Dr Du Face to face or SCOM Face to Face? (1 Viewer)

kkk579

hello
HSC
yea i haven't heard of her (i go to the parra one) + my teacher is mr mai, who's one of the senior directors. definitely try and bring it up - if i were one of the kids there i'd be really annoyed
does mr mai only teach at the parra campus? also who is better, mr mai or dr truong?

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
does mr mai only teach at the parra campus? also who is better, mr mai or dr truong?
i think he teaches at fairfield as well? but i'm not sure. i've never had dr truong (i've only met him once, during my entrance test years ago where he did a whole speech in the middle of the exam lol) but he seems like a good teacher. but mr mai is probably one of the best teachers i've ever had ngl

kkk579

hello
HSC
i think he teaches at fairfield as well? but i'm not sure. i've never had dr truong (i've only met him once, during my entrance test years ago where he did a whole speech in the middle of the exam lol) but he seems like a good teacher. but mr mai is probably one of the best teachers i've ever had ngl
also r u getting the q bank they promised to give us when they made the change?? how come i don’t have any q bank

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
also r u getting the q bank they promised to give us when they made the change?? how come i don’t have any q bank
i've had the 3u question bank since year 10 i think, my class was one of the first classes to get it, definitely call them up about it if you haven't got it yet

kkk579

hello
HSC
i've had the 3u question bank since year 10 i think, my class was one of the first classes to get it, definitely call them up about it if you haven't got it yet
oh I’m assuming it’s only for y10 and up then, I’ll end up getting it next year then

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
pethmin, why are you repeating your HSC? I thought you completed it in 1998.

s97127

HSC
I've seen classes go for $2k from sigma- let that sink in. These tuition centres get paid more than hospitals do 💀
you mean $2k per term at Sigma Science? That's more expensive than ACE.

Lunelle

HSC
As a student that attends a school that does not foster an academically competitive environment, I would know the difference that tutoring centres have made on my educational journey to a great extent. I don't attend an academically selective school, meaning that efforts placed on rigorous training and coaching is very minimal.
My parents have invested a lot of money into tutoring centres such as NorthShore, QED, Dux College, Matrix Education, ACE, Dr Du and many more. Some were great, while others were not providing the coaching that I really required. However, after all this, I can surely state that tuition is an investment if you do not attend an academically selective school. With no motivational peers, and an environment that focuses on other aspects of school life other than the competitive nature of the HSC, one can only receive top grades by being around students that DO care about their studies -- and most of these students can mainly be found in tutoring centres.
Remember that the HSC is not a race that the student must go through alone. Its is a family effort. A communal effort. Everybody plays a part in your final outcome. The educational environment that surrounds you can definitely change the grades that you get.

carrotsss

HSC
one can only receive top grades by being around students that DO care about their studies
I think it definitely depends on the person, there are other motivators than just people around you e.g. getting into uni courses, I think it depends on the person.

Lunelle

HSC
I think it definitely depends on the person, there are other motivators than just people around you e.g. getting into uni courses, I think it depends on the person.
I agree with you @carrotsss that your university degree may seem as a great motivator, however when you attend a school where nobody is motivated, it can become very hard for your goal to seem sustainable or achievable. My school is not even in the top 150 schools, which is obviously a reflection of performance of the students (I won't sugarcoat this). In such a school, aiming for high uni courses seems like a fantasy, a mirage -- people would laugh at the kids that aimed for courses such as medicine or law. I found that my seriousness for my dream career only begun when I was placed in an academically rigorous environment such as a tutoring centre.

This may not be the case for everyone, but it has been the case for me in my opinion :)

Lunelle

HSC
Is this in relation to ACE? Yeah, I think they acted on student feedback, and now classes are 2.25hrs + more perks as opposed to be to compensate for less time
@Pethmin Did they really change it? That would be amazing! I currently attend ACE (Parramatta Campus) for Physics and Chemistry, but my classes have actually extended from 3 hours to 3.5 hours for the HSC course :(
It really is so tiring to sit for 3.5 hours, and I have both Physics and Chemistry on the same day so that's a good 7 hours of my Saturday gone. I would love to go to the ACE campus you go to as it would cut me down from 7 hours to 4.5 hours instead :)

Lunelle

HSC
on a sidenote how does phys tutoring go for 3h+?
Well, I attend the HSC lesson for both sciences. The original preliminary time allocated was 3 hours each, but then our tutors said that 3.5 hours was required to finish the syllabus and complete all the questions in class.

Lunelle

HSC
whoa - is the pace fast?
Yes actually T-T. I literally need extra tutoring for this tutoring because I do the accelerated tutoring course, meaning that the content I learn is 1 term ahead of school. But luckily the material and my tutors are awesome so by the time I'm assessed on it, I perform pretty well :)

kkk579

hello
HSC
Yeah, most people in this forum are selective and hence don't realise how 💀 it is to get motivated in a badly ranked school- I'm also in a school thats 🤡 in rating (like 103th place) so I get what u mean.
i thought kinross was ranked in 150s

kkk579

hello
HSC
Guys is chemistry or physics better at Zhangs? Bcuz looking at their 2022 results their band 6 percentage is higher for chem than physics but idk whether that’s due to chemistry being overall an easier subject or zhangs teaching chemistry better than physics.

kkk579

hello
HSC
I was in the same spot, where in year 10 I was doing accelerated and contemplating moving schools
am i the only one that did accelerated maths starting from this year and did not even contemplate on changing schools when i was offered lol
if im being honest i didn’t rlly care whether i could do the accelerated program much lmao (my new school doesn’t offer acc)

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
i dunno but our beloved @jimmysmith560 is watching this so maybe he could provide his godly insight

Ohhhh fair enough, I'm contemplating selective rn bc of what I've heard but would it most likely be too risky given I have prelims (for math) this yr?
Essentially, you exert the most significant influence over your own performance. Through your commitment, determination and diligence, you have the opportunity to set a high academic standard for yourself and ultimately excel in your studies. This applies regardless of whether you attend a comprehensive or selective school.

The primary benefit of attending a selective school is that you would be surrounded by students who have a similar mentality and goals to you. Most of those students wish to perform at a consistently high standard, which at the end of their school journey translates into favourable HSC results and ATARs. In terms of the impact that this presents on you, you would typically not need to aim for the top few ranks in your cohort across your subjects given that the cohort of a selective school is usually academically capable, unlike that of a lower ranked comprehensive school, where you may need to ensure that you rank as high as possible in order to have a good chance of achieving a favourable Assessment Mark (internal mark). Here, you should consider the statement that you feel represents your interests more accurately:
  • You feel motivated by friendly competition that is potentially present in selective schools, and you feel demotivated by the lack of interest from other students in performing well at your current school, or;
  • You feel that competition among peers that is present in selective schools may place pressure that can gradually increase as you progress through your studies, and that this pressure may eventually become overwhelming.
Regarding accelerated maths, you should check whether the selective school(s) that you are interested in attending would allow you to remain a maths accelerant. Other than that, you should ensure that you maintain good performance, not only in year 11 maths, but across your subjects, as selective schools are rigorous in their selection process.

With that being said, keep in mind that, in year 12, you can repeat a subject that you have accelerated if you end up unhappy with your performance for a chance at a better result.

I hope this helps! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)