Downloading from uniwide, few questions... (1 Viewer)

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
If i brought in my laptop, can i just connect to uniwide internet, or do i give my student number and unipass to log on, whats the process?

If i were to logon everytime, is there a download limit? What happens if u exceed this limit?

Also, if i were to download torrents (i use azureus) is there any way i could be caught? Would i be banned from accessing uniwide? Any way to prevent being caught? Any settings i need to change in my azureus program, or on my laptop, to make me invisible/unnoticeable?
I wont be downloading heaps, just music every now and then, but ive been wanting to get some dbz seasons, that'll be big.............

Answers/suggestions anyone?

Much appreciated :D

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
you login using your student id/unipass

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
no limits really, its up to you, and they might come after you if you overdo it

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
not sure if azeurus allows oyu to do this, but in Utorrent, you can enable protocol encryption which would encrypt the data that you would be transferrring just to be safe.

just don't download torrents on uni comps. they can see...

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
ROFL ive downloaded 16GB of Movies. and nobody has said a thing.

click here

to see my profile
HSC
Actually, if it's your first time connecting to uniwide, you need to reset your unipass in order to log in.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
lol.

i logged into webct, went into LEGT2721. and saw this:
Re: Copyright, P2P File-Sharing and the Internet
Please be informed as we're recently getting an increase of copyright infringements from students. Staff and students are reminded that the use of UNSW computer systems to download copyright-infringing material such as music, movie or video files is NOT PERMITTED. The University provides students and staff with access to computer systems and facilities for academic and administrative purposes. Individuals who are found to be using the University's systems to engage in conduct which infringes copyright – including uploading and downloading copyrighted files without the permission of the owner of copyright - are exposing themselves and the University to legal action, and will be subject to disciplinary action.
Students are also reminded that under the University's policy Acceptable Use of UNSW ICT Resources, copyright infringement by students will be treated as student misconduct under the Student Misconduct Rules.
The web is NOT a copyright-free zone. DO NOT assume that you are entitled to download everything you can access on the web. Some material may be on the web without the copyright owner's permission.
DO NOT assume that because you can locate a file through sites such as BitTorrent or eMule, that you can then legitimately download, copy or transfer it, even for personal use.
DO NOT, without the permission of the copyright owner:
• use University equipment or computer networks to download, redistribute or copy files;
• post music or other files on University websites;
• Post links on University websites to websites which contain copyright infringing material
• transfer music or other files to friends and family via University email; DO NOT use University equipment to burn music or other files to any external source eg CD, DVD, memory stick. Although some websites offer – with the copyright owner's permission - mp3 or other files for free download or at a nominal charge, the University's computers and network should NOT be used for this purpose. If you want to download or transfer music or other files for any non-academic purpose, this should be done privately, and not on a Universityowned
computer or through the University's computer network.
Further information: http://info.library.unsw.edu.au/osd/services/reserve.html
http://www.copyright.unsw.edu.au/ .

Kind Regards
Steven Yong
Computer Systems Officer
Technology Services Group
Australian of Business

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
Omie Jay said:
Lol...Whats ur secret Omium?
Oh, i dont have a laptop.

I just go into random lecture rooms/ CATS rooms.
and computer is always on.
I download.
Come back later. there finished.

Or i just go into the Chem Eng computer labs and Download off the computer with unlimited downloads $$$$

(Oh, and at the library, dont let your timer run out, log off, then log back in as soon as its about to expire. the reservation thingy wont work that way :) )

lol, i once had 7 Simlulatenous downloads going at 300kb/s
(off 7 different computers)

Though i wont say where i did that :santa:

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
U dont have a laptop, do u download onto ur unsw login? How can u fit 16gigs when we dont even get 1 gig space..

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
Omie Jay said:
U dont have a laptop, do u download onto ur unsw login? How can u fit 16gigs when we dont even get 1 gig space..
USB :)

Save directly to USB.

(UNSW tracking me down now......)

Last edited:

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
Haha, u must have a gy-normous usb. Do u use torrents? Cuz that would mean u'd have to download the torrent software onto ur login.

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
Omie Jay said:
Haha, u must have a gy-normous usb. Do u use torrents? Cuz that would mean u'd have to download the torrent software onto ur login.
i got 2 USB's
Nah i dont use torrents.
I use Megauploads/rapid Share

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
How do those sites work? I can only see stuff on uploading, not downloading....... u gotta become member? Costs anything?

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
Omie Jay said:
How do those sites work? I can only see stuff on uploading, not downloading....... u gotta become member? Costs anything?
Megauploads.com

You can download a max of 4 downloads per 4 hours i think.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
getta rapidshare acount. my friend actually has one. haha. pretty fast speeds on it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)