• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Double degree or single degree + honors? (1 Viewer)

Enigma Machine

HSC
Hello,

If I do a double degree in CS + maths or CS + commerce, it would take 4 years but if I do a single degree in CS + honors in CS, it would also take 4 years to graduate.
I am not sure which is better in terms of employment.
I am 100% sure I want CS but would a double degree increase my employment prospects beyond software development jobs?
The problem with the double degree is that I get to do significantly less electives and I think electives are important for CS.

Would appreciate any advice.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I would advocate doing Honours in favour of a double degree provided that the Honours topic is industry-relevant.

One of the reasons why I got my current job is because my Honours thesis was directly applicable to the responsibilities of the team. It played a big role as a selling point.

Do a double degree if you think that the extra major allows you to apply for roles you would otherwise be ineligible for.

Have you considered doing Honours as a component of a double degree? I know that some degree programs offer this option provided you stay for an extra year.

Enigma Machine

HSC
Thank you very much OzKo and isildurrrr1, CS + Honors it is then, most likely :D
Other than the normal software development roles a CS degree leads to, I am also interested in finance so I thought a second major in statistics or finance would make me more employable in finance but I know many people who got into finance with just a single degree in CS and solid resumes.
I can make my final decision after second year for CS + maths because subjects are the same for first two years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)