Double degrees and accounting cadetships (1 Viewer)

boobooboo

HSC
hey i was just wondering if its possible to do a double degree as well as doing a cadetship with an accounting firm?

volition

arr.
HSC
I know EY do allow comm/law cadetships (they go for 8 years though iirc). Dunno about the other ones

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Different firms have different rules. Even if the firm doesn't outright offer it, you should discuss your options with the relevant HR contact asap regarding this.

It largely depends on the division you have been offered a cadetship with.

huangker

Crammer
HSC
My mate is on a comm/law degree on a cadetship with EY. Its going to take him 6 years. He started a normal comm/law degree. EY came to do a presentation etc at uni. So he started the process in first uni. He studied full time in 1st year. He will work full time and study part time 2nd and 3rd year. Study full time and maybe some part time work for 4, 5 and 6.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
huangker said:
My mate is on a comm/law degree on a cadetship with EY. Its going to take him 6 years. He started a normal comm/law degree. EY came to do a presentation etc at uni. So he started the process in first uni. He studied full time in 1st year. He will work full time and study part time 2nd and 3rd year. Study full time and maybe some part time work for 4, 5 and 6.
Tax (?), let me guess?

Conspirocy

HSC
i had a mate who started com/law

he had a cadetship for accounting only, and didnt tell the firm about his law

come the third year of his degree they figured out - by the time they invested all their resources into him, they had no choice but to let him do it.

not the best thing to do.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I reckon if you're open with the firm about it- it'll save you from having to cover it up and they might even understand your situation better. I know people who've managed to do cadetships with B Comm @ USYD by asking.

Meads

Drummer Boy
HSC
Trainee's are EY working in the Tax division can do a double degree.

It takes 6 years going at the recommended pace.

sarevok

HSC
is it really worth it? how much extra exp would you end up with in six-year cadetship as opposed to someone who does full-time five years and then grad job in the sixth? seems like too big a hassle imo

turtleface

HSC
well in the end they are the same since you start off a level higher after finishing your cadetship.

Some people want the extra money, job security etc.

I wouldn't say its a waste, because if it were, you could put an argument for just doing 1 degree and getting 3 years experience by the time the double degree cadets finish

its all a bit complex, and I guess it depends on your preferences.Different options cater for whether you're obsessed with becoming a cadet, or your obsessed with doing Com/Law etc.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I guess on the other hand you also have to consider, if you have 6 years work experience as well as the double degree, will that really improve your future prospects? Of course it will- but then, if your primary motivation (or comparison unit) is money, I'm not sure if the remuneration bonus will be that much higher than if you had done the double degree straight without the cadetship.

Meads

Drummer Boy
HSC
seremify007 said:
I guess on the other hand you also have to consider, if you have 6 years work experience as well as the double degree, will that really improve your future prospects? Of course it will- but then, if your primary motivation (or comparison unit) is money, I'm not sure if the remuneration bonus will be that much higher than if you had done the double degree straight without the cadetship.
I disagree.

You will climb the ranks at twice the pace if you have done the cadetship. Especially from Consultant to Senior Manager. This thus = significantly higher remuneration.

turtleface

HSC
My personal view is that all the different paths are the same. I think Cadetship are overrated, but thats possibly because I'm jealous of them, I dunno.

As for rising fast in an organisation...Does half the time mean that cadets make partner in 5 years?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Meads said:
I disagree.

You will climb the ranks at twice the pace if you have done the cadetship. Especially from Consultant to Senior Manager. This thus = significantly higher remuneration.
I think there are many other factors which come into play there.

Based on what I've seen in audit though, the cadetship accelerates you upto Manager; but beyond that, it's criteria-based. I wouldn't say it's twice the pace though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)