• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

drama design help! (1 Viewer)

jazzmuzik

HSC
I'm already posted something similar to this but i didnt get many replies :( please a couple of replys! i need to make some decisons soon...

I am choosing my text for the drama design task, its out of Summer Rain, Visions or Private lives. When i read the plays i keep thinking of my design in terms of what is described in the stage directions. I know its common to change the time period and place of plays when designing for them so whats the opinions on this?

Eg. With private lives could i change it from the 1930's to today and set it in America... is this getting too far from the playwrights intentions?

How far should you go when you "play" around with the play in order to get a creative yet appropriate design concept.

Please help me!

MKZaa

HSC
there are dangers in appropriating SHAKESPEARE for a modern audience. Just look at the recent four-part series on ABC TV "Shakespeare Retold". MACBETH failed. MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING succeeded brilliantly. TAMING OF THE SHREW was hilarious and brilliantly executed (Shirley Henderson = AWESOME). A MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM was weird, and didn't work.

be VERY VERY VERY VERY careful about updating shakespeare, because it might not always work. the best productions are the ones that keep the base values and themes and expand upon it, rather like Theatresports and offers...

... SCHOOLS COMPETITION runner-up 2006 = ME! YAY! I felt like the black sheep of the team though. 2.5 double acts. i was the 0.5 - in both height and double-act terms.

OH WELL, keep up the work, and as my former Head Of Drama used to say... "It'll work on the night!"

Han.B

HSC
Im doing costume for Summer Rain its hard!
i cant make any decisions!:confused:
how are you going with it all?

jazzmuzik

HSC
Since starting this thread things have changed a little, after going back and forth from from "Summer rain" to "private lives", in the end i chosee... "The Ham Funeral"
I'm off to an ok start so no more worry.. for the time being. :) just in the reasearch stages:)

bro-blake

HSC
Goodluck with it all.
Although this probably wont apply now becuase you wont need to change the time period, but a cool idea is to change the setting from past to present (modern) but keep the costumes as timeless works. For example Romeo and Julliet (the version with Leonado De Caprio) uses a whole new concept by keeping the language in old english but changing the setting to modern america i believe.
There can be some great concepts by mixing and matching time periods, but i agree it would probably be hard.
I also agree that you should consault with your teacher and see what help and advice they can offer.
I love this assignment, it is very enjoyable and it's also engaging as it involves my hobby of computer design. But it is a big tidious task getting everything done.

HSC
graphic design... hmm *thinks of his ambitions. decides that this might be the way to go* yeah... mucking around on the computer is always good fun, expecially for DRAMA or for something that you love, (ie Drama, ENglish, Ancient History, writing plays, creating random funny stuff...)

yeah, updating shakespeare does have its dangers. although look at Baz Luhrmann's ROMEO+JULIET and A MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM - really good pieces of entertainment... now think of that in terms of what you can do, then do it!

GOOD LUCK
Glenn Saunders

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)