Double Demerit Long Weekend (1 Viewer)

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Exactly, and it is not until you've been driving for a loooot more than 50 supervised hours that you have the experience and knowledge to know what to do when that kinda thing happens.
I'd done about 150 hours by the time I went for my P's, and not even then would I have been able to avoid an accident had something gone wrong around me.

Jiga

Really? I see every day people with full licenses that cant even control their vehichle at 50km/h let alone avoid an acident at 100km/h. And unless you've been in a situation before where you needed to aoivd an accident, or had some sought of training... I doubt whether your reaction at 100km/h which needs to be taken immediately without thinking will be aided MUCH by general driving experience, Its more like a reflex action.

Yes its kinda dangerous for people just off their p's, but 99% of people have the common sense not to go on highways straight away or do high speeds... and now people like myself who travel on the highway 4-5 times a week have to suffer big time cos a small bunch of people who will speed ANYWAY have to be somehow restricted.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Didn't you guys go to that Honda place where they make you sit in a MDX and slam the foot on the brake at various speeds to show the effects? (it was an excursion for us)... I'm guessing that the 20km/h difference would cater for potentially slower reflexes of a new driver? *shrugs*

hipsta_jess said:
So, in the half hour it takes you to go from L's to your reds, you think you miraculously gain the experience and skills to warrant going 20km faster?
No, but how can you justify some n00b who just got his L's being able to go at 90km/h? One of the first things many new drivers do is to go fast right? Well.. that could be a generalisation, but regardless, the speed limit restricts that.

Jiga

Haha never went their. But about reflexes, younger people actually have quicker reaction times so I would imagine that doesnt agree with that possible reason.

Im guessing they've come from the point of view that for every10km/h or so above certain speeds stopping distance increases.... but like I said, they are prity safe from the point of view that roads 100km/h only have slight bends and are usually in good condition. The ONLY factor that I can see making a younger driver crash at these speeds is losing concentration, I kno Ive done it before in lower speed areas where my friends have done something stupid at like 2am and Ive nearly hit the gutter but I always check all around before I see what theyve done :eek:. But in saying this on the highway Im always 100% focused on the road because its dangerous....not only do you travel 100m in 4secs but it takes your avg car like 25m or so to stop :eek:

PS. On that add with the cars hitting the truck side on and the matrix style thing - how stupid was that? One hit it fully front on so all the energy was absorbed across the bumper so of course it looks like a safer crash, while the other hit the back of the track at a height where the truck meets the windscreen resulting a horrific looking crash :rolleyes:

No, but how can you justify some n00b who just got his L's being able to go at 90km/h? One of the first things many new drivers do is to go fast right? Well.. that could be a generalisation, but regardless, the speed limit restricts that.
Nah I dont think most people at all speed straight away, personally I went by the book early on but as time goes on you get into a false sense of security and experience and throw the car around and speed....... and then you get your greens so you can go faster, so that idea doesnt work out IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

CieL

HSC
seremify007 said:
I'm inclined to think that the reason for speed limits on inexperienced drivers is because we are supposedly much more likely to have an accident, and if it's gonna be at a lower speed- then the results might not be so severe, or there might be a bigger gap to prevent the accident? *shrugs* But either way, I think the 90 limit is too low. I can understand why L platers need the 80 (they're beginners), but P Plates (Red) should be at least 100 in my opinion.
Well, think about Victoria.. even their Learners are unrestricted speeds.. if the road says 120, they're legally allowed to go 120

I wonder who has a bigger deal toll in accident: population ratio?

CieL

HSC
seremify007 said:
Didn't you guys go to that Honda place where they make you sit in a MDX and slam the foot on the brake at various speeds to show the effects? (it was an excursion for us)... I'm guessing that the 20km/h difference would cater for potentially slower reflexes of a new driver? *shrugs*
Ahaha yeah Honda driving something..

But we had an Oddessy.. but besides the point, I think at 80 they just stopped at the cones.. then at 100 they ran over the cones

This is with same driver, same reflexes, same car, same braking point.. but yeah..

katy-g

HSC
Got pulled over for an RBT tonight.

How cool are those new breath tester thingy magigs?? You just talk into them...

Technology is grand.

CieL

HSC
Hm.. well they have been around for quite a bit..

I remember my friend telling me about her mum talking into one of those AHHAHAHA..

"wuntofreeforfifesixseveneighnine.. TEHHHHHN!" <- fob talk if you haven't realised

katy-g

HSC
Oh ok, i havent been pulled over for RBT before...

Last time i was with my Dad (who was driving) and they still used those blow ones.

But yea, all i had to do was state my Name, age and address and, that was that.

CieL

HSC
The blowing ones suck..

First time I blew into it, I didnt expect to exhale for so long, I ran outta breath halfway and had to do it all over again

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Haha... I like the talking ones. I think it'd be cool if they did the "say the alphabet backwards" thing- i was practicing this the other night after drinking and managed to wow everyone else :)... but then i missed a letter. Z. oops.

Pace_T

HSC
man i couldnt do that shit if i was 100% sober anywayyyyyy so hard

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)