Double Degree Questions (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hi all, I was looking at a bachelor of Engineering (Honours) & bachelor of science (computer science) double degree. I was wondering if the fees for this double would be the sum of both degrees added together. From this website https://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2024/3785?year=2024 it says there are 240 units, where you can figure out fees using this website? https://www.student.unsw.edu.au/fees/csp.

Also I would like to ask how the Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP) is done. Is it done automatically when you receive an offer? What would you need to do to specifically?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I think that it would be a good idea to first clarify the terminology. A unit is a subject, whereas units of credit (UOC) determine the value of a subject as well as the study load of a student. At UNSW, most subjects are worth 6 UOC, and taking a minimum of 12 UOC each term is considered a full-time study load. The higher a unit is worth, the greater its impact on a student's WAM.

Your total university fees constitute the sum of fees for each unit that you take. In a double degree such as the one that you are interested in, the total fees are not the sum of each single degree. This is evident in the program length, which is 5 years as opposed to 7 years if the length of each separate degree is combined:
  • Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) + Bachelor of Science = 4 + 3 = 7 years
  • UNSW Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)/Bachelor of Science (Computer Science) = 5 years
For example, suppose you take Unit A, Unit B and Unit C. The fees for these units are $1000, $1500 and $2000 respectively. You would need to pay the sum of these fees, which in this case would be $4500.

As part of the enrolment process, you will be able to apply for a CSP and a HECS-HELP loan. This is done by submitting an electronic Commonwealth Assistance form (eCAF). This is a fairly straightforward process and you should be guided through the required steps in the enrolment portal.

I hope this helps! :D

HSC
I think that it would be a good idea to first clarify the terminology. A unit is a subject, whereas units of credit (UOC) determine the value of a subject as well as the study load of a student. At UNSW, most subjects are worth 6 UOC, and taking a minimum of 12 UOC each term is considered a full-time study load. The higher a unit is worth, the greater its impact on a student's WAM.

Your total university fees constitute the sum of fees for each unit that you take. In a double degree such as the one that you are interested in, the total fees are not the sum of each single degree. This is evident in the program length, which is 5 years as opposed to 7 years if the length of each separate degree is combined:
  • Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) + Bachelor of Science = 4 + 3 = 7 years
  • UNSW Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)/Bachelor of Science (Computer Science) = 5 years
For example, suppose you take Unit A, Unit B and Unit C. The fees for these units are $1000, $1500 and $2000 respectively. You would need to pay the sum of these fees, which in this case would be $4500.

As part of the enrolment process, you will be able to apply for a CSP and a HECS-HELP loan. This is done by submitting an electronic Commonwealth Assistance form (eCAF). This is a fairly straightforward process and you should be guided through the required steps in the enrolment portal.

I hope this helps! :D
Thanks a lot Jimmy! Sorry if I'm mistaken but I thought the CSP is done automatically when you get an offer from UAC?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks a lot Jimmy! Sorry if I'm mistaken but I thought the CSP is done automatically when you get an offer from UAC?
No worries! UAC just mentions the fee type for a degree (in this case, CSP). You still need to apply for that and HECS-HELP when enrolling in your program.

HSC
Does anyone know the tuition fees per annum of a Bachelor of Science/Doctor of Dental Medicine at USYD for a domestic, full fee paying student?
My guesses were about 10k per year for BSci (first 3 years) then 60k per year (last 4 years). But am not sure

HSC
No worries! UAC just mentions the fee type for a degree (in this case, CSP). You still need to apply for that and HECS-HELP when enrolling in your program.
On this note, isn't CSP quite limited? So our application for CSP can still be (and for most domestic students, are) rejected, right?

liamkk112

HSC
On this note, isn't CSP quite limited? So our application for CSP can still be (and for most domestic students, are) rejected, right?
CSP is limited for most postgraduate degrees, however for bachelor degrees CSP basically just refers to the fact that u can use the HECS-HELP scheme to pay for ur degree, since the government offers CSP for pretty much every bachelor degree.

Luukas.2

HSC
As jimmy has noted, the fees you pay are based on the subjects / courses / units of study you take. Since double degrees allow you to claim some of the subjects as credit towards both degrees, the total units completed is less than for each degree separately, and thus the total fees is also less.

Applying for HECS-HELP is a formality, every domestic student offered a place through UAC will get the support. You can think of the UAC offer as coming with the ability to defer fees through HECS-HELP and the paperwork at enrolment is the formalisation of activating the support.

It is worth remembering that the amount of paperwork / administration / bureaucracy that goes on with universities and government systems is far beyond anything that might seem reasonable or necessary to an ordinary person of typical intelligence. My advice is to avoid asking why, and instead to accept that:
  • you have no choice but to comply with it
  • trying to make sense of it will only slow the process down and add to your frustration
  • pick your battles - you may want to push back at times, but in many cases it will be neither productive nor satisfying - so only go this route when there is a genuine need
  • when you do really need to fight against something, getting someone senior to support and issue instructions down the hierarchy is generally far more effective than trying to push upwards from below
  • most of the people you deal with directly are highly constrained in their discretion, they don't deserve your anger and can often advise you on what the systems allow and don't allow
  • some of the people you deal with directly have been captured by the systems and become almost mindless in applying rules and procedures - in which case, move on to someone else, again without treating them unfairly

HSC
As jimmy has noted, the fees you pay are based on the subjects / courses / units of study you take. Since double degrees allow you to claim some of the subjects as credit towards both degrees, the total units completed is less than for each degree separately, and thus the total fees is also less.

Applying for HECS-HELP is a formality, every domestic student offered a place through UAC will get the support. You can think of the UAC offer as coming with the ability to defer fees through HECS-HELP and the paperwork at enrolment is the formalisation of activating the support.

It is worth remembering that the amount of paperwork / administration / bureaucracy that goes on with universities and government systems is far beyond anything that might seem reasonable or necessary to an ordinary person of typical intelligence. My advice is to avoid asking why, and instead to accept that:
  • you have no choice but to comply with it
  • trying to make sense of it will only slow the process down and add to your frustration
  • pick your battles - you may want to push back at times, but in many cases it will be neither productive nor satisfying - so only go this route when there is a genuine need
  • when you do really need to fight against something, getting someone senior to support and issue instructions down the hierarchy is generally far more effective than trying to push upwards from below
  • most of the people you deal with directly are highly constrained in their discretion, they don't deserve your anger and can often advise you on what the systems allow and don't allow
  • some of the people you deal with directly have been captured by the systems and become almost mindless in applying rules and procedures - in which case, move on to someone else, again without treating them unfairly
If 6 units of credit (UoC) are 1118 dollars, then would a degree with 240 UoC be 44 720 dollars including student services and amenities?

scaryshark09

∞∆ who let 'em cook dis long ∆∞
HSC
If 6 units of credit (UoC) are 1118 dollars, then would a degree with 240 UoC be 44 720 dollars including student services and amenities?
its always more, plus you pay interest with HECS
my degree is 80k before interest. it will probs be alot more with interest seeing as interest rates are increasing

scaryshark09

HSC
im confused, google says its interest fee, but its indexed anyway which is basically the same as interest??

HSC
its always more, plus you pay interest with HECS
my degree is 80k before interest. it will probs be alot more with interest seeing as interest rates are increasing
Damn because of inflation or what? I might just pay upfront instead of using HECS-HELP

scaryshark09

HSC
damn so theres no interest, but there basically is interest cause its indexed bro

scaryshark09

HSC
damn so my 80k degree will cost me at least 100k, maybe i should just do engineering since its subsidised and like 1/3 of the price

scaryshark09

HSC
also u pay off hecs-help through tax afaik, so like u wont notice
can anyone explain the pros and cons of HECS??
like if we can pay upfront (for some of it, or all of it), is that beneficial, and but how much??

scaryshark09

HSC
which degree costs 80k bruh
idk i think alot actually. its 16k a year for 5 years. ive seen alot of degrees which are 16k a year. most 6 units of credit are 2k each, unless you do engineering

liamkk112

HSC
can anyone explain the pros and cons of HECS??
like if we can pay upfront (for some of it, or all of it), is that beneficial, and but how much??
upfront:
- u have to have a lot of spare money lying around (like, anywhere from ~5000-15000 per year spare money) but it is technically cheaper

hecs-help:
- no need for upfront payment if u dont have money, paid off seamlessly through the tax system, but technically the size of the loan will increase due to indexation though again u wont really notice since the payments are just through the tax system

basically if ur rich amazewell pay upfront, otherwise id just use hecs-help like everyone else

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)