downloading on usyd network (1 Viewer)

clerisy

HSC
I'm living on campus, so my internet access is the usyd network. Does anyone know how to get limewire working on this network? Someone suggested VPN, so I installed it but limewire still won't connect. I'm technologically incompetent, so Ive probably crapped it up somewhere. Can someone instruct me on what Im supposed to do???

Thanking you!

Generator

HSC
N/A
With limewire I'm assuming that you will be downloading songs, right? If so, I suggest that you take note of the University's IT policy, because I'm pretty sure that it applies to you as someone living on campus and accessing the network from home as much as a student in an access or school lab.

boomalaka

HSC
I wouldn't worry. I live on campus and use limewire. Just don't ask me how it works...it just does.

HSC
N/A
Legal ramifications:

the university will sell you out in a second.

if you are going to do it (and I really don't support this) use a proxy for all of your internet traffic and encrypt it.

pm for details (it will require a lot of hard work if you aren't very technically literate)

I-Jester

Intergalactic Jester
HSC
The only people ever prosecuted in Australia for digital piracy were using a university network.

They got a 9 month suspended sentence from memory.

You'd have to be an idiot.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
Its really not worth it to use limewire on the uni network, particularly with all the legal ramifications re: file sharing programs at the moment.

Best to steer clear of not absolutley necessary.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Usyd was in a huge court battle recently over a post grad downloading songs werent they?
I recall the IT lecturer saying something about it when we were doing ethics.

Plebeian

ujuphleg said:
Its really not worth it to use limewire on the uni network, particularly with all the legal ramifications re: file sharing programs at the moment.

Best to steer clear of not absolutley necessary.
The legal cases involving file-sharing programs at the moment, as far as I can see, actually reduce the likelihood that end users will be prosecuted for downloading music. By ruling that companies like Sharman (who operate Kazaa) can be held responsible for copyright infringement by users of their programs, the courts have made it a lot more viable for the record companies (and bodies like ARIA) to prosecute these companies than going after the relative 'small fry' that are the individual downloaders.

However, that still doesn't mean that music piracy is a good idea - especially where you're not in control of the network. As for why it doesn't work, you probably have the ports configured incorrectly or something, but given the amount of pirated material that is rumoured to be on campus intranets, there must be some way to either (a) get Limewire working (b) get something else working or (c) just not bother with downloading yourself, and pull material from the intranet.

gerhard

HSC
only users uploading get prosecuted.
just dont upload.

Plebeian

I-Jester said:
End users have been prosecuted. They were using university networks.
But that was before the court case, after which point ARIA and co. had a more centralised way of stopping music piracy, or at least recouping damages for their losses.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)