dot pt summarises (1 Viewer)

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
i am doing my summarise using my textbook first, then read thru the other resources and add on if neccessary
the thing i dont get about the syllabus is exactly how much u have to know about the point

for me, my summarises r short but pretti concise and answer the dot pt
but some frds have pages for one dot pt, "juz in case" they need extra bakground information

is it neccessary? coz i find the task enormous if i need to go and find extra background info as well. =\

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
I usually find that it helps to read the language used in the dot point. If it's something like "Outline Newton's concept of escape velocity" or "Describe Galileo's analysis of projectile motion", then I write a paragraph or two since the dot point is asking for an outline or a description. However, if the point is "discuss the effect", "analyse information", etc then I tend to write more, as these dot points require pros/cons, a presentation and then analysis of information, etc.

for me, my summarises r short but pretti concise and answer the dot pt
but some frds have pages for one dot pt, "juz in case" they need extra bakground information
It depends on what the "just in case" info is. I feel that it's a waste of time having pages to each dot point because you have a hundred or so more to learn, and that's only for one subject. It's nice to try and nab an extra mark or two, but not nice if that comes at the expense of 10 more marks elsewhere.

That said, I find that reading past papers while I'm writing dot points is beneficial, as it gives you an idea of what types of questions there are, which dot points are expanded on, and what type of background info you should need.

I_F

Last edited:

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
ahh! good pt! !
i juz tend to squeeze everything i saw in my brain

and left wif a general idea of everything, except cant recall them in details.

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
most importantly, u must have the right key terms and/or equations in ur explanation/assessment in answering a question. the marker would be looking for those key terms and/or equations - and marks them accordingly.

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
wow
so writing the answer in your own language doesnt work?? O_O

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
mitsui said:
wow
so writing the answer in your own language doesnt work?? O_O
As long as the marker an understand what you've said, and your answer actually answers the question (i.e. you haven't written a list when the question says "describe"), then you should be fine. :)

I_F

Last edited:

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
ohok.
so u have to understand the concept in ur own words
but try to memorise the way it is written in the textbooks? gota cha. XD

Riviet

HSC
N/A
It's good that you're not just using your textbook, because no textbook is sufficient by itself when you're summarising. Also you should only need a page at the most for most dot points, the discuss type dot points could do longer because you might be asked mini essay worth 6 or 7 marks and you need the detail then.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
mitsui said:
ohok.
so u have to understand the concept in ur own words
but try to memorise the way it is written in the textbooks? gota cha. XD
Using scientific terminology is part of the syllabus, or maybe the requirements for the exam, I can't remember exactly where it was, but it's there.

Another thing is, even the dotpoints that seem like you wouldn't need to write much, could be used as or incorporated into long answer questions in the exam; don't put anything, no matter how ridiculous it might seem, past the examiners.

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
thx guys! i guess if i got time (instead of cramming) i wll try to write as much for dotpts as possible. =]

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
lol ... jing? turning away from cramming?! i don't believe it .. haha

i knw 1 scientific terminology i love .. "propogate" hehe ... i love that word. dunno why. lol

i bought myself the "jacaranda hsc physics course 2"
really helpful. especially when they give the dot point in the first few pages and then reference pages that answer those dot points so u can write summaries.

although; it doesn't cover every aspect so i use the macmillan and excel hsc physics books which my teacher gave to the class.

^__^

beabenn

tambourine man
HSC
Jono_2007 said:
In Science, writing in your own words doesn't reward you very well. Your best bet is to write concise, scientific info. Enven if it means memorising a paragraph from a text book, or even direct info from your teacher.
You cannot be more wrong, I got 96 for phys and didn't regurgitate form any text book. To achieve a high band 6, it's not a case of regurgitating info but answering the question (addressing the key issues/ terminology and criteria that you believe the markers are looking for)

Riviet

HSC
N/A
beabenn said:
To achieve a high band 6, it's not a case of regurgitating info but answering the question (addressing the key issues/ terminology and criteria that you believe the markers are looking for)
Excellent advice, can't agree anymore with you. :)

helper

HSC
N/A
Make sure you relate the dot points to the context statement for each syllabus section and the contextual outline for a topic. Especially the PFAs.
Ensure you understand the skills and how they relate to column three points in particular.
Ensure you undertand how the dot points interact.

A l

HSC
N/A
mitsui said:
thx guys! i guess if i got time (instead of cramming) i wll try to write as much for dotpts as possible. =]
I wouldn't recommend that. You'll have an awfully tough time remembering and revising that much information. The best way is to have a deep understanding of the dot points rather than have detailed information crammed into one brain, because a typical band 6 student demonstrates extensive knowledge and understanding, not necessarily extensive information.

Jono_2007

My fingers are slowly slipping off a cliff!....HEL
HSC
beabenn said:
You cannot be more wrong, I got 96 for phys and didn't regurgitate form any text book. To achieve a high band 6, it's not a case of regurgitating info but answering the question (addressing the key issues/ terminology and criteria that you believe the markers are looking for)
I meant using the right infomation but also in context with the question, but might i remind you that as long as you answer the question regergitating the text book is not always a bad idea, because you know its the right answer, so cant go wrong.
However if the question is a discuss/assess/explain, then structure and detail is important, in which case regergitating the text book would be a bad idea, because the markers will be looking for, your own words (but with the right terminology). This shows the markers that you have extensive knowledge of the topic.

XcarvengerX

Chocobo
HSC
I think write in points form when you answered those mini essay questions will help you to actually answer all of the questions being asked so to avoid losing easy mark just because you think you have put it somewhere in your long essay but not clear or you just simply forget.

JID

HSC
Yeah i think dot summaries can be a double-edged sword, there good to study from etc but if they arnt detailed enough you could get screwed when answering a wordy question in an exam where it gives you the opertunity to write down as much stuff as you know demonstrating your knowledge on the topic. Perhaps dot points would be good for cramming but i suggest a good couple of reads of your textbook is nesseary. Im actually reading\studying from 3 diffrent texts at the moment- there all written to the syllubus and each text has its own way of explaining stuff- tis good, have fun studying :p

-Kurt

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)