lot in ext 1, but definitely don't ignore it, cause adv is easier and therefore scales worse, so you need to get a high raw mark to compensate.

carrotsss

HSC
tbh lower levels just become easier once you do ext I don’t really blame you, if you’re already getting nearly 100% then there’s not much point doing any more study

something to keep in mind w maths (especially ext) is that there’s extreme diminishing returns, like beyond 60/70 raw in ext1 the difference to your ATAR is so minimal that you might as well just focus on English

what do people think about spending more time on e1 than adv even tho it is worth half.

rn im dedicating basically all of my maths study to e1 - my reason being is that adv is quite easy and i think if i give myself a month out before trials for doing past papers I should be fine. Also e1 scales better even tho it is one unit and is harder (hence why spending more time)

that being said, a 99 in probably scales better than say a 45/46 in ext1. bit stuck rn on what I should be focusing on more rn (trials are in week 5) any advice?
when u think about it with scaling, you’re actually usually better off focusing on getting a higher mark in the lower scaling subject because in a better scaling subject you’re already getting a high scaled mark, and so there’s less scaled marks to be gained as opposed to the lower scaling subject where there are way more scaled marks left to be gained. sorry if that makes no sense

scaryshark09

∞∆ who let 'em cook dis long ∆∞
HSC
tbh lower levels just become easier once you do ext I don’t really blame you, if you’re already getting nearly 100% then there’s not much point doing any more study

something to keep in mind w maths (especially ext) is that there’s extreme diminishing returns, like beyond 60/70 raw in ext1 the difference to your ATAR is so minimal that you might as well just focus on English

when u think about it with scaling, you’re actually usually better off focusing on getting a higher mark in the lower scaling subject because in a better scaling subject you’re already getting a high scaled mark, and so there’s less scaled marks to be gained as opposed to the lower scaling subject where there are way more scaled marks left to be gained. sorry if that makes no sense
lol why you aiming for state rank then in ext 1 😭

ms_grape_taco

HSC
How would you recommend to manage time for ext 1 and ext 2 maths? I have ext 2 in the first week and then ext 1 in the third week?

Vall

HSC
because I enjoy maths

I’m aware it an irrational thing to do though so I’ve pretty much stopped studying maths to focus on english
the other option is to never study english and just do really well in everything else (despite the finishing returns) and still get a good atar

DISCLAIMER: please consider whether the academic advising provided by “vall” is appropriate to your specific circumstances. this does NOT constitute any form or legal or financial advice and vall will NOT be held responsible for the results of following any of the above advice.

hubertxschubert

HSC

- If you are comfortable with adv content and are at the higher end of your cohort, I'd suggest maintaining focus on e1 as it does scale quite high and is still a significant unit. Because you are an e1 student you will be ahead of the rest of adv in the whole of hsc, yet on the lower end of the e1 course, as there are heaps of e2 sweats who count their e1 as 2 units. So overall, keep going at it, but try to maintain a balance and not get complacent with adv (by making silly mistakes). This happened to a lot of people in our school's recent test and have basically fucked up their 2 units because they were grinding e1.

So keep both those point in mind, but all in all, don't be sweating up for a high band e4 if it means sacrificing it for below a 98 in adv.

Vall

HSC
u probably shouldn’t just do 3u study. i (as a 4u student) didn’t study for 3u at all until after my 4u exam during the HSC block which i regret. did kinda bad on the 3u exam and should’ve studied more for it

Vall

HSC
ik 95 ain’t bad but you gotta remember this is boredofstudies.com (atar below 100 is bad lol)

nsw..wollongong

HSC
nah cuz i got my predicted atar today by my mentor and I'm this close to jumping in front of a train

Vall

HSC
i always wonder how accurate estimates by teachers are
i can get a lot of school avg marks and i consider the average mark, b6 number and my rank to get a rough estimate
hypothetically if the average for eng were 84.2 and my ranking was 20/120 (real numbers !) and there were 14 b6s, then i'd assume my internal would be like a really high b5
then i plug these values into uac atar compass and play around (atp my life is so sad that i edit mark values randomly and try guess what uac will output)
yes welcome to the life of a late yr12 student
it’s basically impossible to estimate ur atar exactly but i reckon you can get a pretty good idea (like within an atar point) by after trials - if u r being realistic

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)