dot point- SPACE (1 Viewer)

needsomefreedom

HELP....anyone

couldnt be bothered, someone might have easy access that could save me some time. just need a quick summary of this dot point in space

RELATIVITY

Discuss the implications of mass increase, time dilation and length contraction for space travel

I HATE THIS SHIT :spam: haha how good is this picture

tieki

This won't be exact, it's just off the top of my head, but here goes:

- Mass increase can have quite a few implications, the biggest being the energy needed to move the spaceship. If something has an infinite mass, then an infinite amount of energy is needed to move it, making travel costs very high...

- Time dilation as well as length contraction allows for very long trips to be undertaken in a short time, as measured by the traveller, however time would pass normally outside the non-inertial frame of reference (spaceship).

So basically, when travelling at such high speeds, time dilation and length contraction could theoretically allow exceptionally long space journeys in relatively short periods of time (as seen from the traveller), however relativity also indicates that the cost of energy to do this would be prohibitive, due to the increase in mass.

Hope this helps! Post again if you have any more questions

:)

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
Originally posted by needsomefreedom
HELP....anyone

couldnt be bothered, someone might have easy access that could save me some time. just need a quick summary of this dot point in space

RELATIVITY

Discuss the implications of mass increase, time dilation and length contraction for space travel

I HATE THIS SHIT :spam: haha how good is this picture

read Jacaranda n u shud be fine....

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
What I say might not be correct, but with length contractions, space objects would seem to be of wrong dimensions, and cause difficulties in navigation. Therefore there could be dangers of colliding to asteroids because it seems "flat", and therefore a new technology for computerised navigation in light-speed must be invented..

Im not even sure if i'm right :D

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
i had trouble with this dot point too.. but only for length contraction

it shortens the distance u need to travel.. (according to my physics teacher) so therefore u have to take it into account when travelling long distances at relativistic velocities

but taking into account time dilation; won't ur velocity also change??? i heard thats where relativistic velocities comes in but apparently thats uni stuff so i won't bother

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)