• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Dove Hawk? What the...? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Dove = person who discouraged arms production

Hawk = Somebody who wants arms production

I dont have any other details...sorry :(

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Well they mean exactly what the names suggest...

A dove = Peace, genrally those who are anti-war in a government (i.e Colin Powell) and try to promote diplomatic solutions.

A Hawk= Pro-War.

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
If you want to know where they come from, well I don't know who coined it but obviously it is based on the characteristics of the birds. Hawk- predator, kills other animals, big, scary. Dove- small, wimpy, non-agressive etc. The origin of the terms doesn't really matter.

madiness

HSC
Doves vs. Hawks

Doves and Hawks represent a split in the Carter administration during the Cold WAr. Jimmy Carter was an idealistic president with idealistic aspirations. his presidency was plagued by a split in his administration between 'doves' and 'hawks'. Doves believed that peace with Russia should be achieved through linkage of trade and arms reduction treaties, while hawks believed that military action was the only way to deal with the Soviet Union.

therefore, on the face of it, they are anti and pro-conflict, but they were both pro-war. it was only the way they were to go about achieving this that brought them into conflict. conflicts between doves and hawks plagued carter's presidency and left him looking weak and indecisive.

hope this helps... you posted a while ago, so maybe you already have the answer :p

Don Mackey

As far as I know Doves and Hawks is actually a turn of phrase coined during the Cuban Missile Crisis. It is more than likely that it predates this crisis but I know that the generals in favour of a pre-emptive strike against the USSR and Cuba where known as Hawks and the members of the whitehouse staff that were involved in the daily meetings on Cuba and who wanted a backdown by both parties were Doves.

Peartie

HSC
thats pretty right

Doves wanted peace or at least diplomatic way through things whereas the hawks wanted to get their through a militaristic way...people could be a hawk on one conflict but a dove on the other...Jimmy Carter changed from a dove stance to a hawk stance over his years as president.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)