Double Degrees (1 Viewer)

mooskey56

HSC
Hey,
Im looking to study at UOW next year and am thinking of doing a double degree with b mechatronics engineering/b commerce. The only commerce type subject I have done was business studies in year 11 (dropped for yr12), and was wondering if i would struggle in the commerce half even though the only assumed knowledge for it is any 2 units of english? Also, say i didnt end up liking the commerce degree, am I able to drop it and just continue with a regular mechatronics engineering degree?

Cheers, Adam

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Many people change what academic area they focus on when they go to uni because many subjects are introductory style stuff in first year, so while I can't speak for commerce specifically, I can say that at uni its usually no biggy if you haven't done the subject before and its not on the assumed knowledge thingo.

You also can usually drop from a double degree to the single at most universities.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
mooskey56 said:
The only commerce type subject I have done was business studies in year 11 (dropped for yr12), and was wondering if i would struggle in the commerce half even though the only assumed knowledge for it is any 2 units of english?
If you are interested in doing it and put in the effort, I'm sure you'll be fine. :)
mooskey56 said:
Also, say i didnt end up liking the commerce degree, am I able to drop it and just continue with a regular mechatronics engineering degree?
I'm pretty sure you can, that's one of the many reasons why universities offer double degrees. Check up with UOW just to be certain that you can.

oOFallenAngelOo

HSC
Yes you can always drop down to a single degree. Or alternatively, you can take a break from one degree and focus on doing the subjects for your other degree. I'm currently enrolled in BLaws/Bbus; I did no law subjects at high school and only 1 semester of business (in year 9!!).

There are so many options with uni.. you can do the full-time 4 subjects per semester, you can drop down to 3 or take up 5... It's relatively flexible. A friend of mine in the same course was struggling with law so she decided to just do the busines subjects this semester.

If you have the drive to do the course you'll find it easier to motivate yourself to do the work. I was never the brightest maths student in high school and I've found this semester has been very difficult seeing as my Business Statistics subject uses a lot of Maths B formula! However my study has paid off so far... High Distinction in my first assignment and a Distinction in my mid-sem exam :)

The added bonus of a combined degree is that you walk out of Uni with 2 degrees! Law would normally be 4 years and Business 3 years, however combined it is only 5 years - 1 extra year on top of my law degree and 2 less years had I completed the degrees separately. But it's only worth it if you think you're going to put to use, or have an interest in, these qualifications (and I suppose it looks pretty good on your resume too!) and I guess it also keeps your options open. My intention is to work in the field of law but I have an interest in Business too... so you never know, I might end up running a law firm with my business AND law knowledge (lol). Who knows - it's 4years (and 6 weeks!) away till I graduate!

Hope this helps, best of luck!

Luv D
-xOx-

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)