Double Degree with Acst? (1 Viewer)

MrA

Do u guys recommend doing double degree's with acst? is it worth it in terms of employability after graduation/ workload, etc?

and what would be the best degree to combine with out of commerce, finance, economics, law ... (in terms of increased employment opportunities and/or usefulness in future acst, relation to acst)?

:D

dvse

HSC
N/A
I agree with flyin'.

Most useful majors to combine with actuarial studies would be computer science, stats, finance, accounting or maths.

Personally I would recommend something technical, as it is the hardest to learn later on.

Computer science is very relevant to grunt actuarial work. Without some formal training one's programs / spreadsheets tend to be absolute mess.

A double degree also opens up other employment possibilities. For example a friend of mine who did actl/comp sci got an IT positiion with Macquarie bank.

GoingNowhere

penispenispenispenispenis
Originally posted by dvse
Most useful majors to combine with actuarial studies would be computer science, stats, finance, accounting or maths.
where would economics rank? what's the pros and cons of it?

dvse

HSC
N/A
I think economics doesn't rank at all in terms of practicality. Actuarial work is at considerably lower level.

In my opinion they hardly teach you anything practical in undergraduate economics, with possible exception of basic econometrics.

GoingNowhere

penispenispenispenispenis
so economics doesn't help in terms of job prospects or usefulness

then why do combined degrees such as law and economics have a higher uai cut-off than most others?

dvse

HSC
N/A
I'm not saying a double degree is bad, it's almost always better than a single degree. However, economics is not the best choice to combine with actuarial studies because it is unlikely to be deirectly applicable in your work.

If you think that you would particularly enjoy economics by all means do it.

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
when ur talking bout eco, ur referring to app fin??

ND

HSC
Originally posted by Supra
when ur talking bout eco, ur referring to app fin??
Nope, economics and applied finance are two different degrees.

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
ohh ok, do u think app fin would dramatically enhance ur chances of getting a job, or in otha words, how would u rate it in terms of practicality compared with the otha doubles such as eco, law etc.

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
i missed hte "is as good an option" bit, which was teh key to my question, thanks for highlighting it tho...

lol if more than half the acstd students do it, i guess it is a good option, theyre all smartasses whove got 98+, so id take tehir word for it

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
fair enuff, i guess the only ppl who'd trully now if finance was really beneficial for their careers in the end would b those in the profession already

dvse

HSC
N/A
Yeah, it's really hard to make a good choice when you just start uni and have a very vague idea about what you want. Hell, I changed degrees/majors 3 times before coming to something I think to be reasonable. Of course, if I were to start again my choices would be different still ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)