Donne (1 Viewer)

Divya

HSC
donne- criticism

I didnt like any of the religious poetry- but the love poetry (i.e. valediction) was realli good.
Our skool had studied criticism from:
- Stevie Davies (feminist- Sunne Rising),
- Helen Gardner (Batter- psycho),
- Elaine Hobby (feminist +psychoanalytical - Sunne Rising, psycho-Valediction) and
- Stanley Fish (he jus raved on abt donne being a looser)

they were all pretty good.
I understand the problem with how the criticisms of Donne's poetry are harder to understand that the poetry itself (and we actualli went thru a criticism which I remember "criticised" the criticisms of being too "technical").

smegger_em

Clever Cookie
Melbourne, or as it shoulda, could, woulda been ca
HSC
Thanks for all that, i just find critical material to be a little over-whelming at times. I just sometimes wonder about all the people who find homo-erotic or marxist or exestentionalist or post-modern refernces in EVERY single poem from nursery ryhmes to limricks to epic ballards..

Jacinta

Em if u do find anything useful i would love for u to show me!!! (that's about as subtle as i get) I have just some of the stuff from my class and i haven't gotten anything really outstanding or interesting. It's actually all a bit pointless and boring.

tweakin

my playes last scene

Donne suxxxx.
Anyone got any info on the holy sonnet "my playes last scene"?
THanks

pulse

meh meh meh meh

emily quilty and mac have, i would think, about 400 pages of photocopied stuff from critics and donne. why dont you just borrow form their private stash.....they will lend it to you

smegger_em

Clever Cookie
Melbourne, or as it shoulda, could, woulda been ca
HSC
Becuase they didnt bother referncing it!!
You know when we were given some in class and had to go through it, they put the publisher and everything on it but for got the AUTHOR. They are stupider then me and its very frustrating
And also cause i am lazy and wanted people to help me so it took less time

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
they are pretty intelligent when u think about it
but way too influenced by his context and personal views and religion

but hey, thats the point rite....

ice_cream

how can you like donne's poems!!??
how many critics are we expected to know? cos have limited information on critics..and that 400pg stuff that some1 mentioned..i don't think i even have 10% of it....

Big Willy

Cabra Junkie RULES
HSC
I got plenty of crap on Donne, but they are all notes and photcopies from the teacher

I think you should relax with the critics (ie dont get stressed by them). From what i understand, you just need a stance from each critic, and the historical context from which they are from. (correct me if i'm wrong).

The aim of this module is 'critical study of text', and hence, you should focus on how his ideas are praised/criticsed by urself and other criticts (3 is enough). Dont mix 'ideas' with textual integrity (eg techniques, devices and shit like that)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)